About the smithy's smithing system.

What do you think of the current Smithy system?

• It's perfect

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • It's great, but it could have a few small improvements.

Votes: 165 62.7%
  • Meh... I don't even really use it. Doesn't bother me as well, though.

Votes: 29 11.0%
  • I don't like it at all. I only purchase or loot weapons in the game and I hated Smithy's system.

Votes: 65 24.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, this annoying game mechanics needs some change. I'm using smithing only if I healing my army in city, but still it is annoying.

The best chest armor in the game is imperial scale armor at 50-20-20 (if you dont count debug stuff that's obviously not meant to be used)
4jnA9AT.png

There are a bunch of obscenely expensive bows & bits of armor - these things are so highly priced that I think it prohibits them from spawning in to shops.
No, those bows can definitely be found. Battanian Fian Champions use them and Battanian nobles have them equipped if you marry them. I've also seen noble longbows for sale in Pravend.

I feel like the whole concept of forging your own weapons is great, customization really add a feeling of freedom in a game.

But as it has been said previously it's EXTREMELY grindy, i would also like to point the fact it is actually not even worth in terms of trading.

I experimented a lot and please consider those numbers (For Bannerlord ! And science ! TL : DR at bottom)

After 120+ hour game i'm a solid smith 243

Lately, i spent hours roaming around for those 10 -150 wood stacks you find in cities because i really liked the concept of becoming the new Celebrindor and forge my own epic sword to rule them all.

I farmed nearly 6000 woods, used something like 300k gold to buy it (average price 50gold, low price 45)

And then i wondered, "the map is like, covered in woods why can't i use a good 'ol axe to get it ?"

Anyway ... i refined it in 4000 charcoal, to refine wrought iron in iron, blah blah blah

Now i have 90 Thamaskene steel worth at aprox 120k, and 60 fine steel worth aprox 42k

Sooo i already lost gold at that point but i didn't care i would forge my awesome T5 swords !

And i guessed (Dumbly) "the refined goods value will be higher than the actual resources cost" ... ho dear.

Finally i crafted 12 of them because it's 5 fine steel and 4 Thamaskene aaand ?

I got 12 Fine T5 handcrafted short-sword, worth 3966gold per unit for a rough total of tadaaa .... 47k gold

Yeah ... pretty underwhelming don't you think ?

Btw i'm 166 in trading so not that bad i think ? Shouldn't i be better at negotiating those exquisite one handed beauty ?

It seems like i can't make something worth more than 3966 gold, price is the same in every city i go, is the price caped for player crafted items ?

Same thing with lower tier weapons, steel / iron / wood accumulated values is higher than the final product value.

(tier 3 blueprints : total resource cost ~1300, value of final product is always 440)

TL : DR : Smithing is actually not worth it in term of economy, even if you max it and craft T5 items the crafting cost will be MUCH higher than the value of the final product on the market, and is not worth the time and effort you will put to get to the point you have the blueprints to craft what you want.

I apologize for the long post, but i really think this needs to be shared and I hope this will be at least informative for some of you.

I'm seriously surprised by this poll.

Did people not get sick enough of crafting iron daggers in Skyrim.
****ing Mount & Bow 2: Blacksmithlord I swear.

The system is ok but the way its implemented is just screwy.
It should not be a player skill. Make it a workshop you can upgrade in your fifes which dictates difficulty level, remove the stamina entirely, balance the game around everyone having access to it. Maybe you need to train up your workshops smith by providing him with materials and weapons, but making it a player skill is just no good.
I cant see how keeping it a player skill in its current form could ever be either not worth bothering with or mandatory. Making it based on managing your fifes adds another level of engagement on that level of the game as well.

The reason its a problem currently is, particularly with the stamina system in place, that this is a game with aging and death and time limits everywhere. Producing heirs is locked in to a narrow time window, the main quest line auto-fails after an amount of time - not to mention the simulation radically alters the world with time, time you are spending waiting in town. You are investing vital time that could be spent improving massive power gains through gaining fifes and leveling up armies and expanding your influence over the time it takes to level up and use the skill... or you can make a better sword for yourself. Its not a smart trade off when you analyze it.

Small little change should be changed this annoyng mechanic and it is - FULL STAMINA FOR SMITHING WHEN YOU ARRIVE TO CITY! ...It will be like a barttering ....visiting cities and do some smithing works without WAITING! ...After this change, smithing system will be same as bartering system.

Who are this peoples who think it is good?

1) It is pointless at all. Smithing just has no purpose in this game right now. You cant make money from it, you cant make better weapons then in shops, you cant even make weapons that you want.
2) it is grindy and boring.
3) it is RNG based.

Who are this peoples who think it is good?

1) It is pointless at all. Smithing just has no purpose in this game.
2) it is grindy and boring.
3) it is RNG based.
The sorts of people who have knee jerk emotional opinions about things and do not consider their positions. While i can sympathize with the desire to have some kind of crafting system, what we have just isnt working and it needs more than a few tweeks to actually salvage it. It could be greatly improved with a few tweeks so that its more usable sure, but it would not be made to fit in with everything else. It would still be a strange outlier in the skill tree

The stamina is silly why the hell do I use up all of my stamina by smelting hardwood for charcoal I can only make 10 bits of charcoal before oh sorry but you gotta wait before doing that again

News from another thread about smithing: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ry-post-your-smithing-creations.411738/page-2

You can use your companions for smithing. You just have to click the portrait button in the smithing screen and switch to your companion. This way it spends their stamina (which you can regen by leaving them in town), uses their smithing skill (which you can boost with their focus points), and gives smithing xp to them.

Yea but is still about 1) You have to wait and rest when you arrive to city 2) You can styl forged about 3-4 weapons in time.

News from another thread about smithing: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ry-post-your-smithing-creations.411738/page-2

You can use your companions for smithing. You just have to click the portrait button in the smithing screen and switch to your companion. This way it spends their stamina (which you can regen by leaving them in town), uses their smithing skill (which you can boost with their focus points), and gives smithing xp to them.
This results in a skill that the player should never ever take themselves then, and if thats the case why have it be a skill and not just an interaction with a smithing npc?

I modded/max my smithing stamina use so i could grind with little rest. evenso, the grind is still mindnumbing. the only nice thing is being able to create weapons to your liking and equipment companions. no armour/shields/arrows/xbows/etc all sorely missing. the grind is MINDNUMBING. ive probably decimated entire forests for hardwood. still with 200 smithing i cant make a 2 handed maul as the arm wont unlock. i still have not unlocked 50% of the stuff. lots of blades i want to make, no unlocks. oh yeah, and i upped my research gain from 50 to 800....

:sad:

remember guys, warband was fun.

bannerlord is grindy.

The stamina pool needs to be enlarged to 1000 points. Your smithing stamina should recover when you are traveling. The current system requires too much waiting around an it is maddening.

I don't know about 1000, might be a little bit overkill, but you definitely should recovery Smithing stamina while traveling. I travelled back and forth accross the entire map twice (I really like being a Wine-Pottery-Fur merchant for some reason...), by the time my troops recovered from wounds twice, my Smithing stamina is still at 10, same for all my companions. Or if it's not implemented, could we at least recover Smithing stamina in small villages? (I may be wrong here and maybe it works now, but it definitely wasn't working for me yesterday.)

I like the 'unlock weapon parts' thing, but it feels like you should unlock parts of the weapon you are destroying, not random parts.

Smelting down a sword shouldn't get you a mace-head.

The big fat #1 item I'd like to see addressed is that I can't see the stamina bar. May I please see the stamina bar? Because I'd really like to have a visual confirmation of how much more work I can do before resting, so I don't have to stop in the middle of something, wait a couple minutes, then try to remember what I was doing.

Basically I have a time management problem with smithing right now, due to the lack of an actual stamina bar. Because I have to stop and start so much I have a difficult time keeping track of what I was trying to accomplish. And yes, I am old, and yes, other people can probably do this without the visual help, and yes, a visible stamina bar it would be very helpful to have a little visual aid to cover my deteriorating short term memory.

If there is one already would someone please be kind enough to post a screenshot showing where it is?
Just put your cursor over your characters picture and it will show it! Also you can smith with all your companions as well! Same thing put your cursor on picture above and it will show all your companions and them choose one.

my two cents without reading all the answers: It's great that the system is there (I'd even love to have it for MP).

But it feels like an endless grind to get parts & the neccesary smithing skills. I smelted the weapons of many armies but got like 5 parts to make a sword.

I don't think it's fun to grind through the process of getting the parts for literal hours everytime you start a new game. There should be something like an alternative to let someone else (maybe a smith :shock:) do the work and you get a custom-made, yet expensive weapon; like 1000 gold per smithing skill point required.

I said “few small improvements” but I think it needs a pretty big overhaul.

- The stamina system needs removed or reworked. I’d almost rather it be a gold sink and spend gold instead of stamina?

- Stamina bar should show without having to hover over portrait.

-I’d remove the stamina recovery penalty from movement.

- Armor and other weapon types need added (I’m sure this is planned)

-Sliders are a little sensitive. Being able to use arrow keys to make incremental adjustments would help.
I agree completely, the current stamina penalty mechanic is total trash and needs to be reworked, maybe instead of having to wait in the city how about just a time penalty or moving on the map anywhere instead of having to wait in the city. A stamina bar would also be a very nice QoL info

D'oh! :facepalm:
Is there ANY way to reassign my smithing perks?! Cheat, hax, ANYTHING! I don't want to start again :mad:
I did not realise that I can get metal from salvaged weapons so I went full retard..umm I mean refine.
But now I can't learn pratically anything from smelting :oops:

perk.jpg

Make your companion covering the other perks and let him take care of the smelting and making coal and you should be gucci. You can still learn though but with a smaller chance. But no i like that you need to wait in towns. Make your army crippled when you need to concentrate on work during wartime. Or else its just gonna be to easy

Back
Top Bottom