Votes: 254 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 289 42.6%
  • Wrong answer

Votes: 135 19.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

sneakey pete said:
Doubt the turbo's are computer controlled.

This. Turbos are pretty simple in how they're controlled, actually. No need for computer control. Fuel injection on the other hand would be computer controlled...
However, the '85 Biturbo is a parallel turbo and carbureted. Juicy.

Tibertus said:
sneakey pete said:

This. Turbos are pretty simple in how they're controlled, actually. No need for computer control. Fuel injection on the other hand would be computer controlled...
And I say you both are wrong. First, these turbos are sequential. One of them starts at 2500RPM and the other at 4000-4500. Second, they are simple themselves but present a few challenges by blowing through carburator. And that combination makes a very unstable system. Thus Maserati developed Maserati Automatic Boost Control (which I believe is a fancy name for basically a PID controller) to handle airflow.

It happened to be the first serial biturboed vehicle ever. The technology was experimental at the time. They started with 150hp 2.0L normally aspirated engine but felt it was not enough for modern sport coupe. So they ordered some japanese turbos to play around. And they reached 180hp with 0.8bar of boost. Which was topmost hp to engine capacity ratio on the market. Mine had 185hp in stock, previous owner claimed 250hp and I measured 230hp. So I assume there were some tweaks applied.
I've read that it is possible to get another 50 horsies by replacing the boost valve that would increase the limit to 1.0bar (the stock limits to 0.8bar). But it was about fuel injected model where computer firmware was reverse engineered to confirm it would support this mode.

I have a spare 2.8L fuel injected engine from 1990 model though. But I'd prefer to keep this car stock unless I blow up the original engine.

Cool.

As for engine swap, don't do it unless you have the time to **** it up a few times. :wink:

Clutch works now, after three hours of bleeding. Vacuum leak, assembly, test drive, oil change and diagnosis, and then either swap the engine out or get ready to drive more.

Invictus said:
Tibertus said:
sneakey pete said:

And I say you both are wrong. First, these turbos are sequential. One of them starts at 2500RPM and the other at 4000-4500. Second, they are simple themselves but present a few challenges by blowing through carburator. And that combination makes a very unstable system. Thus Maserati developed Maserati Automatic Boost Control (which I believe is a fancy name for basically a PID controller) to handle airflow.

Everything I'm reading says parallel sorry, so I don't know, unless you have a weird aftermarket set up. One turbo for each bank of 3 cylinders. Makes the most sense for a v6 too. Are the turbos variable geo? It could for instance, have two vane profiles for two set ranges of RPMs, which would need computer controlling.

You could of course just pop the hood and show us.  :wink:
image.png

Edit: So, finally got everything squared away. The spoiler is properly bolted down, and I made brackets to hold the hardtop down, and I got it all weather sealed. Window seals seat nicely, and the top seal sits nice and snug when the top is bolted down. Very little wind noise with the windows all rolled up. All in all, great success. Also, I pealed off most of the plasti dip. It was annoying me. I just left some on the front bumper and side skirts for protection.

20150222_164932_zpsy6bdmelc.jpg

20150222_164914_zpsm7xtw8bm.jpg

20150222_164835_zps041snjbb.jpg

20150222_164807_zpswnisorh6.jpg

Great looking stuff Tibertus. Thanks for the advice by the way. I still have a soft spot for the PRHT myself, but if they can't bring the price where I want it, I'm going to wait and just buy a soft-top ND.

The ND is a great looking car in it's stock form. I gotta be honest and say stock NCs just don't really look very good. They look like jelly beans with smiley faces. Once they're lowered a bit, they look much better, but definitely not as nice as the ND. And as far as getting a new NC. I would just wait til the ND comes out no matter what. Either you can buy a new ND, or you can buy a new NC on clearance, or a really cheap low mileage used one from someone upgrading to the ND.

Well my dealer here had the GT NC with Hard Top and Premium package for 30K which is about 10% off MSRP and considering the current stock, a pretty good deal. But, if they're not willing to lower it a little more I'll just wait...

Tibertus said:
miata_1.jpeg

That's the new one. I don't think it looks like a jelly bean any more.  :roll:

I like both. For me the NC looks kind of like a modern, smoothed out Spitfire which I like. The new one is like a slightly less fierce, smaller, F-Type.

The new one looks like only queers would drive it. Rather than the older ones which were for queers and women.

Back
Top Bottom