SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Make aging an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

The default starting age of 30 -alongside with the accelerated aging system, is causing the game to have terrible pacing.

From the onset, it feels like there's this unseen, unspoken, frantic and desperate rush to get everything done.

"No time to catch your breath and enjoy the immersion and atmosphere, you have to complete this laundry list of criteria and fill these checkboxes before time runs out. Have fun!"

No. Not fun.

Sure, Warband's 365 day in-game year was a slog, but at least it allowed me to the play the game at my pace. If I wanted to, I could do a blitzkrieg campaign; creating my own kingdom ASAP and burning through the other factions at a rapid rate. Conversely, I could also take my time and spend 700+ days as a wandering adventurer -taking on quests of every shape and size and getting the full Calradia experience before finally deciding to get serious and create my own kingdom. Warband was the ultimate sandbox, and it felt good being able to personally decide the unique pace of each and every one of my playthroughs without some arbitrary deadline looming over my shoulder.

The Mount & Blade franchise has always been primarily a sandbox game over anything else. By forcing in pacing parameters and time constraints, Bannerlord is betraying everything this proud and storied franchise has stood for in the past.

The default starting age of 30 -alongside with the accelerated aging system, is causing the game to have terrible pacing.

From the onset, it feels like there's this unseen, unspoken, frantic and desperate rush to get everything done.

"No time to catch your breath and enjoy the immersion and atmosphere, you have to complete this laundry list of criteria and fill these checkboxes before time runs out. Have fun!"

No. Not fun.

Sure, Warband's 365 day in-game year was a slog, but at least it allowed me to the play the game at my pace. If I wanted to, I could do a blitzkrieg campaign; creating my own kingdom ASAP and burning through the other factions at a rapid rate. Conversely, I could also take my time and spend 700+ days as a wandering adventurer -taking on quests of every shape and size and getting the full Calradia experience before finally deciding to get serious and create my own kingdom. Warband was the ultimate sandbox, and it felt good being able to personally decide the unique pace of each and every one of my playthroughs without some arbitrary deadline looming over my shoulder.

The Mount & Blade franchise has always been primarily a sandbox game over anything else. By forcing in pacing parameters and time constraints, Bannerlord is betraying everything this proud and storied franchise has stood for in the past.
As far as in know the age of death is around 65 and you feel rushed ?. Most players have kingdoms and wipe out the enemies and haven't died . you can create a kingdom at any time and the quest time line is 10years before it runs out. In my current game I have the dragon banner and have kept it .I have married have 4 children and been vassal to 3 kingdoms and own 3 shops and 2 caravans and don't feel rushed. My character is 34 ,I personally find the aging time very slow.

Last edited:
As far as in know the age of death is around 65 and you feel rushed ?

No death until you hit 125 or 128 years old. I don't t think any of the people complaining about aging have actually played a campaign to that point though.

You can easily **** around for 700 days in Bannerlord and still complete the main questline. It only times-out after like 840 days, which is already longer than a typical playthrough of Warband. And ever since the last patch, that doesn't matter since you can just form your kingdom without it and there is no longer an age restriction on marriage either. There are no aging mechanics otherwise; your character doesn't grow weaker or slower or worse in any way with age. There isn't even the luck mechanic of Warband any more.

You can spend 7000 days completing your playthrough in Bannerlord. The only downside is that it usually snowballs down to two stable mega-factions by around day 600-1000.

Last edited:
As far as in know the age of death is around 65 and you feel rushed ?

Hi. Hello.

The default starting age of 30 -alongside with the accelerated aging system, is causing the game to have terrible pacing
^^^^^^^^

There is a time limit on things like marriage, so from the moment your game begins the clock is ticking against you. This issue would surely be mitigated if the starting age was say, 20.

To answer your question in a broader sense, yes -and judging by many of the responses on this thread I'm not the only one. Not everyone is going to try and sprint to the endgame with frenzied urgency. Some people are completionists, who do things like tackle every single side quest in the Witcher III, and others are OCD min/maxers, who play Skyrim and get every skill to 100 and activate every perk.

In Warband you could do the same thing -even if it wasn't the most meta strategy in terms of time management. The point being there was player freedom in how they could go about their unique story, with no time limit on any action whatsoever. Anything that hinders player freedom runs antipodal to the sandbox spirit in general.

As far as Bannerlord's pacing issues go, the starting player age and shortened year cycle are but two of multiple factors contributing to the problem, the others being the continued occurrence of factions either imploding or ballooning in a relatively short amount of time (see: any snowballing thread), the epidemic of lords switching to other factions, the defeated lord's unit respawn rate, and the endless zerg rush of enemy lords (even if they are underpowered) when the player is at war with another kingdom. -All these issues have are brought up and extrapolated upon in other threads, but nonetheless they too contribute to the game's pacing problim.

I would also like to point out that in its current state, many of Bannerlord's features and quests are still quite bare-bones, so it's definitely possible to accomplish all there is to do in the game in a timely manner before any of the finite prerequisites expire -as long as you focus them and make them a priority. Looking to the future though, Bannerlord will (hopefully) have much more numerous, fleshed out, and expanded upon activities for the player to engage in, so finding the the right balance of pacing is something to consider.

Hi. Hello.

^^^^^^^^

There is a time limit on things like marriage, so from the moment your game begins the clock is ticking against you. This issue would surely be mitigated if the starting age was say, 20.

To answer your question in a broader sense, yes -and judging by many of the responses on this thread I'm not the only one. Not everyone is going to try and sprint to the endgame with frenzied urgency. Some people are completionists, who do things like tackle every single side quest in the Witcher III, and others are OCD min/maxers, who play Skyrim and get every skill to 100 and activate every perk.

In Warband you could do the same thing -even if it wasn't the most meta strategy in terms of time management. The point being there was player freedom in how they could go about their unique story, with no time limit on any action whatsoever. Anything that hinders player freedom runs antipodal to the sandbox spirit in general.

As far as Bannerlord's pacing issues go, the starting player age and shortened year cycle are but two of multiple factors contributing to the problem, the others being the continued occurrence of factions either imploding or ballooning in a relatively short amount of time (see: any snowballing thread), the epidemic of lords switching to other factions, the defeated lord's unit respawn rate, and the endless zerg rush of enemy lords (even if they are underpowered) when the player is at war with another kingdom. -All these issues have are brought up and extrapolated upon in other threads, but nonetheless they too contribute to the game's pacing problim.

I would also like to point out that in its current state, many of Bannerlord's features and quests are still quite bare-bones, so it's definitely possible to accomplish all there is to do in the game in a timely manner before any of the finite prerequisites expire -as long as you focus them and make them a priority. Looking to the future though, Bannerlord will (hopefully) have much more numerous, fleshed out, and expanded upon activities for the player to engage in, so finding the the right balance of pacing is something to consider.

I don't mind what we start at 20 sounds good. I find the Khuzait faction spreads so fast that even before the player is think kingdom there are normally the major faction. So the snowballing of factions is a problem. In warband you could upgrade your villages be good if this was added. I think what could work is all clans could rise to kingdom standards and if kingdoms could fall to clan level. instead of having a one castle kingdom . Lords swapping sides is strange at the moment, it would be better if it was civil war over faction swapping .if they get banished or the king puts and execution order on them the have them swap. But last I would add you play as a clan not just a character is imho so the completing even thing you can do can still be done.

I think the female protagonist should be in her twenties .. My character got to old to find a hubby in my first attempt to play the game.
so I start the game now and run around like a mad woman finding a husband. ugh.

I'd love an aging option like these:
- Immortal (exactly what it says on the tin)
- Normal (just like warband and real life, 1 year = 1 year)
- Fast (current enforced setting. 3 month = 1 year, was it?)
- I'mmadietomorrow (1 day = 1 year? 1 month = 1 year? I know some people would love this)

Or just simply full custom, like, enter how many days = 1 year: [enter number here]

I like the idea of an ageing character and building a clan getting married and having heirs . But to me its slow because I have a character that's that's now 35 who as over 500000gold a massive army and land . if I keep going my heir will having nothing to do. Plus my character dies at 65 so I have 30 years left . I like the ageing in the game and that's was the hook that got me to but it . You not a God your not immortal you bleed and you can die. Its about building a legacy which to me is very interesting ,the dev's have families into the game and each family is connected to someone else just like the players. So when you create your starting character your really creating your clan .

I remember this being mentioned as a legacy system . So it is real. Also it was what got me interested in Bannerlord. So I also would be very disappointed if this was dropped.

Can you link it? It's not on the Steam store page, or mentioned in the Bannerlord's feature page at TW.

I like the idea of an ageing character and building a clan getting married and having heirs . But to me its slow because I have a character that's that's now 35 who as over 500000gold a massive army and land . if I keep going my heir will having nothing to do. Plus my character dies at 65 so I have 30 years left . I like the ageing in the game and that's was the hook that got me to but it . You not a God your not immortal you bleed and you can die. Its about building a legacy which to me is very interesting ,the dev's have families into the game and each family is connected to someone else just like the players. So when you create your starting character your really creating your clan .

Yet you never need to sleep, and can recover from major wounds in mere days with no permanent or debilitating injuries. You survive things that would kill a mortal. Might as well makes players take time to **** if you want The Sims experience you are after.

I don't care about the trivialities and mundane aspects of having a virtual family, especially if it means needing to re-level a character or rush the entire experience. Time limits and expiration dates on my character do nothing to improve my experience. None of that was mentioned in the features list. Legacy M&B titles didn't have this shortcoming.

Can you link it? It's not on the Steam store page, or mentioned in the Bannerlord's feature page at TW.

Yet you never need to sleep, and can recover from major wounds in mere days with no permanent or debilitating injuries. You survive things that would kill a mortal. Might as well makes players take time to **** if you want The Sims experience you are after.

I don't care about the trivialities and mundane aspects of having a virtual family, especially if it means needing to re-level a character or rush the entire experience. Time limits and expiration dates on my character do nothing to improve my experience. None of that was mentioned in the features list. Legacy M&B titles didn't have this shortcoming.
I hope they add a Viking conquest type wound system . Like you some people just want the immortal warrior that's fine . I don't and the legacy system was mentioned and that's why we have the families and part work heir system and why the game got me interested something differant. Also as for sleep that's pointless and wounds that would kill they may add that yet . But that a side in my current game as I said my character as all that gold and land a massive army and is only 35 I have 30 more years in game and in the games current state get bored before he turns 65 and dies of old age. I do hope for you the dev's or a mod makes your character have a immortal button so you can enjoy the game as you like. But I wouldn't be interested. and pooing as if.

I hope they add a Viking conquest type wound system . Like you some people just want the immortal warrior that's fine . I don't and the legacy system was mentioned and that's why we have the families and part work heir system and why the game got me interested something differant. Also as for sleep that's pointless and wounds that would kill they may add that yet . But that a side in my current game as I said my character as all that gold and land a massive army and is only 35 I have 30 more years in game and in the games current state get bored before he turns 65 and dies of old age. I do hope for you the dev's or a mod makes your character have a immortal button so you can enjoy the game as you like. But I wouldn't be interested. and pooing as if.

That's the thing, though. The 'legacy system' wasn't even mentioned on the Steam Store Page, or TW's Bannerlord Features page. The closest I've come to 'advertised' is dated forum posts and dev blogs that have obsolete information and concepts that have been abandoned. From gameplay videos of scrapped builds, and town management mechanics that probably won't be in the final release.

It's not as much the being 'immortal' as it is that the game wants to waste my time. You want to constantly re-level characters as you possess your heirs that still survive more punishment than a mortal would and don't need to sleep.

I have to sleep, die, and deal with a family in real life. I didn't ask for this in my Mount & Blade. Especially if it comes with the baggage of having my progress wiped regardless of what I do.

That's the thing, though. The 'legacy system' wasn't even mentioned on the Steam Store Page, or TW's Bannerlord Features page. The closest I've come to 'advertised' is dated forum posts and dev blogs that have obsolete information and concepts that have been abandoned. From gameplay videos of scrapped builds, and town management mechanics that probably won't be in the final release.

It's not as much the being 'immortal' as it is that the game wants to waste my time. You want to constantly re-level characters as you possess your heirs that still survive more punishment than a mortal would and don't need to sleep.

I have to sleep, die, and deal with a family in real life. I didn't ask for this in my Mount & Blade. Especially if it comes with the baggage of having my progress wiped regardless of what I do.

I don't see my family as baggage . but in the game ,we just have a different opinion. As hope they let you be immortal . As for leveling up skills children are getting great skill levels now in game. I hope they let me have a more in depth experience and the family age come into play and no one is immortal for longer more interesting gameplay i don't get the power trip of immortal game play. different strokes for different folks. I hope we both get our wish.

Last edited:
+1

Completely agree, I wish this feature could be completely turned off: For me Mount & Blade is about making your one and only character the best.

If I wanted to manage my family and have a heir, I would play CK2 or the Sims, not M&B.

I'd love an aging option like these:
- Immortal (exactly what it says on the tin)
- Normal (just like warband and real life, 1 year = 1 year)
- Fast (current enforced setting. 3 month = 1 year, was it?)
- I'mmadietomorrow (1 day = 1 year? 1 month = 1 year? I know some people would love this)

Or just simply full custom, like, enter how many days = 1 year: [enter number here]

Sounds like a great idea, it pleases everyone.

I don't see my family as baggage . but in the game ,we just have a different opinion. As hope they let you be immortal . As for leveling up skills children are getting great skill levels now in game. I hope they let me have a more in depth experience and the family age come into play and no one is immortal for longer more interesting gameplay i don't get the power trip of immortal game play. different strokes for different folks. I hope we both get our wish.
...and again you miss the point. It's not the 'power-trip.' I don't find re-leveling a character to continue my playthrough entertaining, interesting, or rewarding in any manner. I guess the family system and 'legacy system' must be for the sweaties and neckbeards that don't mind their time being wasted, and want to pretend they could convince a woman to have sex with them. Re-grinding progress doesn't mean 'in-depth' to me. It just means I have to repeat the same steps to continue developing a character or playing the game. I can cover more game if I'm not stuck possessing and re-leveling the bodies of my virtual children after my character self-destructs.

...and you still can't provide any evidence where they claim 'legacy' or 'aging death' was advertised on either the Steam store page or even the official TW Bannerlord Features list.

xgr5G0D.png

It wasn't advertised as being based around being a family simulator or having your characters self-destruct after a certain amount of time in a playthrough. It was advertised as a Mount & Blade game, and none of the legacy titles in the series had this flaw and built-in time limit/expiration date on your character or playthrough.

I can cover more game if I'm not stuck possessing and re-leveling the bodies of my virtual children after my character self-destructs.
It wasn't advertised as being based around being a family simulator or having your characters self-destruct after a certain amount of time in a playthrough. It was advertised as a Mount & Blade game, and none of the legacy titles in the series had this flaw and built-in time limit/expiration date on your character or playthrough.

I don't think I've seen anyone claim to have done a single playthrough long enough to have their character actually die.

edit: and in the incredibly rare situation where you get executed, you don't have to re-level; you get to choose between your spouse or your companions. I picked playing as my spouse because she had better stats anyway.

...and again you miss the point. It's not the 'power-trip.' I don't find re-leveling a character to continue my playthrough entertaining, interesting, or rewarding in any manner. I guess the family system and 'legacy system' must be for the sweaties and neckbeards that don't mind their time being wasted, and want to pretend they could convince a woman to have sex with them. Re-grinding progress doesn't mean 'in-depth' to me. It just means I have to repeat the same steps to continue developing a character or playing the game. I can cover more game if I'm not stuck possessing and re-leveling the bodies of my virtual children after my character self-destructs.

...and you still can't provide any evidence where they claim 'legacy' or 'aging death' was advertised on either the Steam store page or even the official TW Bannerlord Features list.

xgr5G0D.png

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Great news! The first baby in Calradia has been born! Yay!

The mother, is us, the player, a woman named Boudicca: a caravan raider hailing from the misty foothills of Battania. On our travels (read: raids), we managed to steal the heart of Usair, an Aserai warlord who sports a proud moustache.

The proud parents, Usair and Boudicca

On the 20th of November, 1084 (the year of the Camel), the heavens blessed our union with the honour of parenting the very first child on the shores of Calradia!

Please, allow us to introduce our daughter, Ruwa, who as of now is still a babe, but we spared no expense and commissioned the best portraitist in the court of Unqid, the Sultan of Aserai, who believes she will look something a little like this by the age of 10.

Ruwa (the Children of Men)

Her beautiful face was derived from the features (facekeys) of her father and mother, with a small amount of randomness thrown into the mix. And thus, she has a unique face(key) which will retain traits of her parents into adulthood. And, it is not just the facial traits that she will inherit from her parents, but also our wealth and lands too, which we worked tirelessly to accumulate through entirely legitimate means.

As she grows, we will be able to spend more time with her, interact with her, share our experiences and skills with her, and develop her into a fine young woman.

Clan Boudicca is much more complete now!

On a more serious note, we are extremely excited to be able to share this with you. Children are something we have been working on for some time now and to finally see them implemented and working in-game has been a really rewarding experience. We have plenty to talk about in terms of dynasties and how children will work as a feature in the game, but we will save that for a later date.

There is other mentions I found this in seconds.

!

Back
Top Bottom