Suggestion for avoiding defeated armies getting completely WIPED

Users who are viewing this thread

Dabos37

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I have been thinking about this and read some good suggestions to avoid armies getting constantly wiped every time they lose a battle, which increase snowballing and looks totally unrealistic.

Would be possible to do this?:

1- If an army is clearly loosing a battle, it should have a big chance for fleeing.
2- Defeated army automatically gets dissolved, so single parties will have a much higher chance to scape than a slower army which could be easily chased by faster single parties+army.
3- Disorganized phase for fleeing parties should get removed (this is maybe too OP and not necessary because first and second points would be probably enough.

In this way, we could easily avoid armies getting constantly wiped which increases snowballing by a lot. What do you think?

@mexxico

Apply to the mission side or just autocalc?

The AI already tries to flee from autocalc battles it is losing, so that part is covered, but they usually get tackled by independent parties.

The AI already tries to flee from autocalc battles it is losing, so that part is covered, but they usually get tackled by independent parties.

Exactly, this is the reason because the defeated army should get disbanded when fleeing.

I have not a strong opinion about if it just has to be applied to simulated battles only or not. I am just interested to see it for simulated battles for avoid snowballing and maybe for mission just in army battles (not for party vs party).

Last edited:
yes. battles should revolve around morale mainly.

routed troops that fled with their lord can stay as a party. troops that got their lord knocked out or dead should have a chance of transforming into deserters and a chance to join the garrison (and wait for a member of that clan to take them into their party. a feature of leaving troops in friendly settlements was shwon years ago) if a friendly settlement is nearby.

defeated armies getting dissolved makes sense too i agree.

but why would removing disorganized state from fleeing parties be op?

Yep, plus keep in mind that this is the way it works in Warband, when a battle is being lost, most of parties are able to run away while some few ones get chased. In Bannerlord this does not happen because of army system which I personally like but fighting and keeping cohesion until death is silly, probably really bad for snowballing, and one of the biggest reasons because lords escape so easily (we will get a quest for break out prisoners soon, which is funny because most of lords in AI vs AI battle scape really fast).

Removing disorganized state from fleeing parties would be probably too good but who knows... I am really interested to see these two points, and they would be probably enough:

1- If an army is clearly loosing a battle, it should have a big chance for fleeing.
2- Defeated army automatically gets dissolved, so single parties will have a much higher chance to scape than a slower army which could be easily chased by faster single parties+army.

Please feel free to disagree, I am really trying to think about drawbacks for this idea and I really cannot find any. Would love to hear someone who thinks that this would be bad for the game.

These changes are probably easy to do, I would love to be better with code to test this out for my self, but I am a noob.

Having armies breakup and scatter after a defeat could be an interesting way to handle things. When one army defeats another they fight to the last man and its winner take all. Also for some reason either ALL lords escape or they all get captures its never a mix of the two.

No doubt when in battle the balance turns out to defeat you, at that moment the army should flee. I also agree that this army, after being defeated, should shatter in the parties that compose it, fleeing towards the horizon in "save yourself" mode. The clear example of the cheetah that attacks a group of antelopes and that finally hunts is the one that is left behind (slow-weak).

This idea, together with the penalty of "enemy territory" that we talked about with Mex, could be an interesting tactical handicap to take into account when joining large armies. Later the parties could regroup, but some party of some Lord should remain as bait after a clash of armies; imo.

Back
Top Bottom