What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Radio Free Albemuth by Philip K ****. An ugly and ineloquent authoritarian rises to be president of the United States through the help of the Russians.  Beggars belief so it does :lol:.

kraggrim ?️ said:
An ugly and ineloquent authoritarian rises to be president of the United States through the help of the Russians.

donald-trump.jpg

Don't know how they are numbered in English editions, but in Greek, they have them by order of year of publishing(of the 1st edition of course). It was a good ordering job, imo. There was some prequel stories in the series, though, so you might want to start with them, although I find that prequels are best read in the end, when you know of each character's story and can relate to them.

Currently, I'm reading Jon Allyn's take of 47 Ronin. I enjoy it, a good book. I recently found a haul of Tuttle books, so a lot of Japanses stories await me. One of the oldest bookstores here is closing and they are giving all the books half-price, so I got quite a lot of them. Books in English cost here ~3-10€, while translated they cost double that sum. I got a LOT of those.

About Dune:

I managed to read and like the first one. I barely was able to suffer through the second one.
Then I broke down sobbing that I bought all of them as one giant ebook at once.
And I have it on good authority that the further you read the more ridiculous and nonsensical they become... :roll:
At some point a central character is half-sandworm half-human, BECAUSE OF COURSE IT IS!

They are utterly insufferably ****. Complete and utter trash.
Infuriating meaningless pseudo-philosophical drivel, ZERO plot to tide you over seven pages of internal dialogue where some character you never met that will die after those seven pages explains something that has been explained seven times in the previous eight chapters.
Go and read and a best-off for the worst brooding teenager angst ****e from the Wheel of Time series, that's a better investment of time, patience and energy than anything after the first Dune book will ever be.

I am dead serious. It is the one and only series I ever read I can't recommend to anyone that I don't hate.

It has some parts where Herbert goes to tiring lengths about some things - not entirely sure if he explains the stupid technology jihad ****e and holy books and everything over and over again in the first one already, if not that's a good example -  but yeah it's pretty cool. Better than any of the movies I've seen in any case.

Mostly because it's an actual story first.
It suffers from some characters with utter-blindness-to-common-sense-and-reason-because-otherwise-there-is-no-story syndrome, but nothing bad.

i borrowed a history book " the age of capital" by (((hobsbawm))) from my mom a month ago. now I'm back for Easter and she tells me: i bought an amazing book, by Eric hobsbawm about the third quarter of the 19th century!
my mom has a ****d up memory and i have a new book

Finally got around to reading Cornwell's Waterloo. Really liking the idea of Berthier just being a clumsy **** and falling out accidentally.

Toll the Hounds said:
And in the stables the mule winks at the horse and the horse feels breakfast twisting in her gut and the flies, well, they fly from one lump of dung to another, convinced that each is different from the last, fickle creatures that they are, and there is no wisdom among the fickle, only longing and frustration, and the buzz invites the next dubious conquest smelling so fragrant in the damp straw.
Buzz buzz.
I'm only a third in, but I'm tempted to claim this is the best book in the series so far. For completely different reasons than the others, too.

Back
Top Bottom