Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I really dislike the hard skill caps based on focuses and think they're a bad system. Would be nice if they were multipliers before you hit them, then you just get standard gain after.

Yah, I am not a fan of the hard cap. I like the idea of using focus points so you level your desired skills faster, but needing them to advance at all is annoying.

Especially with how wildly unevenly skills advance. My Stewardship is suddenly my best stat and I feel almost obligated to keep adding focus points to it because I don't want to completely halt the progression, but I'd much rather spend it on riding so I can finally ride my purebred Battanian pony I won in a tournament at the start of the game but need 90 riding just to sit on.

Hard cap should be removed, instead it should just become harder and harder to gain a new skill point the better you become.

Also, the level ups need to come quicker or some skills (those that have few opportunities to get XP for them) need to be trained faster.

OR there has to be a way to passively train them, such as handing a book on medicine and perhaps "medical training equipment" to your surgeon so they can gain some medicine XP passively per day instead of you having to get your people beaten up.

"You there, peasants. Fight those looters and try JUST to become wounded. Do NOT die. I cannot have my surgeon train on corpses!"

Level difficulty:

Easy: Stewardship (different food)

Normal: Weapons, Rougery (pillaging villages)

Possible: Horse, Healer(but useless), Smith(stamina), athletics, Engineering, Leadership(clan lvl2), Tactics

Impossible: Charm

I now own two nice warhorses (and a camel) that I won in tournaments. They all require 90 riding skill. My character will most likely die of old age before he ever has the riding skill to use them. Getting skill on polearms seems to work okay. Getting skill in riding, not so much.

Horse Arching is the way to go. 40m hits stationary on a horse against any opponent will give you up to +3 skill for Riding. With full focus that is, I managed to get to 105 Riding and 95 Archery with 20 engagements against groups of 4-6 Looters. Pretty sure headshots and neck shots have a slight bonus to XP, as well.
Polearms are reasonably fast to level on horse, too, yet here Riding seems to not scale as well accordingly. I suspect that skill increases on these rely on speed, damage dealt (raw I hope) and body part hit. Also range for archery. However it does not scale well. Stationary on horse with long range shots, will give way more riding XP than Archery XP. Moving on Horse fast and shooting targets 10m away will grant more Archery skill than riding skill (albeit the difference is not as much).
I still go up by +2 riding when engaging 4-6 Looters.
The level system works, it is not fine-tuned though. Also I believe they should either scrap attributes all together or make them increase by doing stuff in these fields.
Also levelcaps shouldn't exist and the skill prerequisites for a level should be more like +2 or +3 instead of +5. That way the min-maxers can get all perks, and Roleplay dudes can have a character representative of their actions. The way it is now, the optimal way is to put all focus into 2-4 disciplines to maximise level gain.

Impossible: Charm

It is really weird that charm doesn't level up from attempting and passing persuasion checks. My merc spent the early game mostly negotiating blood feuds and convincing wayward maidens to return to their fathers. Somehow this career as a negotiator didn't make him any more persuasive.

Seems OP has a point here ! Have to agree unfortunately.
Well, in theory it is indeed broken. However the question is how relevant that is to every player at the stage of this game. My highest level I gained so far is level 10 and my highest skill is 110. So any cap is still miles and miles away.
In any case hard caps are just not good design. Also some perks still do not work or are not quantifiable really, so I guess this is a work in progress. I suspect they already did some tweaks to XP gain for some skills.
The first playthrough I put two points into scouting and charm, as I had a clear idea, what type of dude I wanted to play, just to never really increase these stats and therefore wasting three focus points.

All I can say is, by investing all five focus points into one-handed, it seems that the last two columns of perks are beyond the skill limit. Since skills can not grow above the limit, I can only assume it's simply not achieveable.

All I can say is, by investing all five focus points into one-handed, it seems that the last two columns of perks are beyond the skill limit. Since skills can not grow above the limit, I can only assume it's simply not achieveable.

Yeah you are supposed to also put all your attribute points into it, to raise the limit and increase your modifier.
Naturally this is not very good design, since this is a game where people, even in one playthrough, want to explore many different things. However, as it is currently, you either make a power-level character, or make a sort of jack-of-many-trades, just to be average to decent in 4-6 skills.

Yeah you are supposed to also put all your attribute points into it, to raise the limit and increase your modifier.
Naturally this is not very good design, since this is a game where people, even in one playthrough, want to explore many different things. However, as it is currently, you either make a power-level character, or make a sort of jack-of-many-trades, just to be average to decent in 4-6 skills.
Forgot to mention I had my vigor at 10 then. I was testing with the dev console and gave myself a lot of attribute points. The last to columns on the skill tree were not reachable at 10 vigor and 5 focus.

In my book full focus should eliminate the cap, base cap should be 75-100 and each attribute point added should increase the XP gain rate, so you can actually train two weapon proficiencies at reasonable rate.
This way you can be a master archer and also get decent in throwing weapons, and can also have a couple of other areas you can become good in and even switch focus mid-game, say from predominant lone-wolf and trader to warlord and ruler.

Forgot to mention I had my vigor at 10 then. I was testing with the dev console and gave myself a lot of attribute points. The last to columns on the skill tree were not reachable at 10 vigor and 5 focus.
Ah okay, yeah that is indeed pretty broken. I'd still put this down to EA, though.

It seems like 2 starting attribute points are an actual ZERO.

because they put 10 proficiency cap, hard cap comes at 18 proficiency.

Each attribute gives otherwise 10 higher cap. So, 2 attribute points should give a cap of 30, not 10. Because 0 attribute if possible, should still give you ability to learn something.

You start with 2 attibute points, so without them your skills are capped - 10, hard capped at -2.

attribute per 4 levels instead of 3 is also not fun at all.

I'm pretty sure you can learn past the learning limit and its.just slow.
there are for some reason hard caps, where you gain 0,00 exp. With 2 starting attributes, no focus, you start with 5 skills. (to prevent easy level ups from 0)

your skill cap is 10, past which you get penalty and a complete stop at skill point 18. This is too limiting. If at start your skill cap was 30 or 45 from starting attibutes being at 2 points, this would have been way diffferent. The difficulty and extreme focus to one area and still impossibility to reach high with 10 attributes and 5 focus - fail.

Attribute levels should be also given at 3 levels not 4. This limits growth and fun.

Maybe it is if you affect them for a particular purpose (Clan screen) that they assign points themselves.

Nope. All of them assigned on positions but they never allocate point to skills needed. They just allocate them to fighting skills. Sometimes they don't allocate them and I can do it.

Back
Top Bottom