A serious question for the developers

Should there be abandoned villager and castles that can be taken over?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

markp27

Sergeant
Calradia has basically been in multiple wars for the last 7 years. My question is where are all the abandoned villages and castles? and is there any plan to implement them into the game. Any continent that is in a constant war for that period of time would be rife with bandits taking over villages and with castles left ransacked and empty. To have neither of those seems to make the whole backstory a load of old tosh to put it politely.

I’m sure I’ve seen videos of battles in a ruined castle. I suppose it was a multiplayer map.

Bandit hideouts are always described as being located in “old ruins”, I’ve been hoping they’ll add maps that live up to that.

This is a great idea.

There can be a few that the player can invest money in in order to grow.
This would help the player start their own faction on a small scale early in order to avoid having to declare war.

I find it funny that people who support this come in and say they do, yet those who are against it never say why they dislike the idea.

It doesn't make any sense and wouldn't work. By the time you could take one as a player all the factions would have already done it. So even if the game started with them they would not last long enough for you to capture. Also being an independent faction with a single castle early game would almost guarantee you to be war decced ASAP by the main factions and destroyed. You would have to force factions to leave the bandit castles alone and your early game kingdom alone, which is unrealistic and not what they are going for.

It doesn't make any sense and wouldn't work. By the time you could take one as a player all the factions would have already done it. So even if the game started with them they would not last long enough for you to capture. Also being an independent faction with a single castle early game would almost guarantee you to be war decced ASAP by the main factions and destroyed. You would have to force factions to leave the bandit castles alone and your early game kingdom alone, which is unrealistic and not what they are going for.

This.

and fighting an existing weak faction to take their last fief is so much different?
Also, this obviously wouldnt be something the AI would be allowed to do

and fighting an existing weak faction to take their last fief is so much different?
Also, this obviously wouldnt be something the AI would be allowed to do
Yeah it is, it has whats left of a faction protecting it? Are you suggesting they add in giant parties of bandits to protect bandit castles?

Thats the problem, TW wants the player and AI to be allowed to do the exact same things, this would be limiting the AI in way that makes no sense. "OH you know im a giant kingdom and im just going to ignore this bandit castle to go fight another giant kingdom"? It makes no sense.

If you guys really need that much help getting a fief, become a vassal of a kingdom, win a few fiefs and then leave the kingdom with the fiefs and ask for peace from that faction.

If you guys really need that much help getting a fief, become a vassal of a kingdom, win a few fiefs and then leave the kingdom with the fiefs and ask for peace from that faction.

It's not that we need help, but my point is that it doesn't really change the situation significantly if you get a "bandit" castle or to make your own, or the last fief or two from a small and weak faction. Eventually you are going to get declared on by a much more powerful neighbour, and if you are unlucky, like I am, literally all of the other factions will also do it within a day or two, because F the player and his weak faction.

And not everyone wants to become a vassal and rebel in order to get a semi strong kingdom right of the bat every single time. That's bad game design.

+1

Just treat them the same as bandit hideouts. If they're taken over by non-bandit clans they could be extremely costly and time consuming to rebuild, requiring manpower and materials so that the player couldn't really do so without being part of a faction and/or owning a city and spending years rebuilding. Don't let them count as a settlement whilst they're still ruined, they'd provide no income and the player wouldn't be able to form a kingdom. Make occupying one as an independent clan raise your criminal rating etc. etc.

Just treat them the same as bandit hideouts. If they're taken over by non-bandit clans they could be extremely costly and time consuming to rebuild, requiring manpower and materials so that the player couldn't really do so without being part of a faction and/or owning a city and spending years rebuilding. Don't let them count as a settlement whilst they're still ruined, they'd provide no income and the player wouldn't be able to form a kingdom. Make occupying one as an independent clan raise your criminal rating etc. etc.
If you wanna go down this route, then lets just add in the hideout/camp/base thing from VC that is player only.

The reason it wont work is not a work of bad Game Design there are multiple away to earn castles and this would be the cheesiest No Matter what restrictions you can easily Rump recruits appoint a governor and start rebuilding it would Take 1 to 2 Years and by the time it is rebuiltit is still a settlement No Matter how ruined before finishing the rebuilding you would no matter what get declared war on by a larger kingdom and since you cant start a kingdo with a ruined castle you cant make lords defect so you would die never rebuilding it

If you wanna go down this route, then lets just add in the hideout/camp/base thing from VC that is player only.
I think that should be added.
The reason it wont work is not a work of bad Game Design there are multiple away to earn castles and this would be the cheesiest No Matter what restrictions you can easily Rump recruits appoint a governor and start rebuilding it would Take 1 to 2 Years and by the time it is rebuiltit is still a settlement No Matter how ruined before finishing the rebuilding you would no matter what get declared war on by a larger kingdom and since you cant start a kingdo with a ruined castle you cant make lords defect so you would die never rebuilding it
I don't see what kingdoms declaring war on you has to do with it. It would just be like a higher level of bandit hideout that could be used as a semi fortified spot if you take it. Some people like to play as bandits and not form kingdoms. The OP wasn't even about adding ways to get a castle but adding more depth to the map, so that it feels more like an ancient land which has been ruled for centuries by a great empire that has recently experienced a prolonged period of turmoil and destruction.

I think that should be added.

I don't see what kingdoms declaring war on you has to do with it. It would just be like a higher level of bandit hideout that could be used as a semi fortified spot if you take it. Some people like to play as bandits and not form kingdoms. The OP wasn't even about adding ways to get a castle but adding more depth to the map, so that it feels more like an ancient land which has been ruled for centuries by a great empire that has recently experienced a prolonged period of turmoil and destruction.
It seems you dont get the Point you will be surroended by Kingdoms who will declare war which gives the player no chance of virtually surviving and No it would Not be a hideout since i am pretty eure Lords cant Attack hideouts

Calradia has basically been in multiple wars for the last 7 years. My question is where are all the abandoned villages and castles? and is there any plan to implement them into the game. Any continent that is in a constant war for that period of time would be rife with bandits taking over villages and with castles left ransacked and empty. To have neither of those seems to make the whole backstory a load of old tosh to put it politely.

The lore describes Emperor Arencios as largely fighting on the border, against one enemy at a time and only for short campaigns. Apparently, nobody was both willing and able to move against the Empire in serious force after Pendraic and so they were just minor border dust-ups. At least until Arencios' assassination that split the Empire into three factions.

And that makes sense, because the unified Empire is big enough to casually gut any other faction in a few months' time.

Back
Top Bottom