2h units are useless unless archers get nerfed

Users who are viewing this thread

Um Alexander used alot of Heavy Calvary no just infantry. Phalanx was used but not as anything more than pinning down, holding, or acting as distraction to pull the infantry away from the archers allowing cavalry to flank.

I would really love to shoot like this in game, this guy even can pull with his leg which should pull most of the "super bow".

Nerf this.

@LEEKING2005 thanks for sharing that very impresive indeed, now that 3 arrows in hand would be an awesome archery perk in game .

Based on how he was shooting i am guessing he is only using a 60lb draw.

Realistically, arrows and bolts have a lot of drag, losing much of their energy fairly rapidly.
The difference between a close, and long-range hit is pretty massive.
I hate how people keep making the realism argument in favour of unrealistic things.

Untrue my good man. Realistically, warbows would have an effective kill range of nearly 300 yards. The introduction of segmented plate and plate armor began to make bowmen obsolete.

This is the time period where leather armor, two handed weaponry, the old stories of glorious two handed swordsmen came to an end. Warbows got so powerful you simply did not spend the energy on weaponry unless you had a shield, or you had scale, segmented plate or plate armor.

So, in the end they are quite deadly. I do am in favor of a slider to accommodate those who wish arrows to be less deadly than their realistic counterparts. While at the same time make top tier units that wield the aforementioned armor types to be far more resistant to arrow fire, except if they get hit in the arms or legs.

This is the time period where horse archers and 2 handed wielders fell out of style. They just weren't effective troops anymore, at least not for another few generations more.

@LEEKING2005 thanks for sharing that very impresive indeed, now that 3 arrows in hand would be an awesome archery perk in game .

Most likely, and they have huge killing potential but the range of a warbow compared to a short bow is like comparing a rifle to a shot gun.
Short bow effective range is of a few dozen yards at best. These type of bows however are only useless with those that have leather armor or below. Meaning anything with a padded gambeson, scale, segmented plate and plate is immune to these. The former of them yielding bruises, but not much else.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's doesn't matter if he use 120 or 80lb bow. As you can see he didn't even draw it full most of the time to achieve the "close range rapid shot". The standard of bow weight usually mean you open it full (21 inches if I'm not mistaken), if you just pull a little it doesn't count.

So I heard the most powerful shot (with bow over 200 lb) they pull it with leg, cause everyone know how leg stronger than hand 6 times or something like that.

This is the time period where leather armor, two handed weaponry, the old stories of glorious two handed swordsmen came to an end.
Emmmm.. Nope.Two handed weaponry wasnt popular at all before 15 century(may be you can count scotish spear walls). Armor wasnt good enough, so shield provided too much protection and advantage in melee combat to throw it.
2 hander no shield style(ZweiHanders, pikes, halberds) became popular only at 15-16 centuries.

Emmmm.. Nope.Two handed weaponry wasnt popular at all before 15 century. Armor wasnt good enough, so shield provided too much protection and advantage in melee combat to throw it.
2 hander no shield style(ZweiHanders, pikes, halberds) became popular only at 15-16 centuries.

I'm not understanding, you are disagreeing on a point I agree with you?

Yea that could be interesting, once you unlock it you could say, press X just like couching your lance. And it wouldn't be THAT strong, since if you miss it you just lost 3 arrows. It would be pretty much a risk-reward playstyle that could help you out if you messed up and the enemy gets close.

Na i meant having 3 arrows in hand for rapid firing not shooting at once. You see during the video how he pulls 3 arrows from quiver so he can rapid fire, this would be an awesome perk as it would greatly reduce reload time.

Na i meant having 3 arrows in hand for rapid firing not shooting at once. You see during the video how he pulls 3 arrows from quiver so he can rapid fire, this would be an awesome perk as it would greatly reduce reload time.
hahahahah my bad. I played myself right there. I watched this video years ago but didn't bother watching it again,oh well! *leaves in humiliation*

The issue being, if they nerf archers to the point that they can barely kill 2h soldiers, they're going to be absolutely useless against soldiers with shields.

What they need to do is allow us to put units in custom selection groups like we could in WB. That way you can effectively keep the 2H's behind the shields and not just a single infantry bunch that it is now.

Agreed. I would especially like to be able to change my companions to their own number and it stick. Currently it always resets. I like to use them and my more disposable units (recruited bandits and such) to engage the enemy before commiting my more expensive troops and you can't really do that at present. I imagine that functionality will be added though.

My bad, actually the full draw standard are 28 inches (not 21), but the guy took Guinness World Records pull an 200lb on 32.5 inches.

I think generally the common weight use in Warbow is 80-140lb cause then only you can shoot all days with full accuracy.

Currently they still haven't implemented the quick release like they had in Fire and Sword, but it would nice to have 3 arrows perk after your bow skills improved cause current I'm 197 bow skill and I still shoot very very slow (same rate with low tier imperial archer) even not moving around.

Also i think the firing bow using both hand in the video is very cool. Usually when you practice archery they generally tell you to hold with 1 hand and pull with another, and you will generally suck in aiming because usually not both of your hands are in same strength. To maintain a steady aim, the strength of your holding hand actually more important than the hand which was pulling. What if you pull with both hand? Wouldn't it make your pulling much faster compared to pull with one hand assumed both of your hand are equally strong.

Actually it's like shooting with your leg, instead of pulling the string you actually pushing the bow, it's a very interesting blind spot.

Last edited:
The feature still needs to be worked on so you can put x of that troop in it x of that troop and so on
getting rid of the default groups (putting everyone into 9 from the start)

displayin the morale of each of ur units, so you can attack enemy weakpoints
theres still alot to do

Yes and also a way to recognize the groups on the battlefield (maybe make us put a title above them), right now they all have the same icon and I still hear "infantry!" when I choose my cavalry...

I thought the custom formation option was broken, but apparently it just needs re-applied after every load. Very frustrating and inconvenient. But that does indeed help me keep my 2-handers out of range of enemy machine gun fire. I don't think 2-handers are particularly weak though, I've watched them do good work up close! The archers however need some kind of nerf, either to accuracy, speed, or damage, or all three. And on top of that we need the collision fixed so that cavalry can actually run down the archers.

Unless your two-handed infantry have plate armour, then realistically, they're going to be torn to shreds by archers.

-Slow moving
-No shield

If archers were designed to kill a unit, it would be two-handed infantry.

I agree with what has been said about allowing shielded infantry to be selected separately (and really, spears and swords need to be separated too).

The big problems with these 'archers OP' posts is partly because the AI, even if they have shields, don't use shieldwalls.

Shieldwalls are a pretty good counter to archers and ranged in general. Archers in the game are fine. Sure, Battanian Fian Champions destroy almost anything from range, but that is because they are
A: a tier 7 troop
B: Battania is known for its pew-pew archers
C: AI refuses to form shieldwalls and doesn't seem capable of even the simplest of tactics
D: All the footage I've seen from Fian Champions deleting stuff from range has been on open field, clear FoV maps

And...
I agree with what has been said about allowing shielded infantry to be selected separately (and really, spears and swords need to be separated too)

THIS.

One of my biggest peeves about the game so far is that infantry units are just placed randomly. I have my naked falxmen in the front and my shielded guys somewhere in the back and I'm incapable of doing anything about it. It's annoying. They should rename the 'Shieldwall' formation into 'Meatwall' because my shieldless guys are often placed in the front and on the sides. :sad:

Realistically, arrows and bolts have a lot of drag, losing much of their energy fairly rapidly.
The difference between a close, and long-range hit is pretty massive.
I hate how people keep making the realism argument in favour of unrealistic things.
Also a typical arrow hitting a plate helmer or even a chest covered in chainmail probably wouldn't result in either immediate death (first case) or being left with less than half HP (whatever that means in real life) in real life.

but you know, muh realism!

They seriously need to add some mechanic that would treat wounds widely different depending on not just what bodypart they hit, but also on whether the part they hit was covered by armor, and what kind of armor that was.

its almost as if archers are a counter to infantry? the problem with most 2h units is their stats are garbage, ulfednar get weaker and are jokes.

Yes you are absolutely right. The Ulfhednar makes me quite sad, he definitely needs a small buff, nothing too big though.

Last time I checked on the encyclopedia, Falxmen (Empire or Vlandians? I don't remember which faction they're in.) were a lot better than them and they're a Tier lower. I just stopped upgrading my berserkers when I found that out.

Back
Top Bottom