#1 Feature that would substantially improve Bannerlord for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

For me some features would make gameplay a lot better:

1. Group assignment from the party screen
2. Messengers to companions and lords (like in Diplomacy mod)
3. Possibility to always fight at daytime (like in Configurable Battle Scenes mod)
4. Button to toggle on/off a) the reticle and b) the whole HUD (I like to have as information on the screen ... nothing, but sadly aiming with bows without reticle is very difficult and with crossbows almost impossible)
5. As a big change I would like to have more fief development and inner kingdom interactions (like in Banner Kings mod that I cannot use because I hate the marshal system of WB which Banner Kings ingeniously introduces into BL)

Not sure if it's fits into the "1 feature" mindset, but more procedurally generated quests with higher complexity. This game, developed by allegedly almost a hundred people, has like 10 quests most of which play similar, half of which are super boring and all of which are 1 step primitive adventures.

Not sure if it's fits into the "1 feature" mindset, but more procedurally generated quests with higher complexity. This game, developed by allegedly almost a hundred people, has like 10 quests most of which play similar, half of which are super boring and all of which are 1 step primitive adventures.
procedural systems are often bad - I wouldn't want that, it'd instead be better to have all procedurals we already have + the missing ones that we used to have in Warband + a significant number of hand tailored ones (something around 50 would do the trick for all stages of the game) - it would be dismissible (the hand crafting) if we had logical reactive procedurals instead, but that's long to explain so I'll leave it at that...

procedural systems are often bad - I wouldn't want that, it'd instead be better to have all procedurals we already have + the missing ones that we used to have in Warband + a significant number of hand tailored ones (something around 50 would do the trick for all stages of the game) - it would be dismissible (the hand crafting) if we had logical reactive procedurals instead, but that's long to explain so I'll leave it at that...
given that they couldnt even bother to add more than like 10 procedural quests i think there's no way they're ever adding 50 hand crafted ones, i dont even think they have anyone on the staff to do the writing and game design necessary for that

given that they couldnt even bother to add more than like 10 procedural quests i think there's no way they're ever adding 50 hand crafted ones, i dont even think they have anyone on the staff to do the writing and game design necessary for that
they've worked without a GDD (game design document) according to one of the devs (it's lost in some post within the forums somewhere)... It's arguable that they've worked without a game designer entirely... Writing's there but only bits and pieces, similar to "place-holders" without any actual flushing (talking about lore)...
I was just saying what I think's better - too many generic procedurals are a waste of time considering most would ignore them, that's why I said that either logical ones or a bunch of hand-crafted ones would be needed + the combo of what we have with both BL and WB to actually add enough activities to follow you through an entire campaign without turning late game into a wasteland of features (which's what we have rn - and would with pure procedurals that aren't logical).

anyhow, I think I'm saying my goodbyes to BL for the foreseeable future today - just uninstalled and will cash over nostalgia with better older games... Modding tools weren't updated so I can't really pursue anything with BL because all current mods are too bland for me and my only hope was going for a DIY, yet what I need and want to achieve can't be done until they fix their tools so there's that. Fact's that BL needs an overhaul - could be lore-friendly vanilla enhancing or a total makeover with a different setting, neither are possible atm and the better, older mods that surfaced during EA can't be properly updated neither. So, yeah... I'm done for now.

No individual Warband feature was massively game changing. It's the fact that there's like 10 of them that are missing that is game changing.
Time for my hot take of the month, but none of these features would be game changing. Beyond maybe changing how marriage works, none of them, even together, would change the game.

I know I'm the TW Simp or whatever you want to call me, but the fundamental problems with Bannerlord don't just come from there not being enough quality of life things going around. Yeah, Noble Duels would be neat, yeah Feasts would be cool, yeah a court would be cool, but those things are just so minor that even them adding up won't fill the void that Bannerlord has for its peacetime content.

The biggest issues that I have are mainly around the economy and peacetime. The fact that you basically have to constantly be hunting down people just to make sure you're not broke is insane. The semi-competent player should be able to make a profit, and the truly competent player should be able to make a fortune. The second is peacetime, where there simply isn't enough to do. Adding in a court would change something, but there needs to be more then just that. Have events, have internal politics. That'll give a lot of stuff to do that isn't just eternal war, which can get incredibly grating over time.

There is one thing I forgot, I want permanent artillery in towns and castles with the possibility to decide what to have, or at least a mix.

You need to be able to make progress in a variety of ways.

The pathway towards 'ruling the world', if that's the end-goal, needs to have different routes which are all viable.

You need to be able to make actual progress in the game as a trader, as a caravan runner, as a business owner, as a bounty hunter, as a bandit, as a criminal boss, as a mercenary, as a 'fixer' perhaps. There need to be roles that you can choose from - career paths if you like - that give you stages of progression, with new things to do at each stage - things you couldn't do before, that actually matter towards your progression.

You can dabble with these things at the moment, but you can't get anywhere with them. If you want to set yourself up as a workshop owner, there needs to be some actual gameplay involved in playing that role - otherwise there's no point in doing it. The same goes for the other roles.

The only gameplay in Bannerlord at the moment is in leading a war party. Once you've progressed through that career by leading larger numbers of increasingly stronger troops against larger numbers of increasingly stronger enemies, you've finished with all of the gameplay that Bannerlord offers. There is nothing else to do. Being a Vassal or a King doesn't give you more things to do that you couldn't do before - the Kingdom decisions and the owning of fiefs doesn't actually give you anything to DO. There needs to be some player agency, some actual gameplay, beyond the fighting of battles.
Perfectly summarised. That being said the combat isn't fun enough to be the sole aspect of Bananalord and there's a few mechanics I would've liked to have seen from Viking Conquest. In the end, the game is really empty and there is very little to do. I think calling it a full release is pretty silly but maybe they're basing it on the original M&B's release which was just as barebones - though in those days it was cutting edge.

You need to be able to make progress in a variety of ways.

The pathway towards 'ruling the world', if that's the end-goal, needs to have different routes which are all viable.

You need to be able to make actual progress in the game as a trader, as a caravan runner, as a business owner, as a bounty hunter, as a bandit, as a criminal boss, as a mercenary, as a 'fixer' perhaps. There need to be roles that you can choose from - career paths if you like - that give you stages of progression, with new things to do at each stage - things you couldn't do before, that actually matter towards your progression.

You can dabble with these things at the moment, but you can't get anywhere with them. If you want to set yourself up as a workshop owner, there needs to be some actual gameplay involved in playing that role - otherwise there's no point in doing it. The same goes for the other roles.

The only gameplay in Bannerlord at the moment is in leading a war party. Once you've progressed through that career by leading larger numbers of increasingly stronger troops against larger numbers of increasingly stronger enemies, you've finished with all of the gameplay that Bannerlord offers. There is nothing else to do. Being a Vassal or a King doesn't give you more things to do that you couldn't do before - the Kingdom decisions and the owning of fiefs doesn't actually give you anything to DO. There needs to be some player agency, some actual gameplay, beyond the fighting of battles.
Except that the part about increasingly stronger armies isn't true. The strongest armies from the AI are all in early game. Mid to late game it becomes increasingly harder for them to keep fielding strong armies of upgraded troops. Once the human player reaches a certain point in mid game the snowball takes all of the fun out of it and turns it into a grind.

Like it or not at the heart of this game is recruiting, training and fighting with your own army. That was always the intention of this game. And that is what people love about the game even if all they want to do is complain about it. Maybe it could be more. But every time they add new features to please the more content crowd they end up just breaking pre existing features. While I do agree they have a lot of awesome roads that sadly lead to nowhere.

If you really want to improve the game start with the economy and more challenging gameplay. Until you do you can't address the roads to nowhere because eventually you will come full circle and realize the issue actually stems from a lack of challenging gameplay not content.

Time for my hot take of the month, but none of these features would be game changing. Beyond maybe changing how marriage works, none of them, even together, would change the game.
All of them together would make the game significantly less frustrating and less repetitive and more varied.
The second is peacetime, where there simply isn't enough to do. Adding in a court would change something, but there needs to be more then just that. Have events, have internal politics. That'll give a lot of stuff to do that isn't just eternal war, which can get incredibly grating over time.
That's what a feast would be, an event.

If one would aim for low hanging fruit, I would suggest this for proper Sandbox game experience.

Back
Top Bottom