The Last Kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeboix

Grandmaster Knight
There is yet a teaser trailer for the TV show based on the Saxon Stories of Bernard Cornwell.

For sure som of you have read these great books from this great writer, and now this TV show will come to see if it can compete against the other big viking show of the moment... 'Vikings'.

Name: The Last Kingdom

Director: Nick Murphy

Release: 2015

synopsis: Set in the 9th century, the separate kingdoms which once made up England have fallen to the invading Vikings. Only the great Kingdom of Wessex – the last kingdom – stands defiant under its visionary King Alfred the Great. Against this turbulent backdrop, Uhtred, who loses his Saxon father in battle, is kidnapped by the Vikings and raised as one of their own. Forced to choose between the country of his birth and the people of his upbringing, his loyalties are ever tested. Is he Saxon or Viking?

Cast: Alexander Dreymon (American Horror Story), Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner), David Dawson (Ripper Street), Emily Cox (The Silent Mountain), Matthew Macfadyen (Anna Karenina), Ian Hart (Boardwalk Empire) y Rune Temte (Ulykken).

There is a website for this series now, but I can't view the videos for some reason. It's coming out in October this year.

And someone took some screenshots from a BBC promo for this show and others.

I don't think that's how a shield wall would have looked, but I don't claim to be an expert. Looks kind of cool. Those guys running at it are supposed to be the Northumbrians' fyrd I think.

cbq8Ay7.png

dshHN3C.png

Urgrevling said:

Huh. So they took the term 'shieldwall' literally I guess.  Didn't vikings do a similar thing in the very first episode?

Probably because they are going for "cool and trendy" rather than right.

Though saying that, what's the discrepancies between the show, the books and history? Does the show seem to be faithful to what was written in the books? Or is it throwing both out the window?

Vieira said:
Probably because they are going for "cool and trendy" rather than right.

Though saying that, what's the discrepancies between the show, the books and history? Does the show seem to be faithful to what was written in the books? Or is it throwing both out the window?

The books are historically accurate and it seems like the show will not.

Urgrevling said:
In a later episode IIRC, but very similar. Funny, it's the first thing that came up when I googled "shieldwall".

History_Vikings_Shield_Wall_REV_SF_HD_still_624x352.jpg

I guess we know how they're doing their research :lol:.

VIKINGS! SHIELDPILE!

AYE!

*CLANK CLANK CLANK* HURRRPH!

The costumes I've seen from the trailer are the usual recycled stuff from various places. BBC costume dept. does probably have proper stuff, but I guess using them ... costs more money? isn't as cool? recognisable?

Why are they so colourful? This is the Dark Age! Brown, here you go!

Back
Top Bottom