ZandMod I: Troop trees, tweaks and tints [DOWNLOAD QUICKFIX - 2008-12-13]

Should I make my mini-mod available to download when it's done?

• Yes, please.

Votes: 134 75.7%
  • No, thanks - save your energy.

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • Dunno, dude.

Votes: 28 15.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Sinan said:
I'm looking forward to it.

Point of order dude: Khergits are not at all barbarians, in the military tactics and technology sense.
They are modeled on the Mongols who ruled the largest land empire EVER seen to this date.

Haha - sorry, I was just teasing.
I'm going to treat all factions with lots of respect, and I'm already all eager and happy about how the Khergits are are starting to look. They've got some of the most awesome equipment in the game, and I'll do my best to make 'em kick butt the way they're supposed to.

Another update:

More testing, and everything's looking fine so far.
Included (almost) all the tweaks I was supposed to, and the changes seem to be running smoothly: I can go straight to village elders from the village menus, I can sell my prisoners for a reasonable price, I can bet a little more at the arena, etc.

I've also fine-tuned the few new items I've included, but I haven't given them to troops, so nobody should expect being stabbed by a melee javelin yet.

Slaad:
I can already calm you a little bit regarding the Khergits.
I was doing some testing yesterday, and I was riding to help King Yargolek against some Khergit Lord. Very even numbers - 210 against 225 or something - and the Khergits came out on top of that fight. I think I got knocked out in the second wave or something, by one of my own new units.
I experienced a strange mix of pride and frustration: in the same frame, my character's twisted, bloody, unconscious body and also a beautiful, badass, sabre-wielding troop that I've created.  :???:

Khergits are no pushovers now, that's for sure.

Of course it depends on strategy you take.
I suggest you play a little Luigi's 'Medieval Dukes and Mercenaries' mod and see what happens when good armed soldier wields high damage
pike/halberd (which he also could swing, i understand you also planning to add this feature on many weps). Poor cavalry gets so owned.
I didn;t expect making spears swingable and upping pierce damage on them would make such drastic change.

Halcyon said:
Ill remind you that there has to be quite some balance between the factions.

Thanks - but that's a conclusion I've managed to reach on my own as well. Relatively obvious, isn't it?

So far, I've rebuilt all the factions around a more mathematical balance, but I have really no idea how balanced they REALLY are. Only way to find out for sure, is to play for a while as a mercenary an see what happens. If, at day 20, the Swadians have annihilated all the other factions... I'd say there's a good chance that the Swadians are too powerful.

I probably won't test the first version for balance for too long... I'd rather get it out there and get some feedback from other players (and hope that most of them will be more thorough than "U suck").

Sinan said:

Point of order dude: Khergits are not at all barbarians, in the military tactics and technology sense.
They are modeled on the Mongols who ruled the largest land empire EVER seen to this date.

Actualy,the British empire controlled roughly two million more square miles than the Mongol empire.

Jackamo said:
Sinan said:

Actualy,the British empire controlled roughly two million more square miles than the Mongol empire.

Yes, you're right. Ofc you know the point I was making. Thx for the correction. :smile:

Update:

I've given the Vaegir Lords new equipment, but I won't continue doing this for the other lords just yet: after I decided to use items from the OSP, I'm just going to have to do it all over again for version II, so... I'll just wait.

Oh, and I could use some feedback about Thorgrim's Map Editor for 1.011

I'm also having a really hard time with the naming of troops - it's actually one of the most challenging aspects of my Mini-Mod to this point.

Halcyon said:
for the rhodok line i suggest changing deadshot, to sniper.

I agree, although I had hoped to reserve "sniper" for some bandit faction: it sounds so... mean.

its not very accurate, but its sounds a little funny, somewhat deadly and more bandit like. trap shooter. more lame maybe for a lower tier: shooter. and another funny one i suppose: crack shot (personally i dont really think it fits, but its something you may be able to use)

UPDATE:

Sorry it's taking so long - life has gotten in the way.
Also, I've stumbled across a couple of annoying errors that had to be addressed so that you, the players, won't have to struggle with them. Each time I've been ready to release the mod, something new has popped up - but now I think I'm ready.

Expect to see it in just a few days.

mightywolve said:
The Troop trees looks Great!  :grin:

I hope you will put lots of new stuff in it!

You've my support  :wink:

Thank you!

I hope you like it, and yeah - there will be more stuff.
ZandMod II will feature more armors, weapons and horses - some of them made by me, lots more from the OSP. It think it'll be quite cool.

Congratulations with your first release Zandman!

Here is a little feedback.
Color scheme on troops looks excellent.
Equipment: it's kinda weird ya gave bunch of polearms pierce damage on swing. How on earth ya can pierce swinging a pitchfork?
Also, you do realize ya made awlpike the ultimate weapon of the game? (Aside from common sense one must remember pierce damage
is enormously superior in this game). Many weps having now high swing  /low thrust damage and vice versa also poses certain problems because NPC dont seem to distinguish what type of attack is better; situation when they will try to thrust with an axe will be very common.
Suggestions for next release:
remove/decrease 'junk' equipment which is useless
Talak's/OSP items would rock
NPC parties be bigger and more dangerous
Would be nice if you put in some new companions :smile:

Thank you and I really appreciate the feedback, Slaad!

Pierce damage on swing? Damn... that wasn't meant to be there at all. Sometimes, if you don't watch closely, it seems Item Editor will screw some things up and switch pierce for bash (among other things). All polearms should have bashing damage. I'll look into it, and probably release a patch or an entirely new mod version, if necessary.
Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention.

I see your problem with the low thrust damage and the axe thing and all, but I've tested it thoroughly now, and I personally think it works.
Here's why I believe so:
* It adds "realism". In a fight, everything isn't clean and nice. You're stressed out, things get messy, and you don't always use your weapon in an optimal way. Sometimes you swing clumsily with your spear, sometimes you stab with an axe.
* I just don't like that the game tells me I CAN'T make a stabbing motion with an axe. I can. I'm actually doing it right now.
* Lower damage on stabbing is because you really can't stab as hard as you swing. So unless it's a stabbing weapon per se, it's going to be less effective.
* Attack variation. My ultimate test here was the Sea Raiders. Would they still be as dangerous when they, as you say, don't know what's the most effective attack and occasionally stab with their axes? Yes. Absolutely. Normally, they suffer a slight penalty in close quarters combat because of the axe speed, but now you can e.g. see a Sea Raider getting close, knocking his opponent back with the axe and then chopping him down like a sick branch. They're just as effective as before... and less predictable.
* ... but all of this is just my personal opinion.  :cool:

And now I have to go fix some weapons stats...
[EDIT]
...and I'm done! New item_kinds1.txt file can be found HERE

Looking forward to hearing more about the new troops and how they're working out.

Gerin said:
Swadian Master Knights aren't mounted.  Please fix, thanks.  :smile:

Damn. Unbelievable.
I didn't pick up on this mistake because I actually didn't have any Swadian Master Knight in my party while I was testing - in fact, I didn't even see one.
This is almost as embarrassing as forgetting to give a horse to my "Camp Rider" unit.  :roll:

Will be fixed as soon as I get home from work today.

By the way Zandman, you may want to ask adding your mod to 'mod listing' topic so people would know about it :smile:

Back
Top Bottom