With fire and sword

Users who are viewing this thread

I played it in it's Warband version (With Fire & Sword - Wild Plains) released in Poland. Quited after 3-4 hours. As a person interested in history I just couldn't stand level of historical inaccuracy. Items, their names, prices, stats, whole map, types of units - all messed up to the point of being unbareable. Moreover, there is no artillery. In general, the game that was released in Central Europe by Ukrainian developer Sich looks more like an unfinished mod than a standalone, solid game. I.e. after a while it becomes really irritating that you cannot move freely in many towns & castles - suddenly you hit the "glass" wall. It means you can't go into some of crucial buildings "on foot" (like shop, even castle ect.), but you can do it only from towns' menu. Primitive solution for a studio that was too lazy to finalize their game I'd say... However, to be honest, musket warfare is real fun and quite well done. Though there are no formations so it kinda ruins the whole feeling of the era again.

God damn it, with so many mods out there that implement formations and even artillery... why the hell didn't they add those? If there are mods out there, then it means it is possible! :neutral:
  Regarding historical accuracy... I won't say anything. I loved the novels, so Ill just hope the storyline respects Sienkievicz' work (I think I misspelled his name but you know what I mean :razz:)

Arcas Nebun said:
  God damn it, with so many mods out there that implement formations and even artillery... why the hell didn't they add those? If there are mods out there, then it means it is possible! :neutral:
  Regarding historical accuracy... I won't say anything. I loved the novels, so Ill just hope the storyline respects Sienkievicz' work (I think I misspelled his name but you know what I mean :razz:)

Those are some amazing books.  They're actually the main reason I was kind of excited to play this game.  Did you ever read Teutonic Knights?  I actually like it even more than the trilogy.

Helz said:
Arcas Nebun said:

Those are some amazing books.  They're actually the main reason I was kind of excited to play this game.  Did you ever read Teutonic Knights?  I actually like it even more than the trilogy.

Wanted to, but I quit reading books! No more time! Maybe I'll read it sometime. Heard it's a great book!

So effectively, what I'm hearing is people are charging money for Blood and Steel or one of the other 23023403240234 mods that include gunpowder weapons in this game?

One thing that bothers me is that M&B:Warband is far from being a proper game. The sieges are still the same way as in the original M&B, which means they're broken even though we bought a brand new game. Will they be fixing this? When developers start working on a new game, they usually put the older games on a low burner. Sometimes ending support entirely.

There's almost no diplomacy in Warband and little improvement over the original M&B (Being able to run your own faction is nice but what good is it when all your lords end up hating you?)

Multiplayer in M&B isn't really anything to write home about. The combat is fun, but everything around the combat is needlessly frustrating. (Constantly having to equip your character and deal with the weird gold system, for example.). The game modes aren't very original either. Why are they introducing FPS-style game modes to a third-person medieval combat game?

And from the looks of it, they're reintroducing the exact same multiplayer modes (Half of which aren't even being played in Warband!) to With Sword & Fire. That's just stupid.

Why can't they create something cRPG'ish for With Fire & Sword? Put in some real effort? If one guy with a few volunteers can do it, why can't Taleworlds do it even better?

I hope they'll improve everything that's wrong with both M&B and M&B:W (Because most faults are simply inherited given that they're the exact same games. Anyone who claims otherwise hasn't played M&B.)
and that they give it a decent price. After all; it's the same engine, the same graphics and the exact same idea that they're trying to sell us.

Also, the trailer is horrible. M&B isn't exactly known for its high quality graphics, so to me that trailer just looks like they're showing some outdated homebrew game. You're not going to sell the game to anyone that way that doesn't know M&B with that trailer. You have to show the awesome fights M&B is capable of. I don't play M&B for the pretty graphics because there aren't any. The town scenery does look good but I don't really think any one plays it for sight-seeing either.

I'll still be buying M&B:WSF. Regardless of all my negativity, M&B is one of the most addictive games I've ever played.
Just wish they'd put more effort in fixing their games and adding interesting, groundbreaking multiplayer instead of the rinse-and-repeat easy way out.

becouse crpg system is rpg. Not everyone likes rpg ****, and there are already to much mmorpg games out. i like warband as it is, everything i dont like or i miss can be modded.

venomousraptor said:
I hope they'll improve everything that's wrong with both M&B and M&B:W (Because most faults are simply inherited given that they're the exact same games. Anyone who claims otherwise hasn't played M&B.)

I claim otherwise.
Without Warband there would be no Huscarls, no Sarranids,
no cool map, no player kingdoms (big importance here), and no Diplomacy mod

I think Fire and Sword looks like a worse version of Warband but i read in the features of some improvements i would like

Most of the features they promise in Fire&Sword can already be seen in mods today. We will just have to wait and see how they will implement it them, and how the world "feels" like. I hope it will be worth it. Good luck devs, may the light of programing shine on you so you can deliver x10!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the gunpowder age, but if the combat can include melee troops effectively then I think it'll be good. I really like the idea of Captain Team Deathmatch too, if it was implemented in a more Battle-mode way. However, I wish they would stick with the old factions like the Swadians and the Vaegirs.

Hang on, is TaleWorlds developing 'With Fire and Sword'? I thought they had little to do with it, that it was CD Projekt developing that game, but most posters here seem to think otherwise.

Anyway, I'd say you're being a tad harsh, venomenousraptor. Mount&Blade started as a low-budget indie project by two people, and ever since it has been growing. But I don't think it's realistic to expect TaleWorlds to deliver a game of the level of technical quality an established commercial game studio can provide. It's still a fairly small company with a fairly small producer. While you may say that too little has changed in Warband, the developers spent more money on creating Warband than they did on making the original Mount&Blade. I believe the reason why they played 'safe' on the multiplayer game modes is because this is their first multiplayer game. It would be a major risk to try to make more experimental modes with limited resources and experience in the matter. There is one thing I agree with though: the developers would have probably saved themselves a lot of criticism if they would have called Warband a standalone expansion pack (as they originally intended) in stead of a sequel, because that's what it is.

(Note that, despite the red flag under my name, I am not a member of the TaleWorlds staff :razz:)

venomousraptor said:
Why can't they create something cRPG'ish for With Fire & Sword? Put in some real effort? If one guy with a few volunteers can do it, why can't Taleworlds do it even better?

Taleworlds is NOT developing With Fire & Sword (97% sure) Someone else is doing it with their engine.
Basically what Narrator said:

TheNarrator said:
Hang on, is TaleWorlds developing 'With Fire and Sword'? I thought they had little to do with it, that it was CD Projekt developing that game, but most posters here seem to think otherwise.
(Note that, despite the red flag under my name, I am not a member of the TaleWorlds staff :razz:)

TheNarrator said:
There is one thing I agree with though: the developers would have probably saved themselves a lot of criticism if they would have called Warband a standalone expansion pack (as they originally intended) in stead of a sequel, because that's what it is.

Don't they call Warband a standalone expansion already?  That's definitely what it was called on Steam when I bought it about 5 months ago.  Personally, I'd prefer they called it a sequel, because the xpac thing confused me for quite a while.  I still see lots of threads where people ask which one they should buy.

Back
Top Bottom