2-handed sword on horse?

Users who are viewing this thread

makidonski

Sergeant
Does anyone know any sword that's 2 handed and used on horse and is actually effective?
Or should I just go for firearm, shield and 1handed?

For me it's 1 hand sword, carbine, two bundles of ammunition.  Trust me I can go through a dramatic amount of bullets in a single battle, definitely sieges.  A good onehand sword can do 35+ in a swing multiply from the speed of the horse.. instant kill vs anyone who is not wearing heavy armor.  There are no cross breed style swords like on Warband, though Broad swords seem to be almost as long as a two hand and to me make better cavalry swords than Sabers on Fire & Sword. 

I'd suggest just wearing good armor, you will not need a shield if you're good at blocking with your weapons, relying on a shield can be a tad dangerious.  Shields were great on Warband, but muskets do so much damage per shot that I do not see a reason for them, since in melee combat you dont' really need a shield, I only used one to stop walls of arrows.  If you're on horse back a lot you should either be a dragoon with a musket/sword, or be a fun mix, with sword/lance/firearm.  Throwing shield out just allows you to be dramatically mutli rule.  If anything you can carry a two hand sword for foot combat, and a 1 hand for on a horse if you get knocked off your horse I mean. 

Surprisingly, shields are great for damage mitigation against bullets, better than armor.  They seem to reduce bullet damage by 70% or more, that being said I rarely use them.  I usually go with Compound Bow, x2 Forged Arrows and Balanced Lance.

I think this was another thing that WF&S has done right! You shouldn't be able to use a 2h on a horse, like in Warband! Unless it's a bastard sword. Because if you could use a huge 2h sword while mounted, using only 1 hand, then why the hell you shouldn't be able to do that while on foot? No, that's just wrong! Unless you're some kind of Hulk character! Congratz to WF&S team for that!

I use a 1-hand saber, a shield and a pistol (and of course bullets). Shield is good on sieges while offending so you can block yourself while walking towards the castle walls. It can also help you while it's on your back, may save your life (has saved mine multiple times). Now, a pistol is just an amazing weapon. If you have skill, then it's useful for shooting from really far away, it's also good when you're alone against many enemies. Another great thing about pistols is that you can reload one while riding/running, however, while reloading a musket, you have to stay put. A 2-handed sword isn't bad, but it hits slower and maybe it's just me but I always prefer a saber.

my problem is when riding around on horse back my lance never seems to couch. this makes me sad because i used to love spending an hour just single handely riding down a army of rhodoks or nords. did they take this feature out?
it was pretty powerful

Did you set the couch lance to automatic, or manual? With automatic, it goes down by itself, with manual you have to press a button.

Aye, the pistol is pretty effective in sieges and battles.  You can usually get more than one shot off on inc cav due to the speed, making it a real life saver.  I like to go 1h broadsword, 2 pistols, and heavy ammo on multiplayer and sp campaign alike.

my setup is good pistol, musket, bullets and a 2hand sword. i hate being cavalry. i prefer staying with the line infantry and give em firing commands. its so easy to kill brigands with just one massive 100 men volley... firing 100 chunks of lead at their faces is really fun.

a reinforced steel shield can realy save your life if you're sieging. I usually crouch on top of the ladder with the shield in front of me while defending and it covers almost my entire body. I draw a lot of enemy bullets but my shield can withstand them and my troops won't be shot. If an enemy comes close i jump out and crush him with my mace and then go back sitting. This is a realy effective strategy where a shield does work.

Back
Top Bottom