MP Suggestion: Replace the class system with something that's actually fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

I find the class system works well. It's basically like building your own class with the 6x equipment choices already, but limited for balance and to not overload the choices. Some of the equipment could use switching and balancing, I'm sure those changes will continue as it was throughout the beta.

it does not work well, the balancing is appalling. using the same classes for Skirmish, TDM, Captain and Siege makes no sense and guarantees that they will never be simultaneously balanced for all modes at once. some classes are straight up useless (nobody has ever seriously picked the Sturgian Brigand class, and those that do are new players that will never do it again because it is garbage) and there are several examples of those. the prices are way off, with super strong classes like the Sharpshooter, Veteran and Khan's Guard dominating competent gameplay because of how effective they are at both range and melee. every class is good at everything, so infantry can use bows, archers are super good in melee and anyone can ride a horse - this basically means that you don't need to pick infantry at all, just a good archer who can hybrid the melee role or a good infantry who can pick up a bow. some items are busted, like the glaive for the Khuzait Lancer which can do 200+ swing damage when used from horseback - an item which I reported as being too strong in the alpha last July but was never changed.

most perks are useless too, with only a few actually being repeatedly taken by competent players. i use the term competent players, because obviously new people are gonna pick whatever they feel like until they find what's good - that's why TW using their "data" to work out what is balanced and what is broken is dumb, cuz new people are gonna pick the **** stuff regardless. that, or people just looking to mess around will pick the useless but amusing stuff too.

a gear system like Warband had would have been far easier to balance and manage. the Captain mode troops could just be crafted into their necessary and balanced state, for Skirmish individual items could be given appropriate costs and snowballing could be managed simply by denying access to multiple very high tier items - making it an upgrade choice between good armour or good weapons (like is in Warband). "snowballed" heavy armour players in warband multiplayer could be taken out by low armour more skilled players fairly easy, even in top competitive matches a less armoured team still had a good chance of winning against a more armoured one if they used better tactics and outskilled them. in Bannerlord, the armour bonuses are so immense that they have artificially made their theoretical version of "snowballing" a problem. reduced armour values for MP would make a Warband-type gear selection system work well. such a system would also give room to TDM and Siege players to take it as seriously as they wanted - either very seriously with "proper" builds or would let them mess around with cheap and funny items/gear. it would be better for both competitive and casual play, letting people determine how they wanted to play. many improvements to that system have been suggested - many in the OP here - and at this point i seriously cannot think of a reason not to go with what the overwhelming majority of MP players want. all they are doing is INVITING mod-makers to make a mod that gives the community what they want, something which would kill all of TW's matchmaking servers and ruin whatever effort they have put into MP.

using the same classes for Skirmish, TDM, Captain and Siege makes no sense and guarantees that they will never be simultaneously balanced for all modes at once

Absolutly true. I have posted about it before when beta was still running.
It doesn't make sense to me that in Skirmish the troops are regulated by cost and in Captain by troop size.
We could need different perks for each mode. Additional troops would be nice for Captain, while nobody I know prefers a lighter over bigger shield in Skirmish where archers are still so strong.

Taleworlds could make perks based on gold, so that extra perks cost extra money. But then that would make low cost unit like light cav, light infantry and light archers redundant. And we would basically be back at Warband's three classes.

Why the new system is better than Warband's:

• Prevents snowballing.
    In WB a losing team had to start over with 1000 gold each while the enemy team gears up. A losing team in BL can save up the gold by not spawning when it's not necessary and make a comeback in the next round, so there's never an equipment gap between teams, only a spawn lives gap and it's not significant and can be mitigated with smart play. This makes that the overall skill of the team becomes the most important factor in deciding who's gonna win.
  • Allows for easier balancing.
    It all comes down to simple math. In WB the devs had to take into account 8 variables that were the equipment slots for each class in every faction. Now it's only 2 variables - much less randomness to deal with if you want to balance the classes. It's simple math, just do the number of permutations available for both systems and you'll see that BL is easier to balance by orders of magnitude, despite having 6 classes per faction.
  • Ease of use.
    In Warband all the competitive teams used standard equipment anyways, so the new system just made it easier for us: instead of clicking many times to pick the proper equipment for each of the 8 slots, you just click once to pick the class, and two more times to pick the necessary perks.
  • Uniformity.
    It's just aesthetically pleasing to see a team composed of properly dressed characters. I will agree though that it's also pleasing to see a band of brigands each dressed according to their ability and taste, but imo it's a mod territory. If they had the old system implemented for say a team deathmatch or some other mode that wasn't ment to be competitive, I'd say it fit perfectly.
  • Encourages competitive play.
    All the points above boil down to this one. With classes that bring order and regularity it's much easier to get into competitive play from every standpoint, be it balancing or ease of use. It grants a potential to expand the competitive community far beyond what Warband was ever capable of. And I think it was precisely their aim when they designed this system, because for me everything points to exactly that.

There is merit to both systems, it really depends on what you expect from it. You can't simply say that one is better than the other, because in many ways they are polar opposites with different goals. The old system would be perfect for non-competitive gamemodes or mods, but for competitive play the new system makes more sense.

I think the classes were thought to be this amazing new revolutionary thing, but turned out to be a complete waste of resources and time. It costs them more time to balance out the perks than it would've cost them to just let people choose from a range of gear, not to mention it's absolutely not an "easier" or "newbie-friendly" alternative, since they have six perks to choose from, and they need to match them just well enough in order to be able to counter the enemy and give them an advantage. It's unlikely classes will ever be removed at this point, so the next best thing would be actually balancing out the perks.

• Prevents snowballing.
    In WB a losing team had to start over with 1000 gold each while the enemy team gears up. A losing team in BL can save up the gold by not spawning when it's not necessary and make a comeback in the next round, so there's never an equipment gap between teams, only a spawn lives gap and it's not significant and can be mitigated with smart play. This makes that the overall skill of the team becomes the most important factor in deciding who's gonna win.
    It all comes down to simple math. In WB the devs had to take into account 8 variables that were the equipment slots for each class in every faction. Now it's only 2 variables - much less randomness to deal with if you want to balance the classes. It's simple math, just do the number of permutations available for both systems and you'll see that BL is easier to balance by orders of magnitude, despite having 6 classes per faction.
  • Ease of use.
    In Warband all the competitive teams used standard equipment anyways, so the new system just made it easier for us: instead of clicking many times to pick the proper equipment for each of the 8 slots, you just click once to pick the class, and two more times to pick the necessary perks.
  • Uniformity.
    It's just aesthetically pleasing to see a team composed of properly dressed characters. I will agree though that it's also pleasing to see a band of brigands each dressed according to their ability and taste, but imo it's a mod territory. If they had the old system implemented for say a team deathmatch or some other mode that wasn't ment to be competitive, I'd say it fit perfectly.
    All the points above boil down to this one. With classes that bring order and regularity it's much easier to get into competitive play from every standpoint, be it balancing or ease of use. It grants a potential to expand the competitive community far beyond what Warband was ever capable of. And I think it was precisely their aim when they designed this system, because for me everything points to exactly that.

There is merit to both systems, it really depends on what you expect from it. You can't simply say that one is better than the other, because in many ways they are polar opposites with different goals. The old system would be perfect for non-competitive gamemodes or mods, but for competitive play the new system makes more sense.

Honestly, I don't hate the new system like some do but I think the above is questionable and this is why people are so outraged - the explicit goals of the new system are not really achieved.

1) Prevent snowballing - it really doesn't. In Warband when teams won some rounds they got armoured up but had one life. Now, they get armour round one (good luck to new players beating infantry experts now all their hits bounce) and after winning one round they get multiple lives as the heaviest armoured knights, sometimes 3 lives of useful classes depending on faction. Competitively and casually, this is a worse snowballing issue (go play siege as peasant only vs armoured defenders if you want to see the new player experience).

2) Allows for easier balancing - theoretically probably true, but we haven't seen much of this and the combat mechanics get in the way a lot more than tweaking some numbers in armour or movement speed. There's also been some bizarre changes like making archers or heavy inf cheaper, and there was talk of how certain changes could not be made due to it all being tied to an algorithm that automatically decides things like value (???)

3) Ease of use - this was the big pro as far as I saw, in Warband to this day you still see people taking the default equipment because they don't get how to use the system there. So I saw this as a good reason to implement the class system in Bannerlord. What do we see though now on release? Noobs are still picking the peasant classes, because it's the first option and they just click spawn. It's the same issue. For everything we've sacrificed I'm not sure this was worth it.

4) Uniformity - this is a negative, not a positive. Makes it harder to distinguish players and makes every battle feel the same.

5) Encourages competitive play - I don't see how this is true especially in combination with 3. If there were obvious synergies I could see this but there are not and they certainly aren't encouraged.

Prevent snowballing - it really doesn't. In Warband when teams won some rounds they got armoured up but had one life. Now, they get armour round one (good luck to new players beating infantry experts now all their hits bounce) and after winning one round they get multiple lives as the heaviest armoured knights, sometimes 3 lives of useful classes depending on faction. Competitively and casually, this is a worse snowballing issue (go play siege as peasant only vs armoured defenders if you want to see the new player experience).
I feel that you don't seem to understand what snowballing is. Snowballing is when a winning team keeps increasing their advantage, in WB it was equipment wise, since the losing team never had a chance to catch up. In BL it's not the case, since both the winning team and the loser team can spawn 2 times as knight(and only two times, not several like you said) down along the match, similar situation was impossible in WB, exactly because the system allowed for hard snowballing. The swadians were infamous for that, because if you gave them at least one round they could all gear up in chainmail and tank their way to victory even against nords in close maps.

Allows for easier balancing - theoretically probably true, but we haven't seen much of this and the combat mechanics get in the way a lot more than tweaking some numbers in armour or movement speed.
Like I said, it's all done with the intent for competitive gameplay in the future. Right now the competitive play is impossible because we don't have neither ranked matchmaking nor tournaments. Competitive gameplay is basically nonexistent right now. But once all of it will be in place, this feature will benefit us(the competitive community) greatly.

Ease of use - this was the big pro as far as I saw
I'm glad that we agree at least on this one.

Uniformity - this is a negative, not a positive. Makes it harder to distinguish players and makes every battle feel the same.
I don't think that's a concern for competitive play. Besides it might be mitigated with custom skins/banners.

Encourages competitive play - I don't see how this is true especially in combination with 3
Like I said, wait until we get ranked and/or tournaments.

• Prevents snowballing.
  • Ease of use.
  • Uniformity.

1) Snowballing remains an issue, particularly once one side is able to afford multiple lives as top tier troops. At this point, it becomes almost impossible for the team with weaker troops and equal lives to win against a competent team with the same number of lives but better troops. The effect of armour is so dramatic in this game that is grants you the ability to take 3 or 4 more hits than a low-mid armoured unit, so multiple lives as heavy armoured troops is a massive deal. In contrast, Warband armour did not grant you that much of an advantage. With base competitive gear (1000 gold), as an infantry, you could expect to die in 2-3 hits and it would largely depend on the weapon of the opponent whether it was 2 or 3. With mail armour, that changed from 2-4, with it being possible for high damage weapons to kill you in 2 hits but in 90% of cases it being 3-4 hits to take you out. In some rare cases, against poorly angled hits or weak weapons, it was possible to tank 5 hits with mail. These are fairly reasonable numbers, and almost all factions (rhodoks, nords, sarranids) had access to powerful 1h weapons which could shred armour quite effectively. The snowball effect was not that dramatic, and even factions like vaegirs and swadia could win comfortably against armour if they just played to their strengths (archers and cavalry respectively). Crucially, mail armour meant taking 1-2 hits more than regular armour. In Bannerlord, the high tier armour grants 3-4 hits more than regular armour, which is why the snowballing "problem" has been made artificially in Bannerlord by virtue of how strong armour is. If the effect of armour was lessened, then any theoretical "snowballing problem" would cease to exist with the Warband gear system in Bannerlord. If only moderately better pieces of armour were affordable in competitive matches then the problem is gone. At the same time, those much better armour pieces could still exist at a far higher price which would only be affordable on siege, TDM or custom servers.

2) The maths suggests that it SHOULD be easier to balance a class system, but is it? Fundamentally, TW have failed to balance the system in Bannerlord - something which is caused in large part by trying to use the same classes for every mode - and the Warband system would actually be easier to balance. This is because there are not actually 8 variables as you suggest. What impact do gloves have? Or boots? Or the 4th weapon slot? These things do not make a major impact; in Warband, only the helmet, body armour and first 3 weapon slots (1h melee, shield, spear) really matter. In SP there is tiered armour and weapons, which would actually make balancing a Warband-style gear system for MP even easier. Just give each faction access to their tier 1-3 weapons and armour with their base gold and their tier 4-5 weapons and armour within upgrade range. I don't see how that is difficult to balance, particularly as you could just adjust individual weapon and armour values as necessary to fine-tune the balance - something which is more difficult to identify and deal with in a class system. Also, 6 perks for 8 classes = 48 items per faction + 1 armour value per class = 56 values that need balancing per faction (the true number is higher since there are starting weapon values too). Let's say we had the Warband system with 1-4 pieces of gear per slot (that were feasibly affordable in competitive, there could be more for casual modes), and we count the head, body and 3 weapon slots as important. That's 4 armour options for each slot, and let's say 4 weapon options for each slot - that's 20 important values that need balancing per class. x3 this number for the 3 classes (infantry, ranged, cavalry) and you arrive at 60 important values per faction, almost exactly the same number as there is for the Bannerlord system. The true number is higher including gloves, boots and a 4th weapon slot, but fundamentally these things are not that important to the gameplay. The difference is that this way, people get to customise and craft their builds, as well as develop their own metas, styles and habits, whereas a class system has very specific "good" and "bad" perks. If the gear items were marked according to their tier, as they are in SP, it would be even easier for newer players to understand and use the system as the tiers would serve as advice on which weapons and armour to use or upgrade to. Ultimately, I'd prefer an enhanced version of the Warband system, with multiple weapon types accessible to each faction (sort of like the Rhodok selection in MP), even though it would be harder to balance. Giving room for individual preference and style is important, even if it cannot be theoretically balanced as "perfectly" (although TW have failed at this) as a class system can be. MOBAs have hundreds of items and manage to facilitate individual preference alongside metas and sometimes broken builds - because that's the price you pay for customisation, individualism and variety.

3) This is irrelevant, it takes me ~5 seconds to select my gear in Warband (as you can see here) and it's the same for most competitive players that have decided what gear to take before the match is live. This problem could be solved with presets anyway, something which would let people craft their own "classes" and just select them when they load in.

4) You claim everyone was taking the same gear in Warband, but then state that uniformity is an advantage of Bannerlord's class system? If everyone was taking the same gear in Warband then didn't they all look the same? Literally contradicting yourself, at least regarding competitive play. Don't see how it's a problem for people in TDM or Siege to be wearing different gear based on how well they are doing, but that is an opinion I guess.

5) Adding the ability to create preset classes of your own alongside the Warband gear selection system also solves this problem, because it means that TW can add "default" classes that new players can pick that are viable. Default classes new players can play, but can freely customise each slot if they want, and the ability for players to make their own presets in the armoury, but can freely customise each slot in game if they want. This would solve any accessibility issue and would still give room for individuals to tailor their gear to be how they want it to be as they learnt what weapons and armour they liked to use and what they didn't like to use.

Of course neither is objectively "better", but I think there are more advantages to the Warband-style gear system than to the class system. To me, the class system feels bland and uninspired, copied from every other generic MP game on the market and with no individual flair. The Warband system was inspired by CS, sure, but it took it a step further with customisation for every armour and weapon slot, whereas the class system in Bannerlord looks like something straight out of Call of Duty. Even COD4 has more customisation options than Bannerlord. The Warband system was not perfect, but it was fairly unique and gave players the freedom to choose how they wanted to play. Enhancing and building on that system would, I think, have been far better than discarding it for a generic system.

• Prevents snowballing.
  • Ease of use.
  • Uniformity.

Again a list of perfectly reasonable points that an angry community will shout down without actually discussing.

Again a list of perfectly reasonable points that an angry community will shout down without actually discussing.

It never goes anywhere because A likes blue and B likes red, that's all you get. It's all facts looping around the same point "I like x" and it keeps going back and forth like this.

Also if something is simple and self evident it shouldn't need walls of text over and over, so how many of these threads are there gonna be with the same endless ****.

I feel that you don't seem to understand what snowballing is. Snowballing is when a winning team keeps increasing their advantage, in WB it was equipment wise, since the losing team never had a chance to catch up. In BL it's not the case, since both the winning team and the loser team can spawn 2 times as knight(and only two times, not several like you said) down along the match, similar situation was impossible in WB, exactly because the system allowed for hard snowballing. The swadians were infamous for that, because if you gave them at least one round they could all gear up in chainmail and tank their way to victory even against nords in close maps.

Like I said, it's all done with the intent for competitive gameplay in the future. Right now the competitive play is impossible because we don't have neither ranked matchmaking nor tournaments. Competitive gameplay is basically nonexistent right now. But once all of it will be in place, this feature will benefit us(the competitive community) greatly.

I'm glad that we agree at least on this one.

I don't think that's a concern for competitive play. Besides it might be mitigated with custom skins/banners.

Like I said, wait until we get ranked and/or tournaments.

1) Snowballing - exactly? If you win rounds with remaining gold or surviving men, you gain gold and so gain lives. You need extra gold to spawn as 2 death knights and you are far more likely to have that gold as a winner. You can gain a 3rd life as something useful on some factions as well e.g. Sturgia 2 Huscarl (140 each) and 1 Brigand (110 each). Further, as Deacon pointed out in his thread, in the WNL final a 2 round-advantage swadian team lost a round against default Vaegirs. Do you think they would have won if Swadian had 2-3 lives of armoured inf and cav, whilst their second life was peasant? How is this not snowballing? How is this not harder to defeat than a simple armour advantage but one life only, which good play or strategy negates by getting early picks?

2) It's all done with the intent of competitive gameplay yet their approach to the actual competitive aspect - combat - has been close to negligent, and so far precisely none of the competitive scene want to use their system and are planning on actively leaving it as soon as modding is possible.

you say after i spent 30 minutes writing a reply discussing each point :facepalm:
No Gibby - sorry to be fair your post was excellent. I don't 100% agree but I don't disagree. To be fair my entire point has not been that 1 system is better - more that this is the system we have and its not going to change.

It was more in response to;

lp2z7rv.png

However fair is fair - I apologise.

Snowballing remains an issue, particularly once one side is able to afford multiple lives as top tier troops. At this point, it becomes almost impossible for the team with weaker troops and equal lives to win against a competent team with the same number of lives but better troops.
That's not the case. Let's consider an example. My team loses a round. We spent all gold because we believed we could still make it, but now we enter 2nd round with the standard 300 gold and enemy has 390 at their disposal - not that big of an advantage, since if they pick the biggest and baddest heavy cav that usually costs 180+ they still can only pick it two times, meanwhile we can pick the same cav, but once and then a lighter troop. Consider we start losing the round again and decide to not use second lives and save up 90 gold for the next round. In the third round we are on equal footing with the enemy team at worst and have more gold at best because we managed to make them spawn 2 times in previous round and now they have less gold at their disposal than we do.

So we lost 2 times and gained a gold advantage in 3rd round due to smart management of our resources and now have a good chance for a comeback - a situation absolutely impossible in Warband, because if you lost 2 times in WB there's no way your team could even be equal in terms of equipment with the enemy team, not to speak about gaining an advantage in gold.

I think this example illustrates perfectly the problem with snowballing in WB that was solved in BL.

The maths suggests that it SHOULD be easier to balance a class system, but is it?
Yes it is, even by your calculations the total amount of variables is higher in Warband, and the number of combinations is order of magnitudes higher because you have to take into account that devs should also wrap their heads around what combinations of equip/perks we decide to use and how it affects balance. It's much easier when the number of combinations is lower.

This is irrelevant, it takes me ~5 seconds to select my gear in Warband
That only shows the skills you've developed over the years of playing WB. I believe I could try to race you to that, but in any case the fact that we had to spend time to develop this skill doesn't exactly prove the point about the ease of use irrelevant, since with the new system we don't need that skill at all - there's plenty of time to pick a class and two perks and even change your mind several times before the round starts, instead of rushing to pick all the 8 slots and risking messing something up the first 100 times you do it.

You claim everyone was taking the same gear in Warband, but then state that uniformity is an advantage of Bannerlord's class system? If everyone was taking the same gear in Warband then didn't they all look the same? Literally contradicting yourself, at least regarding competitive play.
There's no contradiction. Unformity in WB was enforced by players, not the system. The system allowed for whatever combination was available and we had to spend some time to teach new players the most efficient equip setup that you could fit in 1000 gold - this now is unnecessary with the new system. It just saves us time once again.

Adding the ability to create preset classes of your own alongside the Warband gear selection system also solves this problem
Yes, but it doesn't solve the other problems.

Of course neither is objectively "better", but I think there are more advantages to the Warband-style gear system than to the class system.
And you are free to have this opinion, but I politely disagree.

Snowballing - exactly? If you win rounds with remaining gold or surviving men, you gain gold and so gain lives. You need extra gold to spawn as 2 death knights and you are far more likely to have that gold as a winner. You can gain a 3rd life as something useful on some factions as well e.g. Sturgia 2 Huscarl (140 each) and 1 Brigand (110 each). Further, as Deacon pointed out in his thread, in the WNL final a 2 round-advantage swadian team lost a round against default Vaegirs. Do you think they would have won if Swadian had 2-3 lives of armoured inf and cav, whilst their second life was peasant? How is this not snowballing? How is this not harder to defeat than a simple armour advantage but one life only, which good play or strategy negates by getting early picks?
Consider the example I gave to Gibby above. Maybe that will make my argument clearer.

It's all done with the intent of competitive gameplay yet their approach to the actual competitive aspect - combat - has been close to negligent, and so far precisely none of the competitive scene want to use their system and are planning on actively leaving it as soon as modding is possible
Well, that's debatable, however you do have a point and I agree that I'd want to see the devs more involved with the competitive aspect, but we don't know what's going on behind the doors(because they don't tell us, heh) and maybe there are some troubles that prevented them from doing so to an extent we'd like to see. But in any case, that's a different topic, not exactly concerning the new system.

I don't understand why that means that the old class system in its core is flawed. The simple principle "you win = you get rewarded" exists in every competitive game. You're exaggerating the issue though. It has never worked that simple and teams got slaughtered having armor advantage very often.

I can't speak for archer classes or cavalry but for infs I don't see any options at all. If you play against a faction that has armor you can not pick a sword at all cus it doesn't have any damage. So one of your perks is reserved. Cavalry is so powerful you can not risk and take anything but spear for the second perk. So now you don't even have to think about your equipment really. I'm not even mentioning peasant inf classes because it's not a trade-off for speed like TW said, it's a choice between a class that can survive some hits and a useless one.

Back
Top Bottom