With fire and sword

Users who are viewing this thread

airbornenik said:
You have the red flag because you look cool and buy taleworlds products. Unfortunately I am the latter.
Protip: Arch is actually the only admin to have a white flag; however, it has been stained red with the blood of multitudinous fools and morons he has slayed (often followed up with a witty one-liner).

I thought it was communist statement or part of that rapist role play thing you're into.
With quotes like that, I think that hankie's being used to wave down passing bulls.

In all seriousness, the whining is of two parts, both substantially wrong:

1.  It will be "just like some mod".  No, it won't.  There are precisely zero mods for this engine that approach a pro level of polish and content- they're all piggybacking on Taleworlds work and the free stuff that's given away around here, and the quality is necessarily fairly spotty.  For the "all we care about is the gameplay" people, that might not matter, but it matters to most of us.  Yazzy didn't basically drop out of sight for months because Taleworlds has been paying him to sleep; he's been working on the project, and it's clear that the art's decent.

There's room for legitimate quibbles with what they've shown for marketing purposes.  I think that they did themselves a minor disservice by making movies showing the terrain of the main map, prior to adding details, and I am hoping that the main battlefields are a little more polished than in the promo stuff, but I can't complain too much, I just figured out how to address that myself and maybe they haven't downloaded Blood and Steel lately.  But that's something that could be fixed with a mini-mod real, real fast.  Or they could just peek at my source and use some of the ideas in there in the first update.  Because we know that, like the previous games, there will be updates.

Then there are all of the engine-side goodies for modders, like being able to port from Warband pretty much instantly, better formation systems and a number of nice new features which gives us access to new toys to play with. I don't think I'll want to stick with Warband when I can upgrade and use cool new things and hardly get off my couch to do it.  In short, this may be an evolutionary, not revolutionary, step, but it's probably going in the right direction.

2.  Whining that MP didn't get amazingly better.

First off, we don't know that, because we largely haven't seen it; I think that's a marketing error on Taleworlds' part, and they should talk about MP play, but they're probably all taking a breather after being in crunch so long that they aren't thinking about further marketing.  Except for Armagan, who's probably deep into working on the next engine's architecture and thinking about what is necessary to take the franchise to the next level.

The way I see it, it's not really Taleworlds' job to make all the MP stuff; as we've seen with Warband, the modding community's doing that job really well, with Taleworlds providing support and a solid base of gameplay.  But I really like Captain mode; if it allows one player to be the commander of the bots, then it and very minor work on some player-side stuff is pretty much all I'd need to make Blood and Steel play in MP like it does in SP, which has always been a goal.

xenoargh said:
...Then there are all of the engine-side goodies for modders, like being able to port from Warband pretty much instantly, better formation systems and a number of nice new features which gives us access to new toys to play with...
I know I've been on the skeptical side of life this whole time, but, other than a possible mention in a review, can you point to any evidence that this has actually been incorporated? All the promo shots are same ol' Warband AI...and one would imagine that, if a better AI has been developed, that it would appear in at least one of the many videos. Have I missed it?

Also people with problems with this game (I am not one of them) seem to be focusing their anger at Taleworlds.

Just an FYI SiCh Studios are the developers of WFaS.  They are just using the M&B engine.

SunofVich said:
Also people with problems with this game (I am not one of them) seem to be focusing their anger at Taleworlds.

Just an FYI SiCh Studios are the developers of WFaS.  They are just using the M&B engine.
Sigh. And then it was rereleased a year later on Warband's engine. And now Taleworlds has polished that and is releasing it internationally.
JabdiMelborn said:
questions answered by Mikail Yazbeck on "GamersDailyNews.com":
GDN User: What is the relation between released in the Central and Eastern Europe "Mount & Blade: Ogniem i Mieczem: Dzikie Pola" ("Mount & Blade: The Great Battle") and the upcoming "Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword"? Will people that bought the first one get upgrades from TaleWorlds? Is this the same game?

Yazzy: That version is the Eastern European release of the game, that released before the International version. Yes it is the same game, and yes owners of the Eastern EU version(of the recent release) should be able to download all the patches that will update their game to the international version.

I know I've been on the skeptical side of life this whole time, but, other than a possible mention in a review, can you point to any evidence that this has actually been incorporated? All the promo shots are same ol' Warband AI...and one would imagine that, if a better AI has been developed, that it would appear in at least one of the many videos. Have I missed it?
Well... I presume that since the game for 1.011 engine had fancy formations (block formations, line stuff, it's in the old videos)... that that's in this.  And they said they were considering adding better animation support (although it should be said that it wasn't explicit whether they meant this project or Mount and Blade II).  I'll be the first to say it's all fairly vague until it ain't, though.

I think all the battles showcased occur on fairly even, flat terrain.

COULD IT BE!!!

we don't have to deal with massive moon craters with nearly vertical slopes, hills that erosion forgot, and obstacles that the AI runs headfirst into and can't escape?

one can only hope...

I liked Warband eventough it is a really poorly made game. Terrible AI, tons of bugs even (in todays late version). All that aside, the concept is so unique and fun that it's right up there with my favourite games of all time.

Fire and Sword on the other hand is just like Warbands only someone had the brilliant idea to introduce firearms. Now almost every NPC has a 1 hit-kill ranged attack which they can pull of at some 300 yards. Sure it's realistic but if that was the aim of the game then most hits from any weapon should be lethal. It's not much fun constantly getting killed mid combat.

Yep, it's like Warband. With some great improvements to the scenario. But since the the best part of Warbands, the battles, got completely gimped I'm not buying this game. I'll stick to Warbands.

I must say I'm dissapointed, I was hoping for a more story driven scenario aswell due to all the talk about how the game is based off a novel. However there is NO story what so ever. Just some make-belief european cities, towns and nations (that might be in the book, making it an Uwe Boll attempt at a novel based game).

Back
Top Bottom