SP Native [WB] Persistent Troop Identities

Users who are viewing this thread

Saving the village of Bazeck fom bandits:
N6OTF.jpg
Happened as soon as we spawned in. Also it said reinforcements had arrived for some reason (I had 97 guys with me, battle size set to 300).

Lol, thousands of hours of MB and I never noticed...

Seems like when you transfer guys who healed while garrisoned back into your party from the garrison it gives you all the "Huscarl _____ has recovered from his wounds" messages at once.

Edit: This is from the start of a normal battle:
1_2hC.jpg

Ok, I've made some progress. The save village quest issue was the result of a simple typo that is now fixed, script errors in sieges I believe are fixed too and I also found an issue with reinforcement waves that has been sorted out. I'll fix the recovered from wounds message spam next, which should be very easy (I should probably also add an option to toggle that off), then I have to try to figure out what's going on with those error messages in the troop viewing screen. That error from the start of a battle is hopefully fixed along with the siege ones already.

Along with all that, I've overhauled a bunch of code to make other changes easier going forward; fingers crossed that doesn't just create a bunch of new bugs (seems to work pretty well so far). The next update should be the one that fixes everything listed in the OP under "Known Issues".

I really really like all the thought that went into this and love the implementation so far (can't test it myself,  right in the middle of finals) but I can't wait to have a go at the source for this. Keep up the great work  :party:

Amazing work, great idea.
Can't wait for the source, seriously.

By the way, will there be any way to reward certain particularly successful soldiers who kill the enemy general\get the most kills\make some particularly impressive shot, in exchange for morale bonuses?
Or to maybe pay for the troops' funerals, also in exchange for some morale?

With a system in which party morale influences battle courage, this kind of things could work extraordinarily well.

Couple of things:

1: After capturing a town I left my men there and requested ownership of it. When I came back (less than 2 days later) their info and equipment had been reset:
RHF-J.jpg
The town had still not been assigned at this time.

2. I left a big stack of veteren archers in one of my towns. When this town was sieged I joined the battle. None of them were using the equipment they'd picked up, all had the standard equipment. Is this a known design limitation or a bug? (When I took them back into my party they were back to using the varied equipment they'd picked up along the way, info intact).

kraggrim said:
When I accept the mission to train some recruits up to top rank I get a warning message:
9uPTB.jpg

Yeah, that was expected, it's mentioned under "Known Issues" in the OP (last point). While we're on this way topic, the way I'm planning to handle that quest is to have it so that those troops you gain are unkillable as long as the quest is active and when you complete the quest you return the specific men that were given to you by the lord/king. If you fail the quest by not returning them by the time limit they revert to being regular, killable troops to prevent it being exploited.

Nikephoros said:
By the way, will there be any way to reward certain particularly successful soldiers who kill the enemy general\get the most kills\make some particularly impressive shot, in exchange for morale bonuses?
Or to maybe pay for the troops' funerals, also in exchange for some morale?

What sort of ideas do you have in mind for rewards? I think it's a neat idea, just not sure what I should reward them with. The funerals idea is an interesting one too; I think it could be extended a bit to where simply paying for a troop funeral gives a small morale boost and actually heading over to a deceased troop's home village to personally attend could give a bigger one. Maybe even some honour gain with the latter.

kraggrim said:
1: After capturing a town I left my men there and requested ownership of it. When I came back (less than 2 days later) their info and equipment had been reset:
RHF-J.jpg
The town had still not been assigned at this time.

Another matter to investigate :???:

kraggrim said:
2. I left a big stack of veteren archers in one of my towns. When this town was sieged I joined the battle. None of them were using the equipment they'd picked up, all had the standard equipment. Is this a known design limitation or a bug? (When I took them back into my party they were back to using the varied equipment they'd picked up along the way, info intact).

Yeah, this is a design limitation. For various reasons I can only give troops from one party all the correct gear and faces in battle. I might possibly have to deal with this by merging the two parties at the start of the battle and then figuring out a way to split them back appropriately at the end of it when it's your own garrison as the allied party. Either that or I'd have to make some huge changes to how battles are handled. Maybe when I release the source somebody more clever than I will figure out a way.

If I could just figure out a better way to assign faces in battles I wouldn't have this issue and everything could be much nicer.

MitchellD said:
Yeah, that was expected, it's mentioned under "Known Issues" in the OP (last point). While we're on this way topic, the way I'm planning to handle that quest is to have it so that those troops you gain are unkillable as long as the quest is active and when you complete the quest you return the specific men that were given to you by the lord/king. If you fail the quest by not returning them by the time limit they revert to being regular, killable troops to prevent it being exploited.
Ah apologies, I didn't read carefully enough. That certainly sounds like a good implementation of this feature!

Yeah, this is a design limitation. For various reasons I can only give troops from one party all the correct gear and faces in battle. I might possibly have to deal with this by merging the two parties at the start of the battle and then figuring out a way to split them back appropriately at the end of it when it's your own garrison as the allied party. Either that or I'd have to make some huge changes to how battles are handled. Maybe when I release the source somebody more clever than I will figure out a way.

If I could just figure out a better way to assign faces in battles I wouldn't have this issue and everything could be much nicer.
I see, just wanted to check. It was only noticable in this case because I'd just stored a big chunk of well-used troops there, so I was conscious of their regular equipment. Normally I don't think it will be much of an issue, the player will probably have their vets with them.

For the rewards, maybe some sort of honorific could be added to their name? Like a culturally appropriate prefix or suffix.
Or the possibility to add a nice top-tier horse/weapon/helmet/whatever to their loadout. An extra-decorative version of their (or your faction's) cultural helmet would be nice, make em stand out.

With the game being what it is, rewards could mostly be either equipment (masterwork or lordly items), money, or prisoners.
You could give them their own slave (from the prisoners in the party), or just pay them with some gold, maybe a couple of hundreds. This will give a large individual boost in morale. Probably the morale effect can be scaled in proportion with the leadership skill.

As for the funeral, give a collective morale + honour boost when visiting the deceased's village is certainly a great idea.

Seriously, this mod is without any doubt in the top 10 for the best concept ever.

edit: by the way, how are the names decided? Are there faction-based pools? If a mod introduces mercenaries coming from different places, will they take their names from a single list based on fac_commoners, or can they be differentiated and added?

3XBiO.jpg
Even something simple like this for your honoured warriors, just to differentiate them a bit. But done by someone skilled in texturing :smile:.
9m2TB.jpg
Edit: Doesn't work out too well in game, but you see what I'm aiming for. You'd have to hit that sweet spot between standing out and being overly gaudy.

Equipment as a reward definitely sounds like a great idea. Optimally I think decorative ones would be awesome, but as you say kraggrim, needs to be done by someone skilled in texturing and that sure as hell ain't me lol. Until then, I think the suggestion of masterwork/lordly ones is great. The slaves idea I'm not as keen on, but feel free to implement it when I release the source. Speaking of which, I'm starting full-time work in one week and won't be able to work on this so much, so I'm planning to release the source by then. I do plan to keep working on it when I have spare time, but I have no idea if that will work out. If I end up just disappearing, at least the source code will be there for others to pick it up and improve it. So expect next update with source code included on February 3rd.

Comrade Crimson said:
Images aren't working in the spoilers buddy.

Which images aren't working? Everything seems to be working to me.

Might be worth looking into OSP stuff for the reward equipment, there's probably suitable stuff floating around out there. I had another bash but maybe went a little too glam with this one...
15F1u.jpg
I quite like this one as a concept (though my execution is still lacking), still somewhat hard to spot at long-range though:
uYW_O.jpg

Seems to be working now.

What about custom titles or nicknames? Like if a guy has a lot of headshots from a ranged weapon he could be called "Headhunter" Or "Sharpshot" or something akin, or "Butcher" if he's slain a lot of guys. Just small nicknames to give troops for the deeds and legacy they create from time to time; could be randomized a bit.

So say I got a guy named Irwin Lancaster, and he's a sure shot with a crossbow having pegged like 30 guys in the head with the damned thing, he could be Irwin "Sureshot" Lancaster or some such.

Seems like you can't add new troops using Morgh's, the new troops don't equip anything in their inventory. I'm guessing you have to wait for the source?

Great mod by the way.  :grin:

Comrade Crimson said:
What about custom titles or nicknames? Like if a guy has a lot of headshots from a ranged weapon he could be called "Headhunter" Or "Sharpshot" or something akin, or "Butcher" if he's slain a lot of guys. Just small nicknames to give troops for the deeds and legacy they create from time to time; could be randomized a bit.

So say I got a guy named Irwin Lancaster, and he's a sure shot with a crossbow having pegged like 30 guys in the head with the damned thing, he could be Irwin "Sureshot" Lancaster or some such.

I like that idea. Definitely considering it.

Vorchevorsk said:
Seems like you can't add new troops using Morgh's, the new troops don't equip anything in their inventory. I'm guessing you have to wait for the source?

Yeah, would have to wait for source. New troops added with Morgh's won't work because of a whole lot of convoluted stuff that has to be done to make them all have the correct faces (it involves each troop having an identical copy that has its face codes changed before every spawn). I'm seriously considering having an alternative version of the mod that just doesn't bother trying to keep their faces persistent in battles because getting that to work limits so much other stuff. Already been over the issue of not being able to have troops in allied parties show up with the correct gear and all, that problem disappears if I abandon all the stuff to make faces work. I just wish there were a simple agent_set_face operation!

You could check if (neg|item_has_property, ":helmet", itp_covers_head), which will cut down on the operations but won't solve any problems. Alternatively generate only a small set of faces (for each faction/age group) and just hash each agent into them instead of storing all the faces.

Hi! I created an account to encourage you to continue this mod, it really is a good idea! I've been playing it for 2 days now, and two glitches stand out: my inventory items all disappeared twice now (in 95-ish in-game days) and the rents and income from enterprises don't add up to my new wealth, meaning when the day of the week comes for troop payments and rents / income collection, the budget screen pops up correctly and displays the proper budget report showing me what my new wealth should be, but when I click ok and come back to real time game, my wealth simply hasnt changed.

Back
Top Bottom