Was procedurally generated battlefields removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes. It now chooses from a selection of maps based on your location on the campaign map, applies the correct weather and time, and randomizes the location where you and the enemy spawn at.

So you gotta kite or chase enemies away from fiefs or the narrow areas or you end up in the horrible village map or the 'road' thing.
And God help you if you fight in Sturgai the ****ing trees obscure everything on screen.

That sucks. Procedurally generated battlefields have a lot of potential. I remember back in warband I used to lead enemies to areas where I would get the most advantage and then engage in battle. It limits the game and involves a lot more effort to actually design battlefields. Picking areas to fight should be part of the strategy.

That sucks. Procedurally generated battlefields have a lot of potential. I remember back in warband I used to lead enemies to areas where I would get the most advantage and then engage in battle. It limits the game and involves a lot more effort to actually design battlefields. Picking areas to fight should be part of the strategy.
As of right now I would guess the current implementation of battle maps are placeholders.

I enjoy it more. You can still pick if you want to fight in a field, forest, in snow, etc. but it also doesn't give you the awful mountain and hill maps in warband that were just unrealistic and almost impossible to fight on with any meaningful tactics

It just needs more variety and maybe even a 1:1 scale ratio of massive scenes relative to world map location. That would, in fact, be a lot of work though.

The only 2 issues I have are that:
  • because they aren't procedurally generated, you have situations where some scenes have it so that you spawn very very close to the enemy like the one with the big rock in the middle of the scene, or the everyday empire one where you can just easily camp the hill.
  • Mountains are the most fun battlefields because they have a massive plain most of the time and their scenes are HUGE compared to the actual plains scenes.

I think so. I actually like that I haven't found a battlefield that is nothing but steep grade hills that my horses have to float up. Warband sometimes got stupid with the vertical surfaces.

I was leading a conquest in the desert today and was spawned in a frest battle lol. There were no trees around. The following battle i was spawned on the grass battle field that has the big rock directly in front of where it starts you.

Why would you assume that
Unique Maps for Towns, Castles and Village: Although we plan to create unique maps for every town and castle in the game, it is a rather arduous process to create that many well designed maps and as such, different locations may share the same map during early access.

It's in the EA notes on steam....i just guessed since they are reusing battle maps in early access they fall under the early access guidlines of early access.

read daniel vavra's essay on potato cartography, whether terrain is procedurally generated or not,there needs to be parameters pertaining to scale so it doesn't look unatural and fake. geological and tectonic rules should be followed.

total war's terrain felt very flat at times, but that's because they followed 1:1 scale, however they did not have subdivide details in their topographic map layer, that usually comes from an artist's close handiwork which procedural generation simply cannot do.

total-war-saga-thrones-of-britannia-review_g9n5.1280.jpg

I think the current map set(all field battle maps) is just a makeshift, they've gotta be working on something similar to how it was in Warband but like a better version of it.

I think the current map set(all field battle maps) is just a makeshift, they've gotta be working on something similar to how it was in Warband but like a better version of it.
I really hope so, because the two or three plains maps are, by now, depressingly repetitive.

Frankly, I'd like to see Tactics play a far more active role in the choice of battlefield. As a quickly made up example, consider this implementation:

Attacking army gets +50 tactics added to its leader's score for being attackers. Defending army gets no modifier. Compare final Tactics score between the two, if anybody has notable advantage at the end, in case of AI they get assigned a map that is better suited to their army's composition and role (attacker/defender). If the "superior tactics" winner is a player, give a choice of maps (flat, river through, small hill, whatnot).

Basically right now it's impossible to recreate things like Agincourt, where the English pursued by superior French forces picked an advantageous defensive position (English win tactics comparison challenge!) - all the maps will be the same regardless of Tactics score.

Bonus points if reasonably high Tactics would also allow placement of makeshift battlefield obstructions (some stake lines, earth embarkments, or a shallow ditch to stop cavalry charge).

Don't see why it's a skill that should only apply to simulated battles at all, and even if pre-made maps are left in (which would be a real shame, as far as I'm concerned, because I actually liked Warband's randomized terrain and how it allowed infantry-parties to meaningfully defend against cavalry if they got kited into hills).

This was a thing in Rome: Total War way back in the day. The terrain where you met the enemy on the campaign map was the terrain you fought on. Granted there were certain areas where battles were next to impossible or broke the game like on a river where AI would all drown themselves, or in very high mountains and outside castles, where it just broke the game. For the most part though from experience you knew areas to avoid and could maneuver yourself into advantageous terrain on the campaign map for the imminent battle map that was sure to come even when being chased.

One would that think almost 20 years after Rome: Total War was released with procedurally generated battlefields that a similar game like Bannerlord 2 could improve and expand upon this concept. Twenty years guys! Instead TW shys away and even Creative Assembly, the maker of Total War games, have run away like frightened little children from this ground breaking and very difficult to tackle concept. Those guys that made Rome: TW had huge brass balls IMO. Probably one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom