50+ Clans Join Battania in 1.4.2x, is this how it is supposed to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I finally got all the video processed and uploaded, gameplay footage and saved game files in signature if it helps anyone.

This video goes through the encyclopedia after 4200 days and about 100 hours of play. Early in the game clans started joining Battania and the more lords I killed, the more it seemed to make the AI decide that it was going to have Battania win no matter what.

The entire play is recorded and saves are available throughout, so it is possible however lengthy of a process to determine what's going on if you're inclined to do that. With the respawn rates of lords being what they are midgame when Battania had the majority of the clans in the game they were incredibly strong. I finally had to eliminate everyone else and then crush them last.

Is this intended game behavior?

Oh and Monchug had 88 fiefs and I had 2. Thanks, lol.

If you kill off clans in a faction the 'game' starts giving them clans from other factions, seemingly to try and balance it out....
When I killed everyone they were kinda slow about it though and I could easily out kill them, but it made all the factions become small (with lots of fiefs) from the clans flipping towards the end.

Perhaps they sped it up in 1,4,2. I didn't watch your video yet so I don't know how much time went by.

Forgot too, if you ever want to just weaken a faction it seems too work well to just kill off some clan members but never finish the whole Clan, that way no new clans being giving to them. Don't know if they've done anything to ruin this in 1.4.2 since I'm playing a nice game for now, no killing yet.

When you capture a lord, you should be able to have them in the dungeon until you chose to let them go, ransom them, or convince them to join you. The auto ransom of lords is awful.

Currently they can not die in battle and only way to incap them is to execute them which is awful mechanic, it ruin your standing and turn you into a villain.

In my current game when I was fighting Battania. They apparently had a "hot line" to every merc in the game, because they all joined them without their leader seek them out to hire them. The AI can "auto hire" mercs without any effort, where you as a player need to hut down the clan leaders yourself to be able too. Also, imho, factions should only been able to hire mercs that is local to their own empires. Have camels running around up in Sturgia, seems a bit off..

When you capture a lord, you should be able to have them in the dungeon until you chose to let them go, ransom them, or convince them to join you.
That would've ruined the whole balance, since the situation is 'minus one lord - minus one potential army'. You put them in jail, they can't do anything from there, you easily defeat the majority of other lords, so the Kingdom will have nothing to oppose you and you will sacrifice nothing putting lords into dungeons, unlike the situation when you execute them - this at least makes you think a bit 'Shall I execute him and lose relation with half of the Calradia (which is stupid, lol, even enemies of the executed start hating you)?

I remember mexicco mentioned in one of the Patchnote threads that the time of being imprisoned will be increased for lords, but later, when some mechanics are implemented.

That would've ruined the whole balance, since the situation is 'minus one lord - minus one potential army'. You put them in jail, they can't do anything from there, you easily defeat the majority of other lords, so the Kingdom will have nothing to oppose you and you will sacrifice nothing putting lords into dungeons, unlike the situation when you execute them - this at least makes you think a bit 'Shall I execute him and lose relation with half of the Calradia (which is stupid, lol, even enemies of the executed start hating you)?

I remember mexicco mentioned in one of the Patchnote threads that the time of being imprisoned will be increased for lords, but later, when some mechanics are implemented.

If you put them in a dungeon so they don't come back again and again, or if you execute them to remove them totally. The difference would be, you won't get the reputation of vlad the impaler... or similar. By your definition, execute them would ruin the balance as well. End of the day the game is a number game. How much units do you have vs how much they have. a lord equal a company of men. At like clan level 5, you are limited to 4 parties in your clan. Recruiting lords is horrible broken, you get them to join, even give them fiffes, and they leave and join your enemies.

So you end up left with execute every lord possible, which doesn't make sense. Imprison them and throw them in the dungeon for later, when they wont impose any threats would been much better solution. The every day is a red wedding, is not fun...

I don't mind being a bad guy in a game, in fact that's what was intended this time. I killed everyone I defeated as soon as I became a vassal. I got lucky I could switch from Vlandia to Khuzait when Vlandia collapsed with such a bad rap.

The issue isn't so much they joined other factions as they joined one other faction in a dogpile. Then, they started having kids and before I could kill them all, I was fighting these disturbingly young looking lords with low tactics skills who would just charge you like looters do. So killing the whole clan off would solve that problem with one little other thing I did not expect.

When you kill off a clan with babies, you kill all the babies. On the execution it would say

SoandSo has been executed by Capitalis.
%babyname was lost
%babyname was lost
%babyname was lost

Which was a little ... weird the first time I didn't expect it

I would say the reason is because the game is a Clan War, not a Kingdom War. It's a power struggle where clans use the kingdom "flag" as their container to get power. In the end, the clan that wins is the clan with the most power ... you can only hope that the clan that wins is the ruler clan.

It's a shame that clans don't go independent and group together. Hey, why not ... the player is trying to do that exact thing!

I hope they improve this aspect of the game. There were plenty of good moments in the 600 hours I've played this, so while it needs some work, horrendous might be a little harsh. It's not a Postal III disaster.

GameSpy
Jan 2, 2012
It's frankly incredible to think that Running with Scissors made fans wait eight years for this. Is the trademark Postal "humor" still there? Postal Dude's frequent remarks about hoping to "
kill women and minorities first
" say hello. But a lack of freedom, unforgivable glitchiness, and generally terrible design make this a hard sell even for fans of the series.

I have played 3,357 hours of Warband and Warband mods and the defecting lord feature needs to evolve into something better. It sucked back then and it still sucks now, there are so many ways to fix this problem that are better ... here are a couple of examples:

1. Raise new lords from the ranks of the same culture for Pete's sake! This has to be the easiest fix, you can basically randomly generate a new clan with a clan leader when a faction needs more lords.

2. Limit defecting lords to be rare, so basically they only do this if they have no honor. Honorable lords will fight to the end and die if need be for their kingdom.

One of my bigger gripes is a factions ability to just magically "hire" every merc possible at blink of an eye. Where if I want to hire someone I have to chase down the leader of that faction on the map. Because the number game is not already stacked against me, It need to be reinforced to be made even worse :/

The leader part got on my nerves too. It's like well, I can't help you with that, but go chase down Homie the Clown, my dad, he speaks for the clan, and I saw him around SomeTownHalfwayAcrossTheMap today.

So that's kinda realistic and kinda annoying all at the same time. The AI has a cellphone tho. Maybe the AI lords are required to meet and I don't know it but I doubt it.

The leader part got on my nerves too. It's like well, I can't help you with that, but go chase down Homie the Clown, my dad, he speaks for the clan, and I saw him around SomeTownHalfwayAcrossTheMap today.

So that's kinda realistic and kinda annoying all at the same time. The AI has a cellphone tho. Maybe the AI lords are required to meet and I don't know it but I doubt it.

Yeah, a messenger system wasn't invented yet. Rolling up in front of them with 200 Calvary in tow much more sensible... Dispatch a envoy, messenger or something would been better. When I had reduced Battania to just the king left and all his clans had joined other factions, he still had like 8 minor factions hired and sitting on almost 15 million dinars. I never saw him leave anywhere to get in contact with said mercenaries. they just magically came to his aid.

Must be nice, right? I mean would a Saints Row style phone be too much to ask?

To be fair very few games actually have the AI do everything the player does, or at least simulate it. There's just some things in this game that are very noticeable that the AI doesn't have to do that you are required to do. A messenger / envoy system would be a really nice feature tho. Having to track down lords to talk to them can be tedious. The encyclopedia is still a magic phone book though, updates every time you go to a village or town, maybe castle too.

It does seem a little wierd to take my party of 600 across the map to talk to some dude, maybe that happened a lot in history, i don't know.

Must be nice, right? I mean would a Saints Row style phone be too much to ask?

To be fair very few games actually have the AI do everything the player does, or at least simulate it. There's just some things in this game that are very noticeable that the AI doesn't have to do that you are required to do. A messenger / envoy system would be a really nice feature tho. Having to track down lords to talk to them can be tedious. The encyclopedia is still a magic phone book though, updates every time you go to a village or town, maybe castle too.

It does seem a little wierd to take my party of 600 across the map to talk to some dude, maybe that happened a lot in history, i don't know.

I know the AI need to take short cuts sometimes because reasons. But with a game where lord's defect and impossible to keep around, and you pretty much stuck with have your primary party and companion ones. Expanding and fighting large battles can be a tedious chore. Doing large battles and need to recover, get more recruits etc afterwards, and then as soon as you turn around the guy you just defeated back again for more. is tiresome in the end. Fights can be fun, but just fight for the sake of fighting without any goal or purpose is just boring in the long run.

I really hope that I can control ransoming lords I take in battle, as now they are released without my say so for relative buttons. Defections took place in Warband where lords would show up in my castle hall and ask to join my faction. That was a good mechanic.

I know the AI need to take short cuts sometimes because reasons. But with a game where lord's defect and impossible to keep around, and you pretty much stuck with have your primary party and companion ones. Expanding and fighting large battles can be a tedious chore. Doing large battles and need to recover, get more recruits etc afterwards, and then as soon as you turn around the guy you just defeated back again for more. is tiresome in the end. Fights can be fun, but just fight for the sake of fighting without any goal or purpose is just boring in the long run.

I tried the kingdom route and what you say there is what happened. So this time I was a vassal and executed everybody. It was a lot more fun.

Personally I don't and probably never will enjoy the idea of trying to placate a bunch of AI lords in my kingdom unless there are really big changes to the system, and even then I'm just the type of player that would rather fight it out.

Back
Top Bottom