What features do you miss from the games of old?

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, first off I'll say what made me come to think of that question. A while ago I was wanting to play a "new" game (not new, but something else if that makes any sense) and I managed to narrow it down to me wanting to play an RTS, although I couldn't decide which RTS I wanted to play since all of them these days seem to have lost the old RTS feel of actually using strategy rather than a "do this, do that then this thing and you've won" routine. Then there is also the fact that the maps are getting smaller and smaller with each new game.

Taking that map size as an example, in the days of AOE II, it took quite some time to mobilise your force to even half way across the map, now with the likes of the EA-ified C&C games (I know, the letters EA have a lot to do with it, but others are following their footsteps here), once you have your base defences built up, the turrets are in range of their base practically. So that's the first thing I miss from old games, the monumental maps, which is one of the reasons I love Supreme Commander so much

Another thing that seems to be missing from a large amount of RTS games is the random map generation. Really, is it so hard to keep that in, rather than making a couple of preset maps which players will be able to forge the "perfect" strategy and quit if they don't get the right map or location on that map? Surely it would take less space to have random map scripts than preset map files. Indeed, most of the classics (I consider AOE II and Tiberian Sun to be these for a point of reference) had both their own roster of fixed maps, and their own map generation. I usually used said map generation since it helped me hone my adaptation skills and learn general strategies that worked in almost all situations but didn't excel or fail particularly. Now we have the "you put that turret there and the match is yours" type of thing.

Now I've stated my two main gripes about RTS games specifically because honestly I can't think of any at the moment about other types of games though there are some. I am very interested to see what the rest of you think are the main things that have been "phased out" of gaming that shouldn't be

Addressing your point about random map generation. In games like AoE and Tiberian Sun, you could get away with a random map perfectly fine because they were just based on tiles that you could paste wherever. Games like Supreme Commander, however, have maps that are designed to look polished and finished, and I don't think it'd be very easy to create a random map generator that makes the maps look finished and not slapdash and "wrong". Or at least, it wouldn't be easy to do it in a way that your average desktop computer could run without bogging down.

Yeah, that's the problem I can see in it. I think they preferred to simply forgo the option rather than have crappy, un-finished-looking maps, which is a decision I can understand.

The smaller, non-random maps are because, for some reason, people feel that now they're in the 21st century all their games have to be in 3D.

I've really never understood this. Sure, with 1st/3rd person games 3D is great, but why the **** do you need it in a strategy game where you will probably use the zoom feature once or twice when you first start playing and then completely forget about it in favour of a good old-fashioned top-down view?

Then because of this the maps have to be tiny because they use so many resources and take so long to make, and random maps become nigh-impossible because of all the needlessly complicated bits of terrain.

Add to that the 3d artwork never looks as realistic and takes a hell of a lot more time/resources to make.

Incidentally, if you want a good semi-old-school RTS try Cossacks: Back to War.

I never thought of it that way about the map generation if I'm quite honest, though it does make perfect sense now that I do think about it. There is still the small map issue, since I feel that is turning the real time strategy genre away from the strategy and more to the tactics, and for what? Pretty graphics and console support?

First things first, RTS games do not work on a console, turn based ones would be much more suitable, but real time? And to get those large maps that I so love in RTS games I would gladly give up some visual quality, I don't need to see diverse faces for my infantry their just going to get shot to bits anyway.

I also thought of something I miss from old shooters, the fact they didn't try to be realistic. Now every shooter I see is either modern combat, and "realistic" or futuristic warfare... and "realistic". Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam and Tribes didn't try to be realistic, they tried to be fun and succeeded very much. Leave the realism to the milsims.

I miss the "Old School" Adventure games, such as Fate of Atlantis. Thankfully there as the 5 Days a Stranger Series, but that ended.  :cry:

Quality, challenge and bloody genocide.

And more space based stuff wouldn't be bad either.
More creativity wouldn't kill anyone either.

Note: Bloody genocide=Huge ****ing armies fighting on huge ****ing battlefields.
Like Supreme commander only with reasonable system requirements.

Speaking of old games. I came across a game called Emperor of the Fading Suns, and I'm pretty impressed by the screenshots I've seen. However, I can't seem to get it working on Windows XP. I installed it and when I run it, it just makes a bunch of error noises in quick succession and goes to a black screen. Anyone know of this game, and how to fix this problem?

Yeah, tried that. Now what happens is, I get to the menu just fine and it runs for about 20 seconds, then an error pops up saying memory couldn't be read. Happens every time now.

Disregard, I got it working.

As much as I love warband I still remember the bonny days of river-pirate killing and sigh.  .202 was an awesome experience for me.

Back
Top Bottom