• disagree

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

i don't mind low swing damage, 15 or 18 damage
spears supposed to be versatile,

Warband spears have swings and they were definitely not OP
in duels they suck so much now

Most spears are not designed to be used like that and would mess the spear head up after a few blows. You need to design the weapon for that purpose or the pin or compression fit spear heads will just come off. I would just keep the kung-fu swings to certain polearms like glaives and sword staff type weapons.

The good news is there are a few spears in game that you can swing like the menavliation that you can buy in the empire settlements.

Because of way too big animation. It's for all the trusting(stabbing) animation; they pull way to back and then thrust.

Animation is ok for me but it's like moving in slow motion. The animation can stay if it's played faster like it should be. I can understand why someone using spear would pull back so much to have stronger thrust but when thrusting starts it feels like he's underwater.

Animation is ok for me but it's like moving in slow motion. The animation can stay if it's played faster like it should be. I can understand why someone using spear would pull back so much to have stronger thrust but when thrusting starts it feels like he's underwater.
Actually, "pull back so much to have stronger thrust " or any kind of these moves are doesn't not makes your swing, thrust or anything stronger. There's might be some of an exceptions tho.

Maybe a spear used two handed should give you something akind to a shield bash. In the end a spear is a pointy stick to stab people so except for polearms (glaives, halberds, bills etc.) swinging it would not do much by comparison. You would however do it to parry and bring the enemy back to a distance so smacking him to stagger him back might be something which would add gameplay without making it too complicated.

I think spears should be able to trust from 4 directions, up, left, down,right, shield or no spear. For those spears and polearms that can slash, you would just press X to change weapon mode. Same should apply to all polearms, even some axes have a sharp point that could be used to thrust, if not very well. But slashing with spears should definetly only happen when holding it 2 handed.
Also in same way you should be able to press X with swords to be able to thrust from 4 directions. Not being able to do that is unrealistic limitation.

Perhaps it would be too difficult to thrust from the left, certainly a lot harder. But at least from top, right and down it would be possible, or if character holds the weapon on his left (like can happen with 2 handed weapons), from left instead of right.

Though it should be much faster to press X in some situations. Its fine to have delay if you have to change grip, like with throwing spears which have cool detail of character actually flipping the spear right way around.

Not sure if 15 swing damage for spears would be realistic number :unsure:

I think spears should be able to trust from 4 directions, up, left, down,right, shield or no spear. For those spears and polearms that can slash, you would just press X to change weapon mode. Same should apply to all polearms, even some axes have a sharp point that could be used to thrust, if not very well. But slashing with spears should definetly only happen when holding it 2 handed.

Though it should be much faster to press X in some situations. Its fine to have delay if you have to change grip, like with throwing spears which have cool detail of character actually flipping the spear right way around.

Not sure if 15 swing damage for spears would be realistic number :unsure:
true it would also look extremly wonky if you 'd use a 1h spear with shield and slash left right and overhead ..

twell the 4 direction thrust 'd be really nice and then again a super flexible weapon.

I'd alsolike to see a counce lance stance for grond infantrie,when they are using long pikes

Maybe a spear used two handed should give you something akind to a shield bash. In the end a spear is a pointy stick to stab people so except for polearms (glaives, halberds, bills etc.) swinging it would not do much by comparison. You would however do it to parry and bring the enemy back to a distance so smacking him to stagger him back might be something which would add gameplay without making it too complicated.
I don't know, I'm not an expert but if I find myself in that situation I would use a shorter grip.

also another st we may forget,if you would enable swing what will happen to the overhead thrust will it also transform to an overhead swing ?
or should it be like the medalivion i hope i spelled it right xD then its depenable on the weapons blade or am i wrong?

+1 I mean, even Japanese did swing with really long yari (It's size of pike). It just strike from the above to down tho, but still.
The spear swing in reality is more for parry, rather than to attack. The game's block serves like parry, so I would say it's fine.

The medieval Japanese had a pike formation using pike-long yari, in that formation they had a special swing attack which is a up-down smash, but the animation doesn't looks like the way this game handle an overhead swing for polearm.

Used to saw some sideward swing attack animation with a spear in some action films, but those movement were most likely to be used to strike someone off the horse.

... I can understand why someone using spear would pull back so much to have stronger thrust but when thrusting starts it feels like he's underwater.
This is the exact problem that many attack animations this game has. Because this game doesn't use a "guard/stance" system to help initiate the attack/block animation, so it has to use a wierd pull back first then release animation to make the attack looks immersive. But this method sucks when some "basic" attack was performed. We know that the game doesn't has a "guard/stance" system, but since the some idle stance are already quite close to a type of combat "guard/stance" for a weapon(for example the 2h sword idle stance, or all shield blocking stance ), certain attack animation from these stance should not have that "pull back" phrase at all.

This is the exact problem that many attack animations this game has. Because this game doesn't use a "guard/stance" system to help initiate the attack/block animation, so it has to use a wierd pull back first then release animation to make the attack looks immersive. But this method sucks when some "basic" attack was performed. We know that the game doesn't has a "guard/stance" system, but since the some idle stance are already quite close to a type of combat "guard/stance" for a weapon(for example the 2h sword idle stance, or all shield blocking stance ), certain attack animation from these stance should not have that "pull back" phrase at all.

Even if that part of animation is removed the rest would still would feel like performed underwater. The thrust part of animation lacks speed. It's especially visible in 1v1 fights. In my opinion speed and distance are main spear advantages.

Even if that part of animation is removed the rest would still would feel like performed underwater. The thrust part of animation lacks speed. It's especially visible in 1v1 fights. In my opinion speed and distance are main spear advantages.
Indeed, the slow motion sucks. The attack speed should not be varied that much. A better way to do it is replacing the attack speed with a "recovery time", a "cooldown" in between animations that simulates the recovery of the balance. In reality, when you swing a tool, as long as you can swing it, it's swing speed would be quite fast. The difference between swinging a chopstick and swinging a hammer is the recovery time between one swing and the next.

This game, and some other games merged the actual attack animation with the post-attack recovery time caused the slow-mo problem.

I was always interested in the yari spear moveset in shogun 2 total war. I think the side attacks could be that way, but I would rather that it can be unlocked through the perks.

Back
Top Bottom