Workshops after patch

Users who are viewing this thread

has anyone been able to make a significant amount of money from workshops after the patch? mine only seem to make about 80 per day (have tried silversmiths, wood, smithy and tanner)

I was doing ok, then the last patch cut the profits in half. My smitty was up to almost 300 per day, now it is between 100 and 150. It took a while to build up to the 300 too. The carpentry shop was never a big earner and I am lucky if it makes 50 a day. With profits like these enterprises are not worth owning. By the time you break even one of the empires will have taken over the whole map.

I'm not sure that the meager information currently provided in clan window is accurately telling us how the workshops (and caravans, for that matter) are performing. I had some wood workshops (left over from a couple patches ago when wood was OP lol), and decided to change some over to something that made sense for those cities & supporting villages' raw products. Two became oil, another went wine, while one stayed wood. The numbers in the clan report seemed to show they weren't doing very much (either before or after the switch), but my daily income rose pretty dramatically. Before, 4 shops + 2 caravans had barely covered party wages. Suddenly started clearing 2000-4000 per day.

In the absence of detailed info (there's nothing at all on caravan profit/loss), I can't conclusively state where the big increase came from, but the workshop switch was the only recent change I had made. And it didn't happen to coincide with the daily patch either.

Not a huge issue demanding immediate attention, but as time goes on and Bannerlord gets more fully fleshed out, I hope they implement some more reports like Warband's. Not just on budget like this, but morale, lord/faction relations, etc.

(EDIT: disregard above. Finally stumbled across the mouse-over tooltip that itemizes shops/caravan profits/wages better than the clan window. Yeah, most of my surplus is coming from caravans. I guess their increased profitability and my workshop switch was somehow just coincidental.)

Last edited:
For me the workshops earn way less than caravans. Caravans sometimes earn me 1000+ per day (net), while workshops barely break 100. And I have workshops that make sense for those cities.

We honestly need more input from the game.
A weekly report or something describing as to why a workshop performed how it performed. "Input material cost" - "Products sold for" - "Missing Input" .. bonus points if the game could declare something like "too many robbers"/"raided villages" ... . So far workshops are simply a blackbox for everyone.

Are the villages resources actually random? Anyone took a look already?

Look at the citys production and build something that use a material that is locally produced and you will see more profits. And it seems killing off looters, bandits and such also improves the economy.

You cannot just invest in random and expect it to generate a lot of wealth.

Have they removed the cap on 200 g/day for workshops they implemented in one of the first patches yet? If not, caravans are still the way to go as you'll be able to make a lot more than what you can possibly make with workshops until that cap gets removed.

So far I've had the most luck with brewery and smith workshops. The higher quality goods such as velvet, silver, and even wool workshops seem to do rather poorly.

Have they removed the cap on 200 g/day for workshops they implemented in one of the first patches yet? If not, caravans are still the way to go as you'll be able to make a lot more than what you can possibly make with workshops until that cap gets removed.

So far I've had the most luck with brewery and smith workshops. The higher quality goods such as velvet, silver, and even wool workshops seem to do rather poorly.
Yes, they removed the cap in patch 1.0.3. The workshops seem to have been adjusted somewhat to fall in line at 150-200 denar per day or so.. which is what I think they want them to soft cap at eventually. You can still get a workshop that will have that amazing day and net you 1k or so, but for the most part the workshops don't really fly over 200/day now.

My brewery is making 300-400 per day which I think is worth it. It's in Zeonica which had two grain settlements and the surrounding towns have a lot of grain as well. Beer is over 100 gold in the region.

Cap is removed. I have a Pottery shop that pulls 300-600/day.

As far as picking an industry and city goes, look at the bound villages but also at nearby castle villages *and* what the actual stock levels of goods are in the market.

All the basic goods get produced by villages and physically hauled by villagers to the nearest town, since castles don't have markets. So a town could be getting goods from a very far-off castle village. Villagers *will* sell to towns of different factions so long as they're at peace, too.

Additionally, all villages seem to produce and sell grain to cities for food purposes in addition to their primary product. This is probably why Breweries do well pretty much everywhere.

So basically make sure that the input product is cheap, and that it has enough incoming supply to stay cheap.

Does it matter where you start a caravan?

My workshops are in ideal locations... theoretically. 13K to 15K for a chance to earn 50 gold a day seem more like gambling with really long odds. I could buy two more workshops, but I feel that my chance of success is rather slim.

Without access to any information on a business it's really impossible to know what is happening. Are raw materials prices too high? No, both citied are well supplied. Is there no demand? I honestly don't know what my carpentry shop makes.

Workshops were too good and now for the most part they seem pointless. I want my smitty to make some of that 35k horse armor. Someone has to make it, so why not me?

Look at the citys production and build something that use a material that is locally produced and you will see more profits. And it seems killing off looters, bandits and such also improves the economy.

You cannot just invest in random and expect it to generate a lot of wealth.
I built my wood workshop ina a city with a bopund village producing hardwood, tried a tannery in sibil (two bound villages producing cows) and a smithy in a town with a bound village producing iron, neither have provided more than 80 denars per day

Back
Top Bottom