Beta Patch Notes e1.5.5

Users who are viewing this thread

mexxico has mentioned that he would like to see games last a century, for that they need to implement something I have suggested and that is more options, longer peace times, maybe shorter years, things to drag it out, rebellions to increase kingdoms is also a good idea. I prefer longer games. But for the most part TW leaves stuff like that to modders. But hopefully with Bannerlord they will add a lot more options to the game to help us customize it so we can decide if want a game to last 1 day or 1 month/
Yeah also even small thinsg can make changes like instead of isntantly knowing everything and everyone there should be like some type of corier/messenger mechanic/feature where like
1)instead of instantly knowing about event you instead learn it much later or bit earlier with some delay if spending money and asking in tavern
2)to learn things much quicker there should be option to build outposts/messanger buildings that would deliver news faster but still have like few hour in game delay
3)Instaed of knwoing everything and everyone there should be familiarity process of player only knowing the kings and some ofm its family members but not knowing about its vassals,mercenaries,small clans and to know them needs time to interact,hear/pay for rummors,via main/side quests that leads to player learning about the speicfic lord spmilar to 12TH mod for warband wich i realy like but sad cant get most updated version and probbaly was not work on
4)feasts,wedding ceremonies,voting/voting for marshals/creating gathering war camp-making offensive/defensive decisions

All of these features/mechnaics adds up to delaying and mitigating some of the snowbaling (if implemented porperly) bcs all of these features will take time in game hours/days wich would affect Ai as well as players and prolong/delay the snowbaling effect and atlest giev additional time for weaker factions to use all those to their advantage and build up/prepare for invasion/defence.Even this small time delays adds to the overall picture of delaying/balancing snowballing and adding additional time in a more so to say natural manner without needing to change stuff in the game bcs some of the features would so to say more naturaly ballance som easpetcs of the game (if done/implemented properly).Thats just my opinion that might be totaly wrong but thast what i personaly would do/direct to be done.

Yeah also even small thinsg can make changes like instead of isntantly knowing everything and everyone there should be like some type of corier/messenger mechanic/feature where like
1)instead of instantly knowing about event you instead learn it much later or bit earlier with some delay if spending money and asking in tavern
2)to learn things much quicker there should be option to build outposts/messanger buildings that would deliver news faster but still have like few hour in game delay
3)Instaed of knwoing everything and everyone there should be familiarity process of player only knowing the kings and some ofm its family members but not knowing about its vassals,mercenaries,small clans and to know them needs time to interact,hear/pay for rummors,via main/side quests that leads to player learning about the speicfic lord spmilar to 12TH mod for warband wich i realy like but sad cant get most updated version and probbaly was not work on
4)feasts,wedding ceremonies,voting/voting for marshals/creating gathering war camp-making offensive/defensive decisions

All of these features/mechnaics adds up to delaying and mitigating some of the snowbaling (if implemented porperly) bcs all of these features will take time in game hours/days wich would affect Ai as well as players and prolong/delay the snowbaling effect and atlest giev additional time for weaker factions to use all those to their advantage and build up/prepare for invasion/defence.Even this small time delays adds to the overall picture of delaying/balancing snowballing and adding additional time in a more so to say natural manner without needing to change stuff in the game bcs some of the features would so to say more naturaly ballance som easpetcs of the game (if done/implemented properly).Thats just my opinion that might be totaly wrong but thast what i personaly would do/direct to be done.
we don't know TW plans, when it came to Warband, they just gave us a vanilla game the modders turned it into a great classic, at this point we don't know what route they will take but I hope they do expand the options where there are a ton of options to choose. I always bring up Civ 6, with game sped I can complete a quick game in about 3 hours, or set it so slow it takes me all day, I love things like that. So we just have to wait and see what their plans are, but if they don't give me the game I really want and are done updating it, i would hire a modder to build it how I want it, Sort of how I play Floris mod on Warband. It is the only mod I love

I mean, in a sense, this is the entirety of the beginning of the game...

You have to learn about this mythical battle and talk to 10 leaders. Depending on how you play the game, this is not a simple feat. Also, what difficulty are you playing on because if you play on "realistic" almost nothing in the game is easy at all. I've played the game on "easy" and had a major kingdom, moments away from clearing the map before being "forced" into a new save with several updates. Now I play on "realistic," and it's a completely different vibe to the game. Everything is much more difficult than it was, and I'm actually having a bit more fun because I have to be exceedingly careful on the field and with my resources as a leader of even a small group of men.

I mean, in a sense, this is the entirety of the beginning of the game...

You have to learn about this mythical battle and talk to 10 leaders. Depending on how you play the game, this is not a simple feat. Also, what difficulty are you playing on because if you play on "realistic" almost nothing in the game is easy at all. I've played the game on "easy" and had a major kingdom, moments away from clearing the map before being "forced" into a new save with several updates. Now I play on "realistic," and it's a completely different vibe to the game. Everything is much more difficult than it was, and I'm actually having a bit more fun because I have to be exceedingly careful on the field and with my resources as a leader of even a small group of men.
exactly I play on mostly realistic, but as a great guy told me a long time ago on Warband, play on settings that are fun but challenging. I get people on my channel that wonder why I don't play realistic player damage and in a play through it makes things worse for viewers. So that is to my point, when offline I play realistic, when recording I play 2/3, it allows me to customize the game I want to play. Give us options, don't force things, try to cater to all people not just some, of course some options are easier said that done.

Well not in .55 but SOON right ; )

As far I know, the option to disable birth, death, and aging is already implemented in the game.

mexxico has mentioned that he would like to see games last a century, for that they need to implement something I have suggested and that is more options, longer peace times, maybe shorter years, things to drag it out, rebellions to increase kingdoms is also a good idea. I prefer longer games. But for the most part TW leaves stuff like that to modders. But hopefully with Bannerlord they will add a lot more options to the game to help us customize it so we can decide if want a game to last 1 day or 1 month/

I do agree with that. I also would love to play pretty long campaigns but this game is simply not even close to be well balanced for it. A lot of things should change, the game should be much more dynamic like CK3 where you do two steps forward, one step back, etc. In Bannerlord, once the player gets some power, it is simply too easy to steamroll everything without much effort and hopefully this gets fixed.

Would be great if aside from rebellions, TW would add civil wars and this kind of stuff which would be great in late game. If not possible, the easier way to take more advantage of generational gameplay, would be decreasing days per year IMO. Plus it would feel more adecuate with the game phase, because currently too many things are happening in a campaign year.

As far I know, the option to disable birth, death, and aging is already implemented in the game.

I do agree with that. I also would love to play pretty long campaigns but this game is simply not even close to be well balanced for it. A lot of things should change, the game should be much more dynamic like CK3 where you do two steps forward, one step back, etc. In Bannerlord, once the player gets some power, it is simply too easy to steamroll everything without much effort and hopefully this gets fixed.

Would be great if aside from rebellions, TW would add civil wars and this kind of stuff which would be great in late game. If not possible, the easier way to take more advantage of generational gameplay, would be decreasing days per year IMO. Plus it would feel more adecuate with the game phase, because currently too many things are happening in a campaign year.
I just do my best to say it is early access and they are behind on patches and still have a lot of work to do since it a great game that I feel no one has really hit on to give me the same experience

Won't this increase snowballing a lot as surely losing factions will have their lords defeated more and hence killed more and so it will lead to them getting weaker and then losing even more lords? It's realistic, but it seems like it will go quite a way to undoing all of the recent work done at balancing out the kingdoms.

Bloody Gryphons figures above while excellent don't account for one side loosing 3-4 battles a year and the other losing 0-1.

For what it's worth I would not favour reducing the days in a year any further. To me the 4 month years are already too short and feel unnatural, so increasing this would really jar.
Yep you are 100% right, which I think is why it is imperative to add in more starter kids, so that we have replacements within that first 18 years. Like I point out in my post a kingdoms maximum parties is kind of the limit they need to try to keep a factions population above which will be close to impossible in the first 18 years without more starter kids. We will likely see the same if not worse snowballing. 1.5.6 doesn't really increase peace time and the factions stay in a steady single war which last between 1 and 2 seasons (~30 days) before switching to a new main target. So we will see a similar fighting rate to the current one.

I think this is the right way of looking at it caveating that I think # of fighting battles are understated

As said before, the way to balance this is having a good number of children that will replace dying lords on average every year in the short term already implemented and a set of non-general lords in the background producing kids to replace lords beyond the initial 18 years. Then a system that balances total lords on the map for different factions.

You would basically need the following N total lords that can have babies for a set of total G generals (leading parties):

(G*Death rate on a year)/Birth rate on a year = N

Death rate on a year = Battles fought on average * % defeat on average * % dying

Is birth rate calculated over a couple? If so, you would need to multiply the first equation left hand side by 2

Also note N not necessarily means N number of lords, but N number of lords that can have children so you will have to exclude those that are too old, not married, or with too many children.

Although this looks very mathematical, I would go with some buffer or have an automatic balancing system in the background (cousins coming from oversea to avenge their killed family members?) to prevent deserted factions
Great points, this cousin idea is a good one (we do have docks and ships).

If the game approaches an engine/performance limitation on existing character the game could just cull them by spawning a plague.
I like this idea a lot, maybe around 30-40 years if the population is 4x the max party count a plague shows up and culls a portion of the pop.

So I forgot to mention in my post but my analysis also doesn't account for the new clans that rebellions will be introducing which will help the population grow by a bit but again on a delay like the rest, although who knows maybe a new clan spawns in with several family members. We will have to wait and see.

Another idea which I think may be a bit obvious, but if a faction drops below their maximum parties limit they should become the most peaceful faction until they have regained their numbers. Maybe reaching a certain number of deaths in a war can help increase the desire of AI clans to make peace regardless of price.

If anyone wants a deeper look at clans take a look at this post

Last edited:
We don't know how often people are defeated in battle, but for me, i think we will run into a problem that Lords will die faster than they can get heirs to replace them, even though they can have 4 or 5 clan members to take over first. 10% to 2% is a great move, but I can't wait to test, I think it will need to be adjusted again
In my current game there is a profusion of heirs, so it works ...

I just have a question which is perhaps silly but which seems interesting to me if one chooses to be a group of "mercenaries / bandits" and especially "nomads", that is to say without castle or town (or that temporarily, the time to help a Kingdom to decrease the influence of another Kingdom and to improve certain skills by having the possibility of leading an army). Is it expected that we could therefore function "economically" with a mercenary group, which would mean that our companions, children, brothers and sisters, would therefore be "members" of this company of mercenaries. However, having several groups active in a mercenary clan is very expensive, I don't know if you have tested. I know that we can get rich by looting caravans, villages, by participating in the various wars in progress, we can have workshops, even caravans (but they are quickly destroyed unless we have very efficient companions, which is logical since we do not stop attacking the caravans ourselves), by developing the craft ...

But I would have imagined, in a mercenary clan, more "autonomous" groups, where the companions do not necessarily share all the wealth obtained during looting, but on the other hand, do not ask for anything in return. And what about marriages if you are a group of mercenaries? Could we get married between groups of mercenaries knowing that this poses problems on the number of increasing mercenaries that this would cause? What would happen if we imagined that, I find it difficult to conceive all the consequences on the game ...

I like the idea of leading a group of mercenaries who would have a different logic from those of the "great lords" and would maintain relations of "complicity" with certain other mercenary groups. This would perhaps eventually mean the creation of an alternative "habitat" to castles and cities, such as bandits' hideouts. Have you thought about it or is it very far from your current concerns? (what I would understand)

Yep, this is the thing, the few players who have been able to play with their sons, are these ones who has killed the MC through console or used some other “cheats” (maybe there are some few exceptions who has actually played 40 years campaigns or so).

I do agree with the current issues are part of the problem, especially snowballing, but even if this gets fixed, I have the feeling that nothing could stop the player snowballing (which I also dislike it). Sure, defensive AI in sieges could get better, but this does not change the fact about the world time getting stoped when we fight a battle, which is probably the most unfair thing in the player’s favor (not saying that this should change though). So we can siege fiefs pretty handy and denying the AI from getting reinforcements.

So, the only players who will enjoy generational gameplay, will be these ones who enjoy conquering the whole map.
Unfortunately I just discovered my heir will be 99 years old when my MC dies. This really makes next-gen game unplayable.
Can we get some randomness into MC death (something between 60 and 100)? Is it really 128 years atm?

Unfortunately I just discovered my heir will be 99 years old when my MC dies. This really makes next-gen game unplayable.
Can we get some randomness into MC death (something between 60 and 100)? Is it really 128 years atm?
No lol the death chance of old age starts at like 47 I think and my character has died at like 50

Can we get some randomness into MC death? Is it really 128 years atm?
Where are you getting 128 years? Your MC can get random death sickness pretty early, I know in one of mine it was in my late 40's (i think 47)

I think it was mentioned in some thread, that it is the max age you can reach. That is too much. Max should be 90 maybe (or even less).
:lol: you mean you don't want to be palpatine ruling the empire forever?
giphy.gif

Thats probably the age someone calculated to get you to reach 100% chance of sickness, although thats just a guess. I don't see a problem with a max age being below 100, but honestly you would likely need to be bless by RNG to get even close.

What I think really needs to be added is "stepping down" which will let you give up control of your MC before they die to become an Heir. It would be super cool to play with your first MC as an AI. Just put the restriction that once you give up control with a character you cant choose them if they are alive the next time you want to give up control of a character (stops constant switching back and forth). If the player is king, force the kingdom into a vote for a new king, which if the old MC king was good to their vassals they would likely vote for the new heir, but maybe not. This would also open up the choice to go off and start another faction and battle your old one (how cool would that be?)

Max should be 90 maybe (or even less).
This is high even for our days and we have meds, not to mention medieval days where a doctor thought that letting some blood out would cure you of anything(yes I know this is a much later medical procedure like 1600 ish but BL doesn't reflect irl entirely.)

:lol: you mean you don't want to be palpatine ruling the empire forever?
giphy.gif

Thats probably the age someone calculated to get you to reach 100% chance of sickness, although thats just a guess. I don't see a problem with a max age being below 100, but honestly you would likely need to be bless by RNG to get even close.

What I think really needs to be added is "stepping down" which will let you give up control of your MC before they die to become an Heir. It would be super cool to play with your first MC as an AI. Just put the restriction that once you give up control with a character you cant choose them if they are alive the next time you want to give up control of a character (stops constant switching back and forth). If the player is king, force the kingdom into a vote for a new king, which if the old MC king was good to their vassals they would likely vote for the new heir, but maybe not. This would also open up the choice to go off and start another faction and battle your old one (how cool would that be?)
+100 :smile: this is great idea. Especially if you are not a king.

BTW - is there a new bug related to clan roles. I cannot assign surgeon role any longer. Even the trick with personal conversation doesn't seem to work. I just cannot have surgeon and healing is painfully slow.

Edit: I think I know where is the bug. I had this companion "Tessa the Wanderer" as surgeon but while in role I created a caravan with her. Going to report it.

Back
Top Bottom