Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a "middle" can be sorted out ?
Increased (not much) initial running speed (not sprint) but inputted values for speed (agility, weight, strentgh you were talking about).
Could that be balanced out ?

momcilo94 said:
bjarked said:
what is the big problem with running? i can't really see why you would not like it, it adds

more realistic feel (because in realty you are able to run)

it make light units more effective at being light units( you can use it to out flak and run away again)

it will add special attacks like shield bash and make spear more effective(preventing the opponent to charge you)

it makes it easier for modders to make things like ninjas, monsters, magics, magic equipment, superpowers and other things were you need some one to faster then some on else.

Note this was not to say that i'm am right and you are wrong I really can't see the problems with it and only wont to know what they are so that i can address it and may bee find a why to solve that problem.

Because what works in reality often won't work in a video game and will create the opposite feeling from realism.

In case of sprinting, a good example of this is Call of Duty. Since people don't fear death as they do in real life, they are often prone to charging into combat and almost certain death which they do with sprinting. This results in something I would call unrealistic and immersion ruining since you see people running around and shooting like they're the next gen version of Rambo.

In Bannerlord, you would see the same thing but with swords, people running around and slashing and stuff.

Here's a quote from a guy called AjBlue who posted something about this in a comment section in PC Gamer.

I have a problem with sprint in games. I firmly believe that multiplayer game could benefit from the lack of sprint. Halo used to have this, rainbow6vegas1 had this. Just logistically thinking, if you are an elite fighting squad, you aren't going to be running very often if at all. You are going to have your gun up, ready to shoot someone around every corner. From a gameplay standpoint, you force teams to work together, because they can't run off. A good compliment in rainbow6vegas1 was how you could customize your armor to mobility ratio, the more armor you were, the slower you were(like a walking pace) and if you wore less-no armor, your character would move at a constant jogging pace.

I've actually grown sick of playing call of duty, I can't last 30minutes before turning the console off. You spawn immediately click, in the left thumbstick, for about 15 seconds until you see someone, you shoot them, 50-50 chance you kill them, you die at about the same rate you get kills, making respawning and running take up about 80% of the gameplay. Rinse and repeat gameplay. I prefer slower games that allow for the option of strategy, and teamwork.

Bottom line, it's an immersion breaker. And without it the game feels more tactical since you gota think where you are going because you won't have an easy escape from the situation you're going to end up in.

I think sprinting isn't the culprit here, there are different ways to implement sprinting and they will vary depending on existing context...
You (and this guy) don't like COD design choices, what about ARMA? I don't see you complaining about sprint there. I don't think you're right to base your opinion upon existing implementations, so selectively. Do you have a problem with sprint in Chivalry?

Besides, I'd like to add that in competitive COD you don't sprint at all. Everyone hears you coming from miles away and you die at first encounter. Don't bash the mechanic  from the misuse of people. It is valid.

coo_snake said:
I think sprinting isn't the culprit here, there are different ways to implement sprinting and they will vary depending on existing context...
You (and this guy) don't like COD design choices, what about ARMA? I don't see you complaining about sprint there. I don't think you're right to base your opinion upon existing implementations, so selectively. Do you have a problem with sprint in Chivalry?

Besides, I'd like to add that in competitive COD you don't sprint at all. Everyone hears you coming from miles away and you die at first encounter. Don't bash the mechanic  from the misuse of people. It is valid.

If a mechanic in a game can be misused it should be fixed. I didn't say it should be completely cut out, but if  you gotta put it in do it properly. That's why I said disable sprinting when you approach in a radius of 5 meters of your enemy or implement a stamina bar like others said. But imo, that stamina bar should be tied to attacking. That way it would be used for getting from point A to B faster, and not for Rambo-ing.

And you can't ruin something for pubs, just cuz competitive players won't misuse the mechanics.

Running faster should be like using a lance on horseback when you press "X" button. It must be limited and with restriction so the people will use it in special moments like when you are close to your enemy for a stronger charge or when a horseman is trying to lance your chest for example.

momcilo94 said:
used for getting from point A to B faster, and not for Rambo-ing.
Then forget about this mechanic at all. We already have this in Warband.
Just hold W while on foot, and you'll start sprinting after 2 seconds, which is cancelled by blocking, attacking, or strafing.

The only reason to make any change at the moment would be for a heavy attack mechanic.
Sprint+Attack=High Momentum Swing, with obvious drawback of bad maneuverability.
You do your heavy swing, and suddenly you have to lose your forward momentum before strafing, or fall over, like in real life.

If we're not talking about another sprinting being added, I'd like the regular one to be heavily buffed, please. "Sprinting" for two minutes only to get to the walls which I'm meant to be besieging only to be shot down by a camping archer is not something I like going through. (*cough* selectable spawn points à la Battlefield, please *cough*)

The only way I see this sprint mechanic working (for the multiplayer scene) is having a small speed bonus when you sheathe your weapon. In fact the bonus could be inversely proportional to your armor weight. Without any trade-off it wouldn't add anything to the game tactically, because of the reasons stated before:
Lord Rich said:
Also multiplayer doesn't have any formations that need shield bashing.
Rallix said:
We already have this in Warband.
Just hold W while on foot, and you'll start sprinting after 2 seconds, which is cancelled by blocking, attacking, or strafing.

If we have a toggle with no stamina, people will just keep it on "sprint", resulting in zany arcade madness. The current movement speed seems like a good pace to me.

If we have a greater maximum run speed after a long acceleration, a team which a single cavalry player can stop the enemy infantry from ever reaching high speed, while the first team can run (in a group) from one enemy to the next without a problem, or disperse from the enemy as a team of archers and pick them off without any resistance.

If we have a stamina system, attacking a group will always result in a hopeless piggy in the middle situation and teams will play the "wear down the enemy with as little effort as possible" game, resulting in long boring rounds, where the most depraved players usually win.

Sprint is not really problematic in shooters, because you can shoot someone from any distance, but in M&B, there is a focus on being in roughly the same place as the enemy, so it's not viable.

I remember in mount and blade beta, that they had weight encumbrance. Heavy foot moved slower, light foot moved faster. everyone still sprinted at the same times but a little slower for some. All it lead to was archers wearing light armor running ahead of Knights jumping, spinning around, and shooting. Then continuing on their marry way to rinse and repeat. We went through a lot of rounds where the melee had crushed the enemy with 5 players left chasing one archer, to be slaughtered by our inability to keep up. They took that out because it was unfair to all in the end. They even made youtube videos where one guy would take out 10 while naked with a bow.

I like the current system it works, people can catch each other. Does it take a long time to get somewhere ? yes, but I think this could be changed by advancing spawn points like rush mode in battle field. But at the same time it does give the game a medieval feel, as waves of players running from the spawn have to fight back the invaders who have pushed them off the battlements or out of a gate house.

The heavy attack dash would be kinda interesting and could simple be a timer or stam bar, but that would make it a lot like Chivalry and its waiting for your next head basher attack to be ready, then running in once to run away again. Mount and Blade to me, is that constant press of shield to shield or the dance of 2handed swords, not a 1 spam attack <although feet choppers and loli chopters are close -_- >

Maltise said:
The heavy attack dash would be kinda interesting and could simple be a timer or stam bar, but that would make it a lot like Chivalry and its waiting for your next head basher attack to be ready, then running in once to run away again. Mount and Blade to me, is that constant press of shield to shield or the dance of 2handed swords, not a 1 spam attack <although feet choppers and loli chopters are close -_- >
I already explained how this would not be the case.
To do the heavy attack, you need to commit a lot of momentum forward. You're now in reach of the enemy and your footwork is predictable for as long as it takes to slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom