What do you think of "With Fire and Sword"?

Users who are viewing this thread

LordDrakull

Recruit
Now that I have played it, I don't like it as much as Warband. This is not what I expected. I thought it would be better than Warband. Say, you could be King and have children for example. I like the firearms, medieval is good but you can't get married or officially become King. Atleast in Warband, you can force them to accept you. This one has neither.

I like the fact that it has an interesting different twist for me to follow but otherwise I'm lukewarm on it after I played it awhile. I'll continue to support Taleworlds because they turned out some really, really awesome stuff with Warband but I just wasn't impressed with this one anywhere nearly as much. I understand as a historical it had to be different and some things had to be removed as such but it sorta left me with a feeling of not being quite full. Of course the price is cheap though.

I just hope that they go back with the next one and expand on Warband significantly (keep all the old plus add a great deal of new) and give us another round of the awesome little land they introduced us to with the first two installments.

This "expansion" is a huge step back from the gem that was warband.  If it had been release prior to warband it would have been mediocre at best, afterward I can't help the feeling that I paid good money for an unfinished low quality amateur mod.

Especially with no feedback from the devs, it's almost an acknowledgment that they know they made a money grab and gave us a turd (not even vague promises that they might take a look at some of the more obvious bugs).

To me personally, I will stick with warband with the knowledge that the mount and blade franchise is if not dead, is now almost beyond the hope of rehabilitation.

I've got mixed feelings about it. It's definitely fun -- but it's not more fun than, say, the free WFaS mod, MM mod, Invasion or Hunt. The best part about it, in my opinion, is that it will always be more mainstream and have a bigger playerbase than a mod, which means bigger battles and more reliable multiplayer.

I really like gunpowder warfare, and I really like the setting, but my enjoyment of the game is offset by its overall unfinished feel and its lack of innovative content.

I don't regret my purchase, and I intend to enjoy the game further, but, in some ways, it was disappointing.

riftaxe said:
This "expansion" is a huge step back from the gem that was warband.  If it had been release prior to warband it would have been mediocre at best, afterward I can't help the feeling that I paid good money for an unfinished low quality amateur mod.

Especially with no feedback from the devs, it's almost an acknowledgment that they know they made a money grab and gave us a turd (not even vague promises that they might take a look at some of the more obvious bugs).

To me personally, I will stick with warband with the knowledge that the mount and blade franchise is if not dead, is now almost beyond the hope of rehabilitation.

I wouldn't say it is dead or beyond hope... but rather this one in a way defined what the developers do best with this product line... aka make more adventures in the original land of their creation... where they can continue to build up and evolve on the product rather than having to strip down and take away to make M&B more in line to a particular point of history or a famous novel.

Here's my opinion:

My first impressions with Mount and Blade: with Fire and Sword, initially made by a different company called Sich studio, seems to be mixed, I don't like it but I don't hate it. It is a port from the first M&B game. While it is a change of pace from the normal sandbox to be a story-driven sandbox based of the novel "With Fire and Sword" by Henryk Sienkiewicz, while haven't read the book or got a copy, but I I'm going to assume that it doesn't have multiple endings, like this game. While we're on not being true to the source material, I am unable to choose a female avatar with no information given in the manual, I'm going to assume it is for historical accuracy despite there have been female combatants leading armies and joining wars throughout history be it cross-dressing as men or not, sometimes only discovered after death and therefore, due to values at the time, had to be covered up. The fact that it is based off a fictional story that used historical figures from what I can gather due to the information available to me, I believe that is called historical FICTION in America, and yet it gives you the option to play an alternate ending thus giving you an option to NOT follow the story in the intended way, yet omitting a female gender seems rather alarming to me.

No longer can you just carve your path into the enemy army, you have to change your tactics due to muskets and pistols. This is not a game where you can be one-man army, you have to use tactics. It maybe difficult but I'm sure people may get the hang of it, someday. Apparently You can also become a ruler of the commonwealth after completing the story, most likely, however I am not sure due to the fact I don't have an interest in the story right now. The loading times seem to take a long time for some reason.

Sich studio originally made this and while not bad, it's not good either, Let's hope that Taleworlds can fix their mess. A lot could be improved if this standalone "expansion" is to live up to the name expansion. To use an example X3: reunion and X3: Terran Conflict, X3 TC, from what I gather from information is a standalone expansion of X3:R and it expanded upon X3:R while removing itself from the story-driven sandbox to go to sandbox. That is the definition of expansion I believe, to expand upon. Story driven sandboxes can be good if done correctly, like for example the X series from Egosoft; save for the last one which it turned into a full fledged sandbox game, so a story driven sandbox can and has been (multiple times in fact) done before.

Possibly when I have gained an interest, I will do an in-depth review, but until then, my opinion remains the same, I don't like it but I don't hate it either.

With the original M&B being a 7/10, Warband being 8.5/10, Fire and Sword has dropped down to 6.5/10. Far too many good things were cut, with little else added to replace it. However, the core of the gameplay is still there, and the game still is fun - just not as fun as Warband.

I probably wouldn't purchase F&S if I knew then when I know now, but I'm not disgruntled or upset with my purchase either.  I am going to play it, and I am enjoying parts of it, but next time a M&B game is released I will do a lot more research instead of simply preordering it and expecting it to be great, as I did with F&S.

RndmNumGenerator said:
With the original M&B being a 7/10, Warband being 8.5/10, Fire and Sword has dropped down to 6.5/10. Far too many good things were cut, with little else added to replace it. However, the core of the gameplay is still there, and the game still is fun - just not as fun as Warband.

I probably wouldn't purchase F&S if I knew then when I know now, but I'm not disgruntled or upset with my purchase either.  I am going to play it, and I am enjoying parts of it, but next time a M&B game is released I will do a lot more research instead of simply preordering it and expecting it to be great, as I did with F&S.

Other than I would have rated in this manner M&B 7.5/10, Warband 9/10, and F&S 6/10 (which is more or less same thing you said...  :grin: ), I have to fully agree with you. I'm not upset, I just don't see me getting the amount of play interest out of it that I originally anticipated.

F&S is my first M&B game. I didn't research much other than to come here and make sure the mods were compatible with it. I saw a video on the game play and decided it looked fun. I thought I was buying Warband with some extras, but after playing it a bit, and listening to people talk, it appears that a few fun things have been stripped out of it that I wish were still in it. I wish at this point I had just bought Warband now. I am considering getting Warband from D2D since it's still on sale, but really divided over spending more money on this franchise.

Foojo said:
F&S is my first M&B game. I didn't research much other than to come here and make sure the mods were compatible with it. I saw a video on the game play and decided it looked fun. I thought I was buying Warband with some extras, but after playing it a bit, and listening to people talk, it appears that a few fun things have been stripped out of it that I wish were still in it. I wish at this point I had just bought Warband now. I am considering getting Warband from D2D since it's still on sale, but really divided over spending more money on this franchise.

I will say this:  Don't let your Fire & Sword experience cloud your view of the entire franchise.  D2D is offering Warband for six dollars, I see.  It is absolutely, 100% worth it, and it would be a shame not to experience it based on the flaws of what is, really, a largely unrelated game in Fire & Sword.

And that's especially true when you start factoring in the various mods that are already out there for Warband and are capable of adding even more once you're itching to move on from Native.

LordDrakull said:
Now that I have played it, I don't like it as much as Warband. This is not what I expected. I thought it would be better than Warband. Say, you could be King and have children for example. I like the firearms, medieval is good but you can't get married or officially become King. Atleast in Warband, you can force them to accept you. This one has neither.

I do not like how you can not hire people from the towns and then buy equpiment for them from the stores, I would think that in stead of merc camps I could just hired people form the towns went to the markets and place order for like so many rifles so forth and then equpied them that way.

to me that would been more releastic then merc camps.

Foojo said:

definately pick up M&B warband, it's half the price and one heck of a fun game.  There are really no words expressive enough (and not at the same time vulgar)  to convey the difference between M&B warband and this rather unfortunate mod.

A big step backwards and a disgraceful attempt to milk the fans. This is coming from a guy who bought M&B when there was only two factions (swadia and vaegirs.)

I like it. Love the period love the gun implementation, for the most part.

Wish that player was not so susceptible to gunfire though, perhaps making guns a less common sight would help some.
All in all, it is not perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. 

After 30 minutes of play... I am disappointed.  Very. 

I don't like any of the design decisions.  I keep having to erase pages of specific griping, starting with having to do the "tutorial" more than once because I wanted to test out builds.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Basically, it has all of the things about Warband I disliked, and none of the things I liked.

I don't even want to post this, but I feel like I should be honest about it.

I want to be honest, I regret ever purchasing. I will stick with Warband until they make a new version related Warband.

xenoargh said:
After 30 minutes of play... I am disappointed.  Very. 

I don't like any of the design decisions.  I keep having to erase pages of specific griping, starting with having to do the "tutorial" more than once because I wanted to test out builds.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Basically, it has all of the things about Warband I disliked, and none of the things I liked.

I don't even want to post this, but I feel like I should be honest about it.

You can skip the tutorial by pressing tab, though. I figured it out when I was creating my second character -- I dreaded having to listen to that stilted voice acting again  :lol:

Is that we are trending rapidly towards the realm of a first person shooter, and that nitch is already full. The magic of the M&B series has always been that extra dimension of character development, economics, politics, and the feeling that you can show up with nothing, but win it all. In Warband, you could literally find the crown of France lying on the floor and stoop to pick it up, but WF&S is missing the crucial element which causes a player to really buy into a game, to suspend disbelief, as it were. The game is missing a bit of soul, I think, or else something with a stomach in't. If you are in it strictly for the multi-player, this is probably a non-issue; but if you are truly in it for immersive entertainment, you're probably going to be a little bit disappointed.   

I like the time period, I like the look of the armors and weapons. That is about it.

Getting started is a very boring process of dodging endless bands of deserters, brigands and rebels while looking for companions and trading. The loading animation for muskets and pistols is bad. I could accept it from a mod, but from an "official" game they are selling, it should be complete with ramrods, powder etc, not just a hand going through the motions. The fact that mercs not leveling even made it into the release shows a total lack of professionalism. The melee combat feels like a downgrade and seems alot slower than warband.

No marriage, starting your on faction or playing as female. The common excuse for this is that it is because it is a historical game. That argument is not valid, as the game is an alternate history. The whole draw of M&B was the ability to created my own story how I will. Whether that be joining a faction, creating my own, trading or just being a mercenary. Removing some of these options does nothing but kill the appeal of the series.

The map is also extremely bland, I've never been to eastern Europe, so maybe it is all completely flat with the same colour foliage everywhere. But I doubt that. I'm sure there are some mountains or hills or whatever in there. Even if there isnt, the map is very boring.

All in all I feel like a bought a mediocre mod that is still in development.

Back
Top Bottom