Ynys Manaw

Users who are viewing this thread

Aethel

Sergeant at Arms
So, I've got this great plan where I'm gonna take a big Saxon army and smash the Ynys Manaw kingdom, and turn it into a new Germanic kingdom,
but what should I call it? What do you think the Germans would have called the Island?

And also, is it possible to repopulate villages/towns? Like change the culture from, say, Briton to Saxon?

Bede calls it and Anglesey the "Mevanian Isles". Actually, during the reign of Edwin of Northumbria the Isle of Mann paid tribute to the Northumbrian king. Mevania or Menavia would work. In Old Norse it is known as Mon.

Some amateurish suggestions :razz:
Maney (island of Man, conforming to the same form as Seals-ey) or perhaps Westigland (western island-land). Or simply, Man? ^^

Well, I already chose a different name (I couldn't wait for replies  :mrgreen: )- Enwara, like Cantwara, and using the first element of my character's first name, En.
I figured they would glorify their great founding leader.

Spongly said:
Bede calls it and Anglesey the "Mevanian Isles". Actually, during the reign of Edwin of Northumbria the Isle of Mann paid tribute to the Northumbrian king. Mevania or Menavia would work. In Old Norse it is known as Mon.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, considering Bede was a medieval scholar, he probably used old traditional Latin or based-off-Latin names...
He probably read from old Latin writings.
Julius Caesar actually named Mann as Monapia, Mevania, etc.
Now, big Germanic warlords hungry for new places to call home? I don't think they care what the Romans called it or anyone else.  :wink:
The Vikings called it Mon, because, by then the Migration period was over, and the Vikings weren't looking to totally wipe out native populations.
The Anglo-Saxons had a huge taste for genocide as they wiped out entire cities of Britons.
And when looking at how they completely renamed the Isle of Wight, I'm thinking they'd rename it.

aurgelmir said:
Some amateurish suggestions :razz:
Maney (island of Man, conforming to the same form as Seals-ey) or perhaps Westigland (western island-land). Or simply, Man? ^^
:mrgreen: You went with the same method as me - use the form of some other name, like Cantwara or Seals-y.
I think you might have something there with the Westigaland.  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom