SP Musket Era [WFaS] English Civil War

Users who are viewing this thread

Dazzer said:
Looks great! But I find the armour kind of inappropriate, like Stepdad hinted
  Yeah, I doubt the King's Lifeguard would have had any Polish influence. In Haythornthwaites book (it is considered a little old now by some since more research has been done since but it is still good) the fifth plate has a picture of them (see the link matmohair1 provided)
05lsPjw.jpg
  Since there were a lot of gentlemen in that regiment some may have worn cuirassier armour although we don't know for sure. Bicorne Miniatures, who do a really extensive range of ECW 28mm figures depict them like this:
ECWC28.JPG
ECWC23.JPG
  I think it is mainly the cape and the armour that is a bit off (no offence). I have an Osprey book somewhere with the cape they would wear in inclement weather, will have to dig it out and have a look. I think an interesting unit to do would be the Honourable Band of Gentlemen Pensioners since they fought with poleaxes and pistols, being a bodyguard/ceremonial unit they may have had some cuirassiers as well although, again, this is pure speculation:
http://wiki.bcw-project.org/royalist/horse-regiments/gentlemen-pensioners
  Oh and with Rupert, the primary sources from the time describe him as wearing a red montero cap at Naseby whilst I seem to remember reading he wore a simple grey tunic over his buffcoat and armour at Edgehill (?). I came across this portrait recently which I believe is one painted during the war by William Dobson:
1.png

Dazzer said:
They look marvelous, the cape adds so much into it

I'm thinking about adding a red helmet plume and gloves. Popham's troop wore leather gloves on their right hands and armoured gauntlets on their left hands as shown below:

Z49EN0i.jpg

2vWaBfy.jpg

It suggests the left forearm could be used for blocking while the right fingers  remained free to fire a pistol.

Tüfekçi Başı said:
Good luck!

Thanks.

Tüfekçi Başı said:
Can you animate it?

Yes. In game, the flag will use an animated shader. It's just inactive in OpenBRF.

I was just testing how an AI standard bearer could use the WFaS sword attack animations without swinging his flag dementedly. It should also work on horseback but I'll have to test that in game.

EDIT: oops! There's over-confidence for you. The animated shader objected to my repositioning the flag. I'll have to try and write a new one.

Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:
Fighting standard bearer test in OpenBRF.

Wait, so the ensign will fight and have the flag in his hand at the same time?  :eek:

Yup. And on horseback. He could also fire a pistol, but the reload animations would look silly so I'll only arm standard bearers with swords.

EDIT: I've run into a shader problem. To get a fighting standard bearer in game, the flag needs to be repositioned. Unfortunately, the animated flag shader previewed earlier only works in the flag's previous position. So currently, the fighting standard bearer works fine in game, but is stuck with a static flag. I'll have to try and write a new version of the shader to work in the flag's revised position.

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:

Wait, so the ensign will fight and have the flag in his hand at the same time?  :eek:

Yup. And on horseback. He could also fire a pistol, but the reload animations would look silly so I'll only arm standard bearers with swords.

EDIT: I've run into a shader problem. To get a fighting standard bearer in game, the flag needs to be repositioned. Unfortunately, the animated flag shader previewed earlier only works in the flag's previous position. So currently, the fighting standard bearer works fine in game, but is stuck with a static flag. I'll have to try and write a new version of the shader to work in the flag's revised position.

Damn you are very good at coding. Hopefully you can pull it off

Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:

I wish I was a good coder. I'm just an amateur plodder. Hopefully it can be cracked by trial and error.

NPC99 said:
I wish I was a good coder. I'm just an amateur plodder. Hopefully it can be cracked by trial and error.

Trial and error has never let me down yet. If all else fails, there's always the forge where you could get some help with it.

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:

But you coded this by yourself, no? Im sure you will be capable of fixing it  :grin:

Latest in game fighting standard bearer test.

This flag shader's still not up to the standard of our unrigged one and needs some more work. As you can see, the flag doesn't look great head on or at acute angles, but I don't think I can fix that in this configuration. It looks best at lower speeds, so should be OK on foot. Putting the standard bearer on horseback was just a stress test. Smaller cavalry standards will probably work better and be more historically accurate.

It still looks very nice to me. Very few to no flag shaders for Warband/WFAS are perfect anyway. This tops most.

It just occured to me, something I wanted to see in Warband and especially WFAS from the moment I saw those pretty halberds.

Could you make castle and town guards hold their halberds like this? Oh man it looks so juicy for some reason. :lol:

lmlwlNnl.jpg

YourStepDad said:
It still looks very nice to me. Very few to no flag shaders for Warband/WFAS are perfect anyway. This tops most.

It just occured to me, something I wanted to see in Warband and especially WFAS from the moment I saw those pretty halberds.

Could you make castle and town guards hold their halberds like this? Oh man it looks so juicy for some reason. :lol:

lmlwlNnl.jpg

I agree those guards look great. I'm not planning to learn how to make animations, so it depends on those poses coming from an OSP. What mod was your screen shot from?

Nova Aetas.

Another mod called Tohlobaria has them as well, I think, done in their own slightly different way. I think they are indeed from an OSP though. I am not sure. Certainly Jacobhinds's animation pack has stances much like those, some of which I think you should include for the idle pikeman stance, and hopefully for guards holding their stuff like that.

These are the many stances that the pikemen have using that animation OSP that I captured a while ago (screenshot could be better and with more pikemen but tis all i have now.)
5AC96E62101428B8F1092AD9DBC93D28A3D31713
236A6701D59A9E9DE646D77B93CBE1F9BA4403E5

I don't know how one would make guards have those animations though, but it can't be too hard. I recommended those things for Nova Aetas and quickly enough the author worked his magic and those fancy court guards were the result. I imagine it can't be too difficult, and perhaps the author or authors can lend you the animation?

I'll check out Jacobhinds OSP. Also, Parrot's OSP of animations from Blood & Iron includes 6 idle stances for polearms. Maybe one of them will be suitable. I'll download it & see.

Edit - Jacobhinds pike_loop02 is the one.

wdA_T.jpg

I doubt it'll make the alpha version, but should be doable sometime thereafter. Added to my to do list.

Back
Top Bottom