#1 Feature that would substantially improve Bannerlord for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello all,

I've recently gotten into Bannerlord again with the release of the game, and I'm looking into the still missing and yet to be implemented features. But I also wanted to ask the opinion of some of you who have admittedly much more experience with the game than I do. Excluding mods, I was wondering what's a feature that is upcoming on the roadmap or missing from Warband that would dramatically improve Bannerlord as a vanilla Sandbox or uh Campaign experience?

Well thought out, complete systems implementation, instead of the half baked crap they have been shoveling out and calling "good enough"

In case you don't know what i mean - look at the order of battle system, the party commands, kingdom voting etc.

That's a tough question, because there are a handful of the most important missing Warband features that are all pretty equal in impact.

* Lords coming to visit you at your court - took a lot of boring legwork out of the game.

* Feasts - made the game world more immersive, made it easier to find people, added roleplaying options and something to do in peacetime.

* Bandit traps/Assassination attempts/bar fights: added variety to the gameplay loop with their randomness and made you actually go into town/tavern scenes.

* Noble duels: just plain fun and cool and really thematically appropriate.

Hard to choose between any one of these 4.

Also, skill books if done right (or skill trainers) could be enormously impactful in Bannerlord. I would love to be able to pay to gain a boost in a skill.

Get rid of the simple and powerful army system. Armies should be a lot rarer and costly (both time and resource wise).
Yep, this and making the AI act according to their personality traits and material needs rather than all of the lords being functionally the same.

Excluding mods, I was wondering what's a feature that is upcoming on the roadmap or missing from Warband that would dramatically improve Bannerlord as a vanilla Sandbox or uh Campaign experience?
There is nothing on the roadmap or from Warband that would dramatically improve Bannerlord for me.

It retains WB's **** lategame and TW's put nothing towards making it any more fun than grinding through sieges in WB.

edit: the game would be unironically improved by making it much shorter, so it would scale better for people who are just using it as medieval battle simulator, rather than forcing you to fight like hundred huge field battles and two hundred sieges to complete a playthrough.

Last edited:
edit: the game would be unironically improved by making it much shorter, so it would scale better for people who are just using it as medieval battle simulator, rather than forcing you to fight like hundred huge field battles and two hundred sieges to complete a playthrough.
This is also very correct. I mean maybe not technically shorter but less grindy (which makes the game artificially long) through making factions without fiefs die off, factions not being able to hire mercenaries if they can't afford them, your lords not trying to declare a 3rd simultaneous war, enemty lords asking to join your kingdom themselves, etc..

There is nothing on the roadmap or from Warband that would dramatically improve Bannerlord for me.

It retains WB's **** lategame and TW's put nothing towards making it any more fun than grinding through sieges in WB.

Exactly, no 'new' feature will improve the game if they are as half-baked as all other features so far; fix those first.
End-game in BL is like playing TW:IE, but the entire world-map is all copy/paste Cathay; but also without their diplomacy aspect and AI even dumber and less battle-tactical options. I'm sure some people enjoy that grind, but goddamn...I'm not going to 'complete' any playthrough.

Absolutely.

I'm sure some people enjoy that grind, but goddamn...I'm not going to 'complete' any playthrough.
I completed it 'without' grinding by sitting in my most central fief with tons of food, no army and just slamming the compression super-high using the console.

It took awhile but my faction was more powerful than the others, so it eventually painted the map.

Excluding mods, I was wondering what's a feature that is upcoming on the roadmap or missing from Warband that would dramatically improve Bannerlord as a vanilla Sandbox or uh Campaign experience?
You need to be able to make progress in a variety of ways.

The pathway towards 'ruling the world', if that's the end-goal, needs to have different routes which are all viable.

You need to be able to make actual progress in the game as a trader, as a caravan runner, as a business owner, as a bounty hunter, as a bandit, as a criminal boss, as a mercenary, as a 'fixer' perhaps. There need to be roles that you can choose from - career paths if you like - that give you stages of progression, with new things to do at each stage - things you couldn't do before, that actually matter towards your progression.

You can dabble with these things at the moment, but you can't get anywhere with them. If you want to set yourself up as a workshop owner, there needs to be some actual gameplay involved in playing that role - otherwise there's no point in doing it. The same goes for the other roles.

The only gameplay in Bannerlord at the moment is in leading a war party. Once you've progressed through that career by leading larger numbers of increasingly stronger troops against larger numbers of increasingly stronger enemies, you've finished with all of the gameplay that Bannerlord offers. There is nothing else to do. Being a Vassal or a King doesn't give you more things to do that you couldn't do before - the Kingdom decisions and the owning of fiefs doesn't actually give you anything to DO. There needs to be some player agency, some actual gameplay, beyond the fighting of battles.

Managing fief construction projects from the Clan Fief's tab. Tired of running halfway across the map to switch Festivals & Games on to prevent a fief from rebelling.

Stamina regens on the move.

Auto-buying & refined steels/irons being available in shops too.

The pathway towards 'ruling the world', if that's the end-goal, needs to have different routes which are all viable.
More like some other reasonably meaningful goals than just to conquer the world.

You need to be able to make actual progress in the game as a trader, as a caravan runner, as a business owner, as a bounty hunter, as a bandit, as a criminal boss, as a mercenary, as a 'fixer' perhaps. There need to be roles that you can choose from - career paths if you like - that give you stages of progression, with new things to do at each stage - things you couldn't do before, that actually matter towards your progression.

You can dabble with these things at the moment, but you can't get anywhere with them. If you want to set yourself up as a workshop owner, there needs to be some actual gameplay involved in playing that role - otherwise there's no point in doing it. The same goes for the other roles.

The only gameplay in Bannerlord at the moment is in leading a war party. Once you've progressed through that career by leading larger numbers of increasingly stronger troops against larger numbers of increasingly stronger enemies, you've finished with all of the gameplay that Bannerlord offers. There is nothing else to do. Being a Vassal or a King doesn't give you more things to do that you couldn't do before - the Kingdom decisions and the owning of fiefs doesn't actually give you anything to DO. There needs to be some player agency, some actual gameplay, beyond the fighting of battles.
I mean, being a trader is a viable lifepath, especially after you get "everything has a price", though it can definitely be tweaked a bit (I've heard that trading profitability is rather bad since 1.8 & 1.9, but haven't tried it myself). You're fully correct about all your other points, we can technically be a bandit/criminal of sorts, but it is rather barebones and won't reach anywhere besides conquering the map anyways. The base game definitely needs to support other playstyles more .

Back
Top Bottom