How do you avoid/minimize severe weather damaging your ships?

Users who are viewing this thread

abadgaem

Veteran
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I stick to coastlines or sail by day, I keep getting ship damaged messages like every couple in-game miles traveled.  It's way too annoying and incredibly expensive to repair... so how are you supposed to manage it?

would appreciate this info too. My only solution is just to raid a merchant convoy every time i set sail to ensure my two ships get repaired. Only gunna get worse once i get a third.

I've got 3 90 man ships and 5 50 man ships. You think your repair costs are bad lol? I have 3 villages and the combined 12000 income doesn't cover half my repair costs in a week lol and that's without factoring in battle damage and wages and supplies and promotions.

It's actually quite fun trying to juggle it all but I'm about to take a city which should help. I hope.

It's OP as hell and very unrealistic too. What is it, permanent stormy weather season? A chance of it happening once a week would be fair gameplay wise (even if it is a bit too much irl). But it happening virtually every single day - sometimes multiple times a day - is way too much and needs balancing. Muh silver hurts :/

Yeah I have the same issue too in SP... My solution was to raid at least 2 ships every time I set sail, and generally try to get more fiefs on land to cover the costs. :sad:
I really hate how, when your ship is destroyed, you magically lose all the men on it (despite the fact that you were travelling together and could have easily turned back to save at least some of those men), and how it's just a note in the chat box - no proper notification panel to inform you that YOU JUST LOST HALF OF YOUR MEN  :mrgreen:

Every day? I've had it at most twice in a week and that was deep sea crossings lol.

Sound like you all have bad luck when I have more ships then all 3 of you combined and get it far far less, sadly the price increase is horrendous with big ships so it still costs a fortune.
Even minor damage costs you the wages of an army for a week.

I guess you're not supposed to sail when the weather is severe.

But since the only information you get about the weather is a short message if it changes while you happen to be sailing, it's hard to know when it's safe to sail or not.
I hope a patch can add some kind of indicator of the current weather.

There's not enough information readily or easily available for it not to feel completely random.

Navigation or Sea King needs a secondary use; weather prediction and forecast ability. Just a basic "A storm is brewing to the north" or "Severe western winds expected" and you can decide whether or not crossing the channel is a good move.

Also, troops drowning, and even ships lost, in true stormy weather, avoidable by the above. See Vikings. :wink:

Loads of possibilities to make sea faring, which I feel is a very large part of the entire dlc, a little more than driving an object willy-nilly across the water portion and seeing generated landing points behind you.

Daergarz said:
There's not enough information readily or easily available for it not to feel completely random.

Navigation or Sea King needs a secondary use; weather prediction and forecast ability. Just a basic "A storm is brewing to the north" or "Severe western winds expected" and you can decide whether or not crossing the channel is a good move.

Also, troops drowning, and even ships lost, in true stormy weather, avoidable by the above. See Vikings. :wink:

Loads of possibilities to make sea faring, which I feel is a very large part of the entire dlc, a little more than driving an object willy-nilly across the water portion and seeing generated landing points behind you.

Good ideas here, I agree.

Tsar said:
It's OP as hell and very unrealistic too. What is it, permanent stormy weather season? A chance of it happening once a week would be fair gameplay wise (even if it is a bit too much irl). But it happening virtually every single day - sometimes multiple times a day - is way too much and needs balancing. Muh silver hurts :/

This has other effects as well. Any mission that requires travel by sea devalues the gold reward at the end just due to the nature of the trips. None of the missions are balanced for this and are really only viable when you can travel over land. If they let you capture ships and sell them (or strip for repairs) it would give more options for staying afloat other than owning 12 cities worth of weekly income.

All the random storyline quest send me all the way to bloody Ireland which costs 1000 penings in repairs each time. Your ship gets damaged far too much. Even if it was balanced and i could sail close to land to minimize the damage and during the day.

In order to do that, i would have to land and camp every night. Which is a trek firsthand and second of all the horrible map FPS is constantly wasting my time and making boat travel and fast travel slower than just walking on foot.

Phaiak said:
One way is to use ships made from oak wood. And winter is no good season for seatravel in the north sea. Many storms...
I haven't bought a ship yet, mostly because I can't even find a viable way to get soldiers yet (Sandbox campaigner), so enlighten me: Can you buy a ship specifically made of Oakwood?

Is there any way to see what condition the ship is at while on the travel? Or can you only check that while in ports?

There are way too few options and information while being on a sea travel, in fact, there isn't any.
At very least there should be an explanation on each weather type and its effects. I assumed that strong breeze does not damage ships, but apparently it does.
And there needs to be a way to check what the current weather is, cause if there is a storm and I stop to wait for it to pass, there is no way to see conditions over sea while being on land.

I like the idea about the weather forecast as well in some later update. Maybe, the more pagan priests you have with you, the better you can predict it?  :lol:

Phaiak said:
One way is to use ships made from oak wood. And winter is no good season for seatravel in the north sea. Many storms...

I find the season changes about twice a month. Strange place those norse lands.

Sea Dogs 2 had this cool feature where if you were grabbed by a storm you would enter ship camera and have to run away from thunder and twisters. Something like that might be nice.

I agree with OP - it happens to me almost daily. Just got "severe weather" damage in Light Breeze in March. Pretty annoying.

I ignore it.  I'm constantly sailing back and forth between the isles and Denmark and Norway dumping loot and recruiting new soldiers, pretty much once a week or more.  Of all my expenses (food, soldier pay etc) repairing the boats is the most trivial.  Granted I only have oak boats so they don't take much damage.

I'd prefer if they had more predictability and effect.  As it is now they're completely unpredictable but the effect is ignorable.

Back
Top Bottom