SP Antiquity [WB] Civilisation beta/proof of concept released

How complex should the economy be in Civilisation ?

• Extreme. I want to fine tune everything.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Quite. I want to tune some details in it.

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Not too much. Emphasis should be on war and the military.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Not at all. Just a few numbers will do. We are talking about warband, not economyband.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hm, technologies as in Military, Economy...etc? Or, do you  have something different in your mind?

Hmmmm, anything, really. That would be the answer to, for example: "what are the nords famous for ?" Could it be their armored warriors ? Their knights ? their armored longbowmen ? their fur trade ? Just a few major "techs" that the player could research/spy on/be familiar with if he goes study/spend time into a city/village of the faction. This is to give a way to gain some research points into some "faction oriented" technology.
Right now, the player will gain research points if he is smart, plus a few random points, evey 24 hours or so. I plan to add a few random events about this (you know I love random events), gain research points from the settlement (from building libraries or "research facilities", and/or dedicating some people to it). And it would gain a few points into a few random techs, depending on the place/faction he is spending some time into...

First to say, idea for your mod is absolutely brilliant :grin: ( I love those new features)...

My suggestions :grin:
What technologies the great factions of calradia would be well known for?

- Nords - fishing, salt, forging weapons, sea faring, linen
- Khergits - horsebreeding, (horse) archery , spices, pottery, hunting
- Vaegirs - fur trade, iron, archery, wool, archery
- Swadians - farming, forging weapons, flour, oil, meat
- Rhodoks - wine growing, forestry, sea faring, pikemen, hunting
- Sarranids - spices, horsebreeding, architecture, beekeeping, trading

Here you go, I wrote 5 for each nation... Hope it helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. a few points however:
Anything that would reimplace sea faring ? I don't plan to add sea stuff in civilisation/rigale
two times archery, is it because you want to put an emphasis on archery, or a typo ?

Tx again.

Good idea, sounds original. Are you planning on releasing the source as a OSP when your done?

We might have a place for this in perisno. Depends on what the team thinks.

Cernunos said:

Thanks a lot, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. a few points however:
Anything that would reimplace sea faring ? I don't plan to add sea stuff in civilisation/rigale
two times archery, is it because you want to put an emphasis on archery, or a typo ?

Tx again.

No problem, glad I could help :grin:

Anything that would reimplace sea faring ? Hmmm...  let's try with trading? :smile:

A typo, I didn't notice that :razz: , except that you can add stonework or something like that :razz:

Thane Delphi said:
I am a poor, messy coder.
It will be OSP, you will be able to do whatever you want with it. However, you know, some credits stuff.
But its not done yet, although I make good progress :smile:

Will this be similar to Custom Settlements for 1.011?
I don't know this mod. Civilisation emphasis is on researching "techs", all techs having an effect ingame (providing special troops, xp, gold, maybe reputation with some factions, raw and crafted items), so in the end, your "civilisation"/settlement will be very unique.

Cernunos said:
Thane Delphi said:
I am a poor, messy coder.
It will be OSP, you will be able to do whatever you want with it. However, you know, some credits stuff.
But its not done yet, although I make good progress :smile:

Will this be similar to Custom Settlements for 1.011?
I don't know this mod. Civilisation emphasis is on researching "techs", all techs having an effect ingame (providing special troops, xp, gold, maybe reputation with some factions, raw and crafted items), so in the end, your "civilisation"/settlement will be very unique.

Okay, thanks for the quick answer. Looking forward to this, good luck!

Thank you so much for all your support :smile:

I made good progress today.
I am very happy with the research/discarding feature. I used troops and parties to store stuff. I can't believe I created rigale without resorting to this. It would have made rigale so much more easy to code and bug free :sad:
However, it is very easy to add techs now, and use them in the research panel.
Next is fine tuning the discard/increased research difficulty feature.
Then, I will add troops to reflect the techs I already added (all troops/war oriented, no economy/culture techs yet), so there is a playable embryo of a mod.

Everythings work really fine so far :smile:

Added techs:
improved recruitment: increase the number of novice you can recruit in the settlement. Then, depending on researched techs, you can recruit various troops.
Curiosity: increase the amount of research points you get.
Spear throwing: recruit , well, spear/javelin throwers
Archery: recruit shortbowmen
Small shield crafting: base troops have a small shield
Farming: no effect yet. Will increase food output and provide the player with grains
Bee farming: no effect yet. Will increase food output and provide the player with honey
Light armor crafting: lightly armored troops can be recruited
Medium armor crafting: medium armored troops can be recruited
Heavy armor crafting: heavy armored troops can be recruited

Some issues:
apparently, some warriors do not equip their weapons. I want all spearthrowers to equip their spears, for example...

there is gonna be a frightening lot of troops, as every tech related troop has to be created.
For example, spearthrowers troop would come in
spear throwers
spearthrowers + small shield
spearthrowers + light armor
spearthrowers + medium armor
spearthrowers + heavy armor
spearthrowers + light armor + small shield
spearthrowers + medium armor + small shield
spearthrowers + heavy armor + small shield

moreover, all troops come in novice/seasoned/veteran/master

so, when I add great shields, iron working, pole arms use for example, this will exponentially add troops. Of course, its mostly copy pasting, but this can get tedious.

I might look into a possibility to equip/create troops (like choose armor/main weapon/secondary weapon/shield). I do not know if this exists already.

About poll:
I will finish civilisation as a standalone project, then adapt it to rigale, becaus both choices are pretty close.

I add a new poll: want me to finish everythings before release, or want a quick alpha for feedbacking, and having a test of the system ?

Next step will be fine tuning recruitment. I would like the player to be able to change the equipment of its troops, while maintaining the level (novice/seasoned....) So this will be a kind of reverse recruitment, where you can add troops to the recruitment pool.
Then, the basics for the economy (providing ressources from tech, like honey from bee tending...)

Cernunos said:
Some issues:
apparently, some warriors do not equip their weapons. I want all spearthrowers to equip their spears, for example...
By equipping spear you mean the throwing spears right ? You can set them as missile troops with tf_guaranteed_ranged or else:

Code:
("cf_equipment_on_spawn",[
	(store_trigger_param_1, ":agent"),
	(agent_is_human, ":agent"),
	(agent_is_active, ":agent"),
	(agent_is_alive, ":agent"),
	(neq, ":agent", 0),
	(agent_get_troop_id, ":troop_id", ":agent"),

(try_begin),
#### Add a check for the spear-throwing research 
		(eq, ":troop_id", "trp_peltast"),		
		(agent_equip_item, ":agent", "itm_javelin"),
	(try_end),	

(try_begin),
#### Add a check for the shield research 
		(eq, ":troop_id", "trp_peltast"),		
		(agent_equip_item, ":agent", "itm_small_shield"),
	 (try_end),	
############# Continue with additions 
]),

Interesting concept so far, good luck.

Thanks a lot Seek n Destroy, this will prove very usefull.

However, I am having a design issue with troops. I will have too many different troop types, and this will prove very time consuming, for a possibly small result.
So I am going for archetypal troops. However, I am looking for ideas here.
Here is what I have come with so far:
name of troop: required tech 1; required tech 2; required tech 3...
Peasant: nothing. armed with clubs, quaterstaff and stones
Peltast: throwing weapons
Marius legionaries: heavy armor;shield;throwing weapon
Hoplites: heavy armor; shield (hoplon...); polearm
Samourai: medium armor; mettalurgy; duel/honor
Longbowman: archery; woodcrafting
bow horsemen: horse riding, archery
light horsemen: horse riding; light armor
knights: horse riding; duel/honor; heavy armor; mettalurgy
middle horseman: horse riding; medium armor
heavy horseman: horse riding; heavy armor
bowman: archery; light armor
Crossbowman: Archery; engineering
Paviser: Archery; engineering; shield
Warrior: medium armor
Berzerker: two handed weapon: war religion
Barbarian: light armor
Varègue: two handed weapon; heavy armor
Zulu: polearm; shield; thrown weapon
Cataphract: polearm; heavy armor; horse riding
Huscarl: two handed weapon; medium armor; shield
Poacher: archery
Great game/monster hunter: archery, pole arm,thrownweapons,medium armor

So I am looking for "iconic" warrior, which classes are not above, and that could require some special tech or tech combination.

Any ideas/help welcome :smile:

Sure :smile:
I have been busy at RL work, so coding was going very slowly.
However, I am setting up the basics for the economy.
As "many" people want a beta release, I will release a mostly military beta of the mod (with a few other techs), so people can have a taste of how it plays, and maybe get some feedback and ideas.
The military stuff will be like what I proposed in the post above.
Some notice: "zulus" won't look like zulus. But the idea is to equip them like zulus, that is throwing javelin, stabbing spear (to try to imitate the "iklwa") and a large shield, with no armour.

Cernunos said:
Sure :smile:
I have been busy at RL work, so coding was going very slowly.
However, I am setting up the basics for the economy.
As "many" people want a beta release, I will release a mostly military beta of the mod (with a few other techs), so people can have a taste of how it plays, and maybe get some feedback and ideas.
The military stuff will be like what I proposed in the post above.
Some notice: "zulus" won't look like zulus. But the idea is to equip them like zulus, that is throwing javelin, stabbing spear (to try to imitate the "iklwa") and a large shield, with no armour.

Sweet! Can't wait to play this. Definitely going to have hoplites! Really great idea man, kudos to you Cernunos.

Just to make sure, so that you are not dissapointed, "hoplites" won't look like greek hoplites. This is just a name and a reference for troops that will be equipped with heavy armor/spear/big round shield/dagger.
Just like marius legionnaries won't look like marius legionnaries, but is a name holder for troops equipped with heavy armor/big shield/throwing spear/short sword.
Peltasts are a troop equiped with small shield, a dagger, and very light armor.

Of course, if the mod gains momentum, I might get some help to add these graphical modifications.

However, cosmetism has never been the goal of my mods (like rigale, or now civilisation), but really depth of play and increased world interactions and RPG feel.

And I am looking for help again, as I am really not a calradian scholar, could any of the troops below have a calradian cosmetic/effectiveness counterpart ? So that I can create troops in a more efficient way, instead of having to go through a list of equipment/troops, and trying to guess what would fit in what case .
My goal would be to copy paste the proper calradian troop into a civilisation one, with maybe a few minor modifications.

For example, what would be the calradian iconic horse riding archer ? So I can copy paste this troop , and rename it, and add it to the list of civilisation available troops. That would be a great time saver.

Back
Top Bottom