Would competitive be better with customizable clan loadouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

momcilo94

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Imagine that instead of having to switch between different factions during a competitive match, you were given an option to bring your own custom faction into a match. Public play could  still retain different factions, but as a player you would be given the option to "Create a clan." Then you would be able to pick and customize the banner and the name of your clan, assign a rank structure and the gear that your men in your clan would spawn with during battles. You could either be auto assigned to other custom clans via matchmaking or be able to schedule a clan war in-game. Basically something similar to what Merc mod clan wars are now but a bit different. This would come with different pros and cons and I would like to hear your opinions on how it would impact competitive. I personally think that it would bring:

- More customization and personalisation.
- Less time spent on drops, more time for real tactics.
- More focus put on player skill and teamwork and less on advantages and disadvantages of certain pairings of factions and maps.

While I dont like to be put to play as factions that I dont like, I am afraid that allowing us to have our own characters (like in mercs) will pretty much lead to people using the same **** all the time. A meta will be formed on very specific things and it will kill the variety of the faction-based battles. Of course, you can't know unless you test it. The best way to do this is to perfectly balance the game which in most times is very hard to do.

Vincent XI said:
578 said:
While I dont like to be put to play as factions that I dont like

Everything but Sturgia?

Because I played Bannerlord, right? I meant Warband. In particular I hate rhodoks and sarranids to play as. But yes, my favourite faction should be Sturgia, because axes and shiet.

578 said:
While I dont like to be put to play as factions that I dont like, I am afraid that allowing us to have our own characters (like in mercs) will pretty much lead to people using the same **** all the time. A meta will be formed on very specific things and it will kill the variety of the faction-based battles. Of course, you can't know unless you test it. The best way to do this is to perfectly balance the game which in most times is very hard to do.

I see your point but there's also specific meta on a lot of things in current competitive. Some factions are expected to win certain maps, and specific gear is also expected to be picked if you want optimal performance. Customisation would also bring variety in it's own way as people would focus on improving their own styles rather than having to deal with disadvantages of their current faction.

Momchilo said:
578 said:

I see your point but there's also specific meta on a lot of things in current competitive. Some factions are expected to win certain maps, and specific gear is also expected to be picked if you want optimal performance. Customisation would also bring variety in it's own way as people would focus on improving their own styles rather than having to deal with disadvantages of their current faction.

I usually see both the bad and good side of things, hence why I mentioned both above. But I, too, flirt with the idea of a character build in multiplayer instead of giving me class presets based on factions. I dont know how it would work, would it be a system where you spend points on stats and gear? Preset stats and simply gear changes them? I am not sure. But I feel like I prefer it, it creates a very personal style of builds that can be put to practice at any given time and mode. Mordhau, a new game coming out has this kind of system and it's lovely. You can customize each of preset classes (in our case, faction warriors) with whatever you want when it comes to gear and appearance. You can see how it works in depth on youtube.

578 said:
Momchilo said:
578 said:

I usually see both the bad and good side of things, hence why I mentioned both above. But I, too, flirt with the idea of a character build in multiplayer instead of giving me class presets based on factions. I dont know how it would work, would it be a system where you spend points on stats and gear? Preset stats and simply gear changes them? I am not sure. But I feel like I prefer it, it creates a very personal style of builds that can be put to practice at any given time and mode. Mordhau, a new game coming out has this kind of system and it's lovely. You can customize each of preset classes (in our case, faction warriors) with whatever you want when it comes to gear and appearance. You can see how it works in depth on youtube.

Hmm stats customization would be awesome if done right but I think it would require too much work. Maybe just pick the faction origin for your base stats and then customize the gear. Imagine if they could also bring the weapon customization from singleplayer into  mp, that would be amazing.

I wonder if the class presets for factions in multiplayer will be a thing throughout the whole multiplayer. Maybe they will still have a vague class that we can customise with a lot of different gear.

AmateurHetman said:
I wonder if the class presets for factions in multiplayer will be a thing throughout the whole multiplayer. Maybe they will still have a vague class that we can customise with a lot of different gear.

I think the best idea for me personally has been given above by Momchilo. Choose the origins of your character (what nation he represents) get the basic stats of the class you want from that faction and then build however you like. It would be interesting to see what the pro players think of this.

I think customizable gear would be fun for those matches that you can mess around with. However, in general, I think it would be better to let people adjust to the factions default loadout.

Back
Top Bottom