Whatever Part of the World Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Owns Right Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

The EU membership referendum was just a ploy to gain more dosh for the NHS. This resulted in the non-official bus sign and now we'll starve out our obesity epidemic through the incoming famine.

Bunny Cookie Canada said:
I read that 4/5 people in the UK weren't alive when the Queen was crowned. I didn't know there were only 5 people left.

That's four too many, our my infrastructure cannot cope. I have long suspected that everyone I pass in the street is really one of my family members in disguise, and now I have proof. Sadly, when I tell them all to **** off to somewhere outside the UK where they haven't come from, there will doubtless be arguments, but that's what these bloody people are like.

Jesus, come on Britain, at first it was horrifying, then kinda funny, but now it's just making me feel bad, like watching an old dog and mustering the mental strength to take him for the final trip to the vet.

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
this whole ordeal makes me feel better about my capacity to meet deadlines

:lol: Yes, the way our government seems to have dealt with Brexit reminds me uncomfortably of my time at university; ignore the important stuff then start doing something inadequate at the last minute, always doubting that I should be there in the first place.

If what happened, it wouldn't be undemocratic to have a second referendum with a remain option on Brexit?

For example would it be undemocratic at all, if the people themselves had the power to initiate referenda. For example if any referendum proposal with 2 million signatures did go through, would it still be undemocratic to have a second referendum?

You'd think the democratic process deserves another chance if you can't negotiate some sort of deal and are basically hurtling towards a hard brexit. You voted for brexit, you voted for people to negotiate brexit, and now they're unable to do so, so why not take a serious look at whether this really needs to happen?

What does it mean to 'devalue democratic process'? I think there is a problem with repeating elections and referenda, which is the following: Often, only a certain agent(in our case, the parliament) has the power to repeat/initiate referenda. If they are allowed to repeat referenda, then they get more potentially unjustified power in determining policy outcomes according to their preferences, since they can repeat the process until they get a result they want.

But on the other hand, it seems odd to claim that a referendum binds until eternity, or at least that it's not sensitive at all to changing circumstances.

And initiating a referendum through popular means(maybe increasing the required number of signatures for each repeat of the referendum) removes this problem of giving some agent unfair power over policies. But you think there is a problem just about repeating itself, and I don't understand what that is.

Back
Top Bottom