Beta Patch Notes e1.4.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are stuck with Khuzaits steamrolling everything and with the greedy rulers taking every fief, among all the rest of the issues, but those two by themselves kind of ruin it all.
In my current game Almost every faction is at war with them, and still they manage to push everyone else back.

This happened in my first campaign, although I was still learning the ropes then. They got really huge.

Second campaign the opportunity to take a castle (and therefore create a kingdom) happened to be a Khuzait gain in Imperial territory. It shouldn't have worked being outnumbered some 2:3 but most of their men fell off ladders and I succeeded with 30 men left, lol.

Anyhow, having previously avoided them, I was now feeling their full wrath. They are very difficult; their cavalry, their movement speed on the map, and the sheer number of lords they have. One war a couple of days back, I made an army of about 1,300 men to take a Khuzait city. Meanwhile they're besieging 3 separate settlements while my army slowly trundles around unable to catch them. Eventually I managed to cheese it and corner them and force them to fight. After the initial skirmishes I held 18 of their lords prisoner, which shocked me really; they were still going strong.

Still, I learned a few things. Some are merely observations, others might actually help.

I only play Imperial so far (and only use Imperial troops), and have a severe problem obtaining heavy cavalry. Their cavalry tie my men up in knots. Except this time my lords had cavalry (some heavy, some archers).

Tactics: I put my archers as far back on the map as I am able, and my infantry just in front of them (shield wall), then order all cavalry to follow me while I lurk. When their horse archers come, I stay out of the way. They try to attack the infantry (being closest), which exposes them to my archers. Once that fight seems to be going well I plough in with the cavalry and order the cavalry to charge them.

There is a very limited time to get it done as the rest of their forces are coming. If their horse archers get behind your archers it's all over, so prevent this at all costs. As their infantry arrive, put your infantry back into line formation and move towards them a bit (mostly to align your infantry with theirs, as your infantry will have been turning in response to their horse archers). When their infantry is very close charge them with your infantry.

The key is to keep all your troops close to your archers; don't stray too far. Your infantry might do ok, and your cavalry too, but it's the hail of arrows from your archers that really start to whittle them down. Hopefully you'll break their line, and at this point it's tempting to chase them - don't! They can easily turn things around with their cavalry.

Bring your infantry back just in front of your archers again (and shield wall), and order your cavalry to follow you again. You might have had to pull your cavalry back before this, which is ok; keep your cavalry close, don't let them run around the map. Rinse and repeat.

Key things to remember are always stay close to your archers, and don't chase them when it seems like you're getting the upper hand; reform and let them come back to you. Put your infantry into regular formation before they fight/charge (as they don't fight so well in shield wall formation). Never let their cavalry get behind your archers. If you don't have cavalry then things get a lot trickier.

Personally I found it interesting tackling the Khuzait as they're a real challenge. I haven't fought the Aserai en masse yet, although I wouldn't be surprised if they're somewhat similar.

Doing this, it seems the AI has a massive advantage, which is why it felt so tough for me (battle tactics aside). I was getting swarmed on the map. Their lords are not only surrounding me in huge numbers, but also sieging other settlements, which forces me to break off sieges and chase them away. They are almost entirely able to dictate the terms of engagement and the pace. My lords (not in the main army), on the other hand, are doing...I have no idea what. They are nowhere to be found?! It seems they do not behave like the enemy AI lords; they do not appear to help. They never turn up for sieges, and the only time they enter combat is when they randomly pass by the chaos and I have to save them from getting ganked, lol.

So yeah, here is one ruler who definitely keeps all the cities for himself! My vassals can start having settlements when they start pulling their weight :p

Suggestion: In order to avoid the tedious whack-a-mole scenario when it comes to sieges, maybe introduce a mechanic that only enables an army to siege (not any/all units), and moreover, implement a mechanic whereby a sieging army cannot simply break it off, run away, then come back and do the same again a few seconds later. Not simply the "disorganized" movement debuff; lock that army down for a while so they can't just run away.

They should have done that before they released the game in EA :sad:
I just don't feel that way about early access, I think hiccups and difficulties are part of the process. I don't think its time to be upset or panic. Don't stress about it, optimism is a lot more healthy. :xf-smile:

That's funny, I have the same experience with the Sturgian Tier 5 Shock Trooper and Veteran Warrior. But I don't think it is because they are too weak. I think it's because they are too athletic : let me explain, if you charge your infantry at the enemy they are among the first units to arrive, and also the units which are first to pursue. I am afraid that the first to arrive at the enemy also get pounded the most and fired upon, before the rest of the pack arrives. That's why their chance of getting killed/wounded is also higher....
At least I'm not the only one seeing this. About the athletics though, that's a great theory but before my first post on this issue I tried a different strategy. I tried separating the Veteran Warriors and putting them right behind my general infantry and I still lost one to looters in that battle (the aforementioned battle). I waited for the looters to hit the front lines too.

Also, on the Shock Trooper, I noticed it was weak too but I thought it was because they weren't using shields and holding the pike with two hands. Regardless, Sturgian Tier 5 infantry should be looked at.

Go home people. Go back to your families... come back tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow we will hear more.
well do something else
there are so many games out
rimworld got a new DLC
EU4 just got one
Prison architect is good , got new DLC

i myself bingewatching GoT again for the moment, imagine what a GoT mod will do

so much todo, so few timeslots

Didn t see anything new. Am I missing something?!

he means steamdb

Thank you guys for support! Now I saw this Added has_adult_content1 thing. Im excited indeed :smile:
I know that you are just joking but that adult content thing is Steam related not Talewords. That tag was getting removed at random times and it's been fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom