Why does brytenwalda have more content than this?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't understand, why would a company with a high reputation release a dlc that the mod this came from is more bug free and have more content AND ITS FREE?

Kiwwhi said:
Because money ?
well thats obvious but I want a real answer from taleworlds why they released this in such a unfinished fashon, not just "oh we're sorry please buy our next game". Also what happened towarlord mode?

NordMasterRace said:
Kiwwhi said:
Because money ?
well thats obvious but I want a real answer from taleworlds why they released this in such a unfinished fashon, not just "oh we're sorry please buy our next game". Also what happened towarlord mode?
You got your answer. They wanted to cash in on a holiday release, but they screwed up and admitted it. What else do you want?

From what I understand, TaleWorlds has been working pretty much exclusively on Bannerlord. That's why the Brytenwalda team had to "give" the DLC to TaleWorlds to release, and TW didn't already have it. It's farcical to blame the publisher for the mistakes of the developer unless in a case such as Skyrim's.

Taleworlds admitted they were at fault and apologized to the Brytenwalda team.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,319752.msg7564192.html#msg7564192

NordMasterRace said:
I don't understand, why would a company with a high reputation release a dlc that the mod this came from is more bug free and have more content AND ITS FREE?

In what ways does Brytenwalda have more content?

NordMasterRace said:
I'd guess it's because when you're developing free mod, you're free to borrow heavily from the community. However when you're developing a commercial mod, you have to develop everything by yourself from scratch, including the stuff that you have made yourself earlier for the free mod, for as long as there was the tiniest bit of others' contributions. Because you cannot simply ask for permission anymore - you have to find all those contributors and sign lengthy legal binding agreements with them.

As Lav says: Brytenwalda is a free mod, this is a commercial DLC. Many of the features that are in Brytenwalda are also found in other Warband mods and are developed by the community, for instance Freelancing and Diplomacy. Thus they can't be included without a rather complex legal framework. The good news is of course that when people start to make mods for VC, these features can easily be included, in addition to all the new features that VC has introduced.

Epicrules said:
From what I understand, TaleWorlds has been working pretty much exclusively on Bannerlord. That's why the Brytenwalda team had to "give" the DLC to TaleWorlds to release, and TW didn't already have it. It's farcical to blame the publisher for the mistakes of the developer unless in a case such as Skyrim's.

That's the biggest pile of crap I've read in days. Wow...

Fact is, TW contracted the Brytenwalda team. TW is the publisher. TW is ultimately responsible for this product and they have to make sure that their contracted workforce does it's job properly and doublecheck if the quality met their wishes and standards. Neither of these seem to have happened, so both parties are to blame somewhat but ultimately the publisher.

Everything else doesn't matter and is no concern to the customer. (Especially if it's internally)

Besides, the deed is done and yet I'm sure the product will be fixed up and polished over time. Doesn't change that we were led to believe that this is a finished product though, we shouldn't forget this and keep it in mind if we ever think about picking up another product of theirs.

Uhhuh, keep thinking that. I'll never understand the level of entitlement people seem to get from shelling out twelve dollars on a videogame. It's natural to expect a working product but to say "Everything else doesn't matter and is no concern to the customer. (Especially if it's internally)" is just ignorant.

Epicrules said:
Uhhuh, keep thinking that. I'll never understand the level of entitlement people seem to get from shelling out twelve dollars on a videogame. It's natural to expect a working product but to say "Everything else doesn't matter and is no concern to the customer. (Especially if it's internally)" is just ignorant.

How is this ignorant? Seriously?! Is the gaming industry excempted from business standards for you or something?

The matter of fact is, if you buy a car and something is wrong with it, you'll contact the company that sells them, or in the end at least the ones who've put their brand on it. It doesn't matter if they produced it inhouse, the company won't tell you that they can't help you and send you to the factory were your car was made to find the one guy responsible in there who botched up your product. No they won't. They'll deal with the probem itself internally and that is no concern of yours. That would be ridiculous.

You need to look at this issue more objectively. Purely from a customer point of view.

I can't let my personal opinion skew my view on the facts. I personally don't care that much about the current state of Viking Conquest. I intended to buy it no matter what because I wanted to give something back to TW and the Brytenwalda mod team. The low amount of money I paid to TW for all M&B titles compared to the amount of enjoyment and playtime I got out of them... jesus, it feels almost criminal. And not a single cent went to the mod prior to VQ. Which feels even more like a steal.

It has nothing to do with feeling overly entitled to anything. It's just common business standards, defined over hundreds of years in the history of humanity. Always remember, the guy who sold snake-oil usually hang by the end of the day. And we should be glad that we've come that far that such practices aren't the case anymore and are replaced by more reasonable ones.

It's the objectivity you seem to have that's my problem. Cars are not video games, you pay thousands of dollars to get a car and if something doesn't work it can actually screw you over, objectively. A video game you pay 12 dollars for is not a car, you will not suffer a loss of quality of life if your videogame has a few bugs that the developers are working to fix.

Best way to look at this:

Was it a great release, no, some things got messed up and it appears rushed. But give them some time to fix it folks, I think they will. The Brytenwalda team made one of the greatest mods ever, I think they will work with this to make it better. They like quality work, this is not Creative Assembly here.

Back
Top Bottom