What do you Think about the New 'Campaign' Single Player Mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So, it seems we will be issued with missions in this new campaign mode and although we can ignore them, there is not an option for just a plain open sandbox?

Now, I'm not complaining... I think it will be fine and I loved the events and missions in Viking Conquest for example.

Just wondered what you lovely folk make of this??

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm just going to go on Amazon and see if I can change the delivery date for the rubber nippleless gimp suit I ordered for the 31st.

I think things will gonna like they did in Skyrim
You have world to explore
And no body give a chop about Alduin
I mean, really, if you can dont pay attention on tho campain and do everything you can do in Warband - that is a sandbox

It's great news that this will be available at the start of EA. I think it can only add to Mount and Blade, as it can be ignored and you can roleplay as not wanting to get involved in these events (which will likely relate to the fate of the late Emperor and the Civil War).

Yeah this is how it was with WFAS (as buggy as it was)

You could choose to get involved with the quests, or you could just say "yeah nah" and decide to play it like Warband, and either option worked.

I'll absolutely play the campaign, though I'm buying the game for the sandbox. I'm sure it will be a fun and authentic experience that introduces me to the new gameplay features, and not least introduces us to the different factions and rulers so we get a better idea of the world before we jump into the sandbox.

Depending on the gameplay, I might just play the campaign once. We have to see how it turns out first ^^

From my understanding - going back on knowledge from a long time ago - I believe its centered around the Empire civil war; to give you a cause to choose one of the successors I assume perhaps with some backstory. The old dev blog that mentioned it indicated that playing as one of the other non-imperial factions would effectively ignore it.

So, it seems we will be issued with missions in this new campaign mode and although we can ignore them, there is not an option for just a plain open sandbox?

Now, I'm not complaining... I think it will be fine and I loved the events and missions in Viking Conquest for example.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm just going to go on Amazon and see if I can change the delivery date for the rubber nippleless gimp suit I ordered for the 31st.
It worked really well in the Viking Conquest DLC, if you dont count the bugs and the limitations in that engine when it came to making deeper story and missions. Im also pretty sure, that like in the VC DLC, you will be able to turn it off at some point, if you dont want it to be part of the game.

It worked really well in the Viking Conquest DLC, if you dont count the bugs and the limitations in that engine when it came to making deeper story and missions. Im also pretty sure, that like in the VC DLC, you will be able to turn it off at some point, if you dont want it to be part of the game.
Viking Conquest was great for this! You could begin your game in storymode or just begin it in regular sandbox mode. Always nice to have options to choose from.

Viking Conquest was great for this! You could begin your game in storymode or just begin it in regular sandbox mode. Always nice to have options to choose from.
Yep, and while im unsure such an option will be there from the start, im a 100% sure it will come later, either Taleworlds put it in there themselves, or it will be part of every native enchance mod to come out.

The good thing about as structured campaign is that the player can have important lore info given to them in a logical way without having to read pages and pages of text in contrived dialogues with characters in taverns and such - or, worse, having to go outside the game entirely to learn about the scenario.

The downside might be that the early game of every campaign you play might be pretty samey from the point of view of 'world events', even if you yourself are ignoring the missions.

Still plenty of time of tweak things during EA, hopefully.

It depends on the exact implementation. Some general starts with a short term objective would be really nice. Things like picking some random variables to task the player with "Lord X killed your farther and usurped your family holding of Y. Kill him and get it back through any means." would be interesting, especially so if combined with alternate starting conditions like in Kenshi. On the other end, it could risk being a glorified tutorial nobody will replay.

It's good for the betterment of the game. It's still a sandbox for the most part. But a bit more structure should lure in a lot more players, which is good.

I think it will be like that brother mission on Warband those missions will just stay there. Sure they might bother me from time to time bu not a big deal

im not concerned about missions/story as much as I am about game features/systems being added that may be unavoidable and disruptive to the sandbox...that can become a major issue quickly. IE: you become a king and the game is suddenly just you focusing on micromanaging and have to juggle so many things the game becomes un-enjoyable.

Adding game depth is great and all I just hope they did not overdo it just because the modding over the years brought about so many great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom