What be on yer mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people don't bother to think logically. If they can convince themselves that they're equal it's just as good as being an equal to them. Ignorance is bliss n' all that.

Ambalon said:
Well, yes. But wouldn't it be better to accept the truth and hold those people as role models? Wouldn't that lead to personal growth?

Or you can give up. That person is already superior to you, and you have no chance of ever becoming as good as that person.
Just like how the rich get richer, the smart get smarter.

So instead of getting depressed, why not just convince yourself that you are equal or better? A human defense mechanism, I guess.

Haresus said:
Or you can give up. That person is already superior to you, and you have no chance of ever becoming as good as that person.
But that will lead you to bettering (dis even a word?) yourself, making you rise above other, making you grow. If you don't do this there will turn up better people than you all the time, and at this point you have to constantly lie to yourself, to take up fetal position and internally scream you're just perfect in your own way.

I dunno. I don't think that's how things should be. =/

Ambalon said:
Haresus said:
But that will lead you to better (dis even a word?) yourself, making you rise above other, making you grow. If you don't do this there will turn up better people than you all the time, and at this point you have to constantly lie to yourself, to take up fetal position and internally scream you're just perfect in your own way.

I dunno. I don't think that's how things should be. =/

Different personalities, I guess. I decided to give up, and I am now living in misery knowing that I am inferior and pretty worthless compared to other better persons. I know that this is a crappy attitude, but I really do not care much anymore.

The word you're looking for might also be simply "better".

Haresus said:
I decided to give up, and I am now living in misery knowing that I am inferior and pretty worthless compared to other better persons.
Same, this is what triggered these questions for me. Have been thinking about this for a few years, anyway, but [not for the first time] I met someone who is better than me in every aspect.

Trevty said:
To be honest, the idea of seeing hills and mountains around me just seems totally impossible or surreal.  I've never lived by hills and only spent relatively small amounts of time in hilly areas.

Same here, I just can't imagine it. I get strange claustrophobic visions thinking of it, which obviously is bull**** too.

Ambalon said:
Haresus said:
I decided to give up, and I am now living in misery knowing that I am inferior and pretty worthless compared to other better persons.
Same, this is what triggered these questions for me. Have been thinking about this for a few years, anyway, but [not for the first time] I met someone who is better than me in every aspect.
Aaand what? You can't try/strive to improve yourself in these fields? It's not like it's genetically decided at birth who is to be superior to who. (well okay, a little)

AWdeV said:
Trevty said:
To be honest, the idea of seeing hills and mountains around me just seems totally impossible or surreal.  I've never lived by hills and only spent relatively small amounts of time in hilly areas.
Same here, I just can't imagine it. I get strange claustrophobic visions thinking of it, which obviously is bull**** too.
You guys are insane. Mountains all around feels cozy as ****. Plains, too. They can get quite... plain, though.
I probably feel that way because, unless I go way up and on some parts of my city, I really can't see much in terms of landscape.
Rams said:
Ambalon said:
Haresus said:
Aaand what? You can't try/strive to improve yourself in these fields? It's not like it's genetically decided at birth who is to be superior to who. (well okay, a little)
It's like you didn't bother reading the discussion.

Rams said:
Ambalon said:
Haresus said:

In what way is it NOT genetically decided? Persons are born more intelligent, more motivated and with different personalities than others, and trying to catch up to someone who is simply better than you is more or less impossible.

Haresus said:
In what way is it NOT genetically decided? Persons are born more intelligent, more motivated and with different personalities than others, and trying to catch up to someone who is simply better than you is more or less impossible.
Well, technically, intelligence doesn't mean much by itself if you don't apply it on studies, industriousness and creativity. And you can always read up on more stuff, exercise yourself, go out more and talk to more people, etc. And, hell, I'll probably literally be the last person in here to admit genetics don't contribute to these factors. Doesn't mean you have to give up, though.

Yea, your attitude towards improving isn't always genetically decided, it could be encouraged or triggered by an event of some sort.

It's like you didn't bother reading the discussion.
Yea okay, I have now.

Ambalon said:
Haresus said:
Well, technically, intelligence doesn't mean much by itself if you don't apply it on studies, industriousness and creativity. And you can always read up on more stuff, exercise yourself, go out more and talk to more people, etc. And, hell, I'll probably literally be the last person in here to admit genetics don't contribute to these factors. Doesn't mean you have to give up, though.

The persons would not be very intelligent if they did not apply their intelligence on studies, industriousness and creativity.

Anyway, giving up is much easier and more convenient.

Also, having your "attitude towards improving" triggered after someone else... Well... Good luck trying to catch up...

Haresus said:
The persons would not be very intelligent if they did not apply their intelligence on studies, industriousness and creativity.
One word: hubris.
Well, of course being a lazy little ****e is more convenient and easier. You'll lag even further behind if you behave like this, though.

Haresus said:
Also, having your "attitude towards improving" triggered after someone else... Well... Good luck trying to catch up...
It doesn't have to be done by someone else. And unless you suffer from a handicap, I'm not sure why it has to be so hard either.

Ambalon said:
Well, of course being a lazy little ****e is more convenient and easier. You'll lag even further behind if you behave like this, though.

True and agreed, but I do not care anymore.

And this is why it might have been better if I simply kept a stubborn "I am better than you, and I can prove it"-attitude, instead of accepting the truth.

Amontadillo said:
4077395.jpg

I have been to that exact location.

Haresus said:
Rolling through three college-level courses in high school and being in the top of my class, I can share some insight on my fellow top-level classmates.

There are roughly five of them that are incredibly intelligent. One of them works for a company that is contracted to help make 3D printers. He has a lot of opportunity (he got in that job thanks to his parents, naturally), he's incredibly smart, knows his way around all subject matter, and yet he's absolutely useless. He has an unimaginably haughty attitude, regards largely everyone else as stupid and below him, and doesn't bother to do any work at all. He gets passed along from high-level course to high-level course because the teachers see the obvious talent he has, but in reality he gets no real credit or gain out of them, because he barely passes them.

There are two that have the opposite extreme life. Their entire life revolves around their grades. This is largely due to their parents and the mentality that "anything below 100% correctness is ****." They have incredibly high grades, largely no social life, have zero charisma and can't work together with other people. They are incredibly, incredibly smart and talented, but their entire life revolves around them getting high grades.

And most of the others aren't as great as the above two groups of people. They're not as talented, they aren't as great at memorizing, they don't spend their entire lives studying. But they have a passion towards learning and connecting what they know and they interact with others to, ultimately, produce the best results. I stress that they aren't as smart as the above kids. But their willpower and passion overwhelms whatever they lack in intelligence.

Your genes are key, yes. Some people are naturally duller than others. But at some point, it really doesn't matter. Top-level politicians rarely were at the top of their class in high school or college. Even Bill Gates flunked Harvard. Their passion and willpower and wanting to continue what they do best is what matters, and that's largely provided by your conscious and is something everyone can do.

Anyway, that's my little rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom