I wish spears have swings without shields

agree, disagree

• agree

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • disagree

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Most spears are not designed to be used like that and would mess the spear head up after a few blows. You need to design the weapon for that purpose or the pin or compression fit spear heads will just come off. I would just keep the kung-fu swings to certain polearms like glaives and sword staff type weapons.

The good news is there are a few spears in game that you can swing like the menavliation that you can buy in the empire settlements.

I don't know that I agree with that however thrusting is the most effective way to use a traditional spear. The problem with this game and spears is that weapon damage seems to be based off of velocity and spear thrusts don't have the velocity of a weapon being swung. This then leads to another problem, spears need room to be used. Often to use a spear effectively, you have to back off to give yourself room, which the game unfortunately translates as negative velocity which in turn means you do even less damage with your thrust.

What really needs to happen is for spears to be decoupled from the velocity mechanic in some way, form or fashion and then have its base thrust damage increase significantly so that your basic thrust has nearly the same damage as if you were swinging a sword. Additionally you should be able to do this damage or at least nearly this amount of damage even if your backing up.

Most spears are not designed to be used like that and would mess the spear head up after a few blows. You need to design the weapon for that purpose or the pin or compression fit spear heads will just come off. I would just keep the kung-fu swings to certain polearms like glaives and sword staff type weapons.
They didn't care much about durability, spears where consumables. The battlefield wasn't some kind of dojo, they used everything they had at their disposal.

one of the reason mount blade beats every other sword game is because of it's freedom to use weapons as u may wish.
why lock that option.
Ai & balancing are not an excuse to lock fighting options
Because as others mentioned, there are plenty of spear designs that will literally not take one full swing.

For them to survive 1 proper swing you need to seat them very deep - make either a long blade like the glaives, or put two strips of metal for a certain length. That makes them top heavy, which makes them worse at being a spear for thrusting. But luckily it makes them even better at swinging.

Nothing is taken away, like in real life there are spears which can do both. But you need more metal, or it will break after 1 shot, that's just pendulums + timber.

I think swinging spears should be used as a parry or defence not an offence. Especially when you are in a shield wall.
Spears are good at keeping enemies at a distance, if your enemy succeed to close the distance, then you should be in danger.
From ancient to medieval times you rarely fought 1v1 with two hand spears or spear and shield. This video from lindybeige explains why

The one feature I miss is stabbing with spears when you have your shield up, as you should do. You don't lower your shield to stab.

certain attack animation from these stance should not have that "pull back" phrase at all.
+1

I was always interested in the yari spear moveset in shogun 2 total war. I think the side attacks could be that way, but I would rather that it can be unlocked through the perks.

This shows "how to use a spear" so well, the dude dies in the end tho.

spears aren't made to be swinged like in warband
In real life, people used and you can swing the spear, even with the shield. I don't think the game should be worse than real life.

The good news is there are a few spears in game that you can swing like the menavliation that you can buy in the empire settlements.
You know the quarter staff, right? It's basically the shaft of the spear. Unless spear's shaft is made of weak wood. You can use it like all other pole-arms.

There is at least one spear in the game that can be swung. When you swing it, it does blunt damage.

A spear that is swung is not technically a spear. A spear is used for thrusting or throwing or both. There are many spear like weapons (polearms) that can be swung or thrusted. Some of these are in the game too.

You can do some damage by moving your spear tip if you see it is going to miss. If you make contact with something or someone it does blunt damage. I do this often on accident when using those stupid little spears in the Khuzait arenas (worst spear in the game).

If you want a spear you can swing, use a polearm. That is quite literally what they are made for.

Back
Top Bottom