SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Uhmmmmm... Where do you actually sell stuff? Because I've got my inventory full of expensive stuff but I cannot sell it anywhere, I can only go to that "smithy" but I cannot sell anything there  :???:

You can't sell stuff like velvet, furs etc. You're supposed to be able to exchange "toys" (weapons, etc.) but I don't know how you're supposed to get a stronger army (and thus beat Empire lords) without any way to gain money at all.
I was super hyped for this mod but honestly I don't think it's playable as Chaos right now, or at least I don't know how. You have a band of weaklings without enough money to even upgrade the ones that have gained experience, every party around has elite troops and there's apparently no way to get money. Also there's no battle continuation at all.

"Improving the graphics quality without affecting the gameplay or the performance" - Bannerlord dev

LOL U serious? I mean, Warband runs in my computer at like 40 fps and I have a crappy GT 705 (I'll be actually getting a GTX 980 for christmas) so it means that with those awesome graphics improvements the game will run the same way? Bull****, I don't believe that, it's way too good for it to be true.  :meh:

I wish it could be like they say

At the moment Grim Age SP is very simplistic. I can appreciate their attempt to keep the two factions lore-friendly and their decision to start on small scale.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure there exist some sort of currency in the Chaos Wastes, seeing how in the lore they apparently sack villages and townships for valuables. Velvet, pottery and gold or silver almost certainly have values (Sigvald the Magnificent clearly values gold) and so are certainly worth something in Norsca.
On the other hand I suppose if you sacrifice enough prisoners you will ascend into a Chaos Warrior and so will be able to recruit something better.

Edit: also the inability to modify the marauder's faces are disappointing, to say the least.

I just don't like the voices, I mean, they sound too calm, too "un-chaosy" I would say, and their VICTORY SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEAM is even worse, they actually sound like humans.

In the multiplayer version the voices are the same.

Also does anyone know how the full name of the file "jvd_crus.ogg"? It's just that it's my favorite battle music in the mod but I don't know it's full name sadly

EDIT: k I've seen that no one replied (Strange how actually no one said anything during the whole day) so I'll say it in a way you might understand it:

jvd_crus.ogg is a music file that the game uses in battle.

I want to know the full name of that file. jvd_crus is that name, but it's not it's full name, I want it's full name so I can search it in youtube. So yeah, if anyone knows a warhammer theme that has a similar name or that could be abbreviated like that then tell me.

So I've been playing around with Bretonnia with Birger's submod and I gotta say, they're damn solid. They're also very easy to use, in the sense that their tactics can be super easy to grasp, but they've also got some nice room for complexity. I had to ramp up the Surgery skill just so I don't cry every time some stupid Jezzail blows away a Grail Knight's skull, but other than that I've been having a blast, and I usually prefer armies richer in composition.

Anyway, I hope JargonDarot reads this next bit, because I went into a Skavenblight siege (as attacker) and there's a few things that I think could use some tweaking. First, there's a boat at the back of the attacker's spawn point, and its (un)boarding plank is way too high, even for the human-sized soldiers. Every round there were at least 10 units trapped inside the boat with no way of stepping out, and the Jezzail fire barely reached them, which meant waiting for quite a while after the battle was lost since the Skaven couldn't get into the boat either (yeah, didn't want to press retreat, but had to in the end).

I'd also like to suggest adding a third row of planks to the right of the main attacker path that is in front of the first wall with the steam generators. I tried the siege twice just in case it was a first-time malfunction, but it seems like it happens every time - a bunch of soldiers fall off the side and down into the water, where no one can reach them. They don't drown or anything, but stand underwater right at the top of the hill waiting for nothing. If adding a third row is too much of a problem, maybe you could consider adding a wooden rail fence protection along both sides of the path so the AI finds it impossible to jump into the water like an idiot. I didn't see any defenders fall, though, so I think it might be up to the initial mass of soldiers in the attack that just accidentally pushes some of them into the water. A bigger path might just push more soldiers into the water though, so I guess a wooden rail fence might be a better option, and I don't think it would look too much out of place.

I think I'll play the Brets for a while still, and then I might test another army few people have reported playing, like Araby... or has anyone played High Elves?

cpt_freakout said:
I think I'll play the Brets for a while still, and then I might test another army few people have reported playing, like Araby... or has anyone played High Elves?

Try Araby, please. They're also a faction I felt was mostly in a good spot and barely touched them at all.  :ohdear:

EDIT: Or the High Elves. I'm pretty proud of my work on the Shadow Warriors.  :iamamoron:

Do you mean in the base game, or the submod. I could play around with them for you if you mean the base game.

The grim age single player mods got me even more hype for the update, the new models and sound files feel excellent. Would probably be good to include the "sacrifice prisoners become a chaos champion" so chaos players can use both armor sets and make your huge model and imposing gear more than jsut for show.

I wonder, how many tris can the Phoenix Engine resist to run smoothly? Also I think that Araby needs some changes, they look way too much like in native.

anifreak said:
Does markas the wise ever change his stock of weapons or am I stuck with what I got rolled with?

No, he always sells the same stuff and if you sell stuff to him he will keep it but you'll have to repay it if you want it back

Birger Jarl said:
cpt_freakout said:

Try Araby, please. They're also a faction I felt was mostly in a good spot and barely touched them at all.  :ohdear:

EDIT: Or the High Elves. I'm pretty proud of my work on the Shadow Warriors.  :iamamoron:

You got it! I'll do Araby first, since that will probably be easier to set up because they get into various conflicts from the start. By the way, I don't know what you did to the Tomb Kings but in this playthrough they've conquered Skaven cities and got as far as Middenheim.  :shock:

mpf said:
Do you mean in the base game, or the submod. I could play around with them for you if you mean the base game.

I'm using the submod for now, but to be honest these factions weren't changed much by it, so I think it's safe to assume the feedback would be of use to both Birger and the devs.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to give some detailed feedback on the Bretonnian troop tree (warning: might be long). While it's very well balanced, there's a little 'something' that nags me in a way that the Skaven troop tree (also quite the achievement) didn't. With them, many of the troops had a very viable purpose beyond the linear growth scheme. So, for example, I found myself using lots of tier 1 Skaven Slaves as fodder cavalry stoppers, or the pistol-wielding tier 2 Skirmishers as close range 'bodyguard' protection for my long range guns, and I certainly didn't level up every Jezzail into a Ratling Gun. While I haven't played them, I also see that awesome versatility when facing the Empire and the Dwarfs.

What I'm trying to get at is that the Bretonnian troop tree is different in the sense that most of it truly is a race to the top. It does have one very clear instance where it isn't: the growth scheme from Man-at-Arms to Yeoman to Knight Errant. These three immediately connected units have completely different uses, and they all have great tactical value in themselves. Most of what remains of the troop tree, though, is very linear. The Knights line is more evidently so, but the infantry and archers are the same. I understand that's what Bretonnia is about, after all - the simplicity and elegance of the charge - but I think the army could be richer without necessarily compromising its straightforward nature.

What I'd like to suggest to give the army more depth without sacrificing its simplicity consists of two things: tweak weapon loadouts/stats, and maybe add a new foot skirmisher unit. So, for the first suggestion: from what I've seen, all of the infantry have polearms, but I think only the Veteran Men-at-Arms should have them. This would make the rest of the infantry weaker, yes, but it would also add the possibility of having different divisions at the troop tree level, instead of at the tactical, battlefield-based level. To compensate for the extra requirement for infantry apt at resisting enemy cavalry, the new skirmisher unit would make an entrance, with its own balance requirements (more on this later).

Regarding Knights, I also understand the basis for the linearity, but I think that Knights Errant should get maces and clubs exclusively, and no lances or swords. That would make them have a particular usefulness for which you could actually think of keeping an Errant contingent, as a sort of 'light-heavy-cavalry' that could fulfill very different roles to regular cavalry and, of course, Yeomen.
I think the rest of the Knights line should be kept as is, but maybe you could consider the heresy of making the Questing Knights wield two-handed swords, shields, and a single-handed sword. That would make lances an exclusive domain of Knights of the Realm and Grail Knights (and you'd want to plan your promotions to Questing and then to Grail so that you wouldn't lose the super Realm lance charges), while adding a bit of depth to the roster for when the terrain's simply not in favor of the cavalry. In this way, Questing Knights could conceivably be a better option to deal with rabble, while the Realm guys can easily break through tougher enemies, and combined, well, combined they would be as deadly as they are now, except the player could have more strategic options when building up the army.

Finally, the second suggestion would be to add a hunter-like unit that could grow immediately from the Levy Archer: it would end at tier 3, have basic leather armor equipment better than an archer's but not as good as the Man-at-Arms' armor (lol...), a short bow with regular arrows, a club, and a throwing axe. Ideally the unit would have high athletics (appropriate to the tier level, of course) so they could move around reasonably fast in the battlefield. My reason for coming up with this unit is that Bretonnian tactics should be built around cavalry, yes, but once your infantry's engaged there's little to do except keep mobilizing your cavalry and pray that the peasants die as slowly as possible to give you time to do stuff. By adding a support unit whose throwing axes could serve mostly to damage shields would counter the early lack of infantry polearms, while not being quite good enough to slaughter the lighter enemy cavalry either. While it would give infantry more of an edge, there's enough units out there with which the AI can easily deal with your skirmishers, so I don't think it would unbalance the essential on-foot weakness of the Bretonnian army, just give it more diversity.
Another point to make here is that since ranged units can be a pain in the Knights' asses, usually the simplest solution is to send your very heavy cavalry after them, instead of gloriously crashing into the infantry and other cavalry like they're supposed to. The skirmisher unit could cover that need to harass/distract ranged enemies (without being strong enough to fully neutralize them); while the Yeomen can actually cover this function very well, the way the Bretonnian army builds up on its strengths makes Yeomen both a necessity (they're very, very useful) and quite scarce (because of the growth line). This would relieve some of the pressure off the cavalry growth line as well as give the army at large more depth in composition without going into Empire/Skaven troop tree territory. It would also mean you could send off the skirmishers to divert ranged attention with a reasonable degree of success (and without worrying too much for casualties since they'd be tier 3) and enable more complex tactical decisions regarding your cavalry.

Right, sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps as feedback and is interesting enough for consideration. Do expect a similar one for Araby  :ohdear: :iamamoron: :dead: Cheers!

cpt_freakout said:
I don't know what you did to the Tomb Kings but in this playthrough they've conquered Skaven cities and got as far as Middenheim.  :shock:

In my game they conquered the entire goblin badlands and I think 80% of the pirates' kingdom, I think their campaign AI should be nerfed a bit because when I fight them tbh they're not THAT strong :/

And I mean because they pwned the goblins in like 2-3 months

Back
Top Bottom