Voice acting in Bannerlord?

Do you support voice acting and giving characters voices in Bannerlord?

  • I love it!

    Votes: 21 47.7%
  • I dont like the idea of it.

    Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I dont care at all

    Votes: 10 22.7%

  • Total voters
    44

Currently viewing this thread:

lolbash

Master Knight
WBNWVCWF&S
So I noticed that no one has brought the attention to this topic, but now we have voice acting in Bannerlord!

starts at 1:45


Oh, and dont forget the countless captain mode videos where you can see the player (in the same macho manly voice actor) giving orders in english.

So what do you guys think?

 

Rhugar

Sergeant at Arms
The series and it's success can in my opponion be traced directly to "I'll drink from your skull" and "that's a nice head you have on you shoulders" So yeah, voice acting is almost always good, unless they pick horrible voiceactors :razz:
 

Ask

Regular
As long as it doesn't limit the dialogue options too much then it's fine by me. Not the most important addition but it's probably a thing most games nowadays are aiming to have.

 

578

Banned
WBVCNWWF&SM&B
There will be no voice acting for the character, only grunts/screams in battle. Some important NPCs will have dialogue, but most will not. And it should stay that way.
 
578 said:
There will be no voice acting for the character, only grunts/screams in battle. Some important NPCs will have dialogue, but most will not. And it should stay that way.

What about some rondom charging cries given to individual troops every battle ?
Not sentences I mean, just ''Aaaa!'' sounds so they can use it while engaging enemy troops.
 

578

Banned
WBVCNWWF&SM&B
KhergitLancer80 said:
578 said:
There will be no voice acting for the character, only grunts/screams in battle. Some important NPCs will have dialogue, but most will not. And it should stay that way.

What about some rondom charging cries given to individual troops every battle ?
Not sentences I mean, just ''Aaaa!'' sounds so they can use it while engaging enemy troops.


Yeah, these are just adding to battle immersion, would not have a problem with that.
 
Voice acting should remain as it is, with the bandit taunts and whatnot (because those are extremely iconic), and the addition of battle grunts. Dialogue should stay text-based, imo, at least for the vast majority of NPCs. They say there will be some sort of campaign now, so maybe voice acting can roll with that.
 

BayBear

Knight
The level of effort required to get voice acting done right is one of those features that isn't worth the time in Bannerlord. I can't imagine the huge amounts of work it would take to properly execute voice dialogue in Bannerlord. It's challenging enough finding and perfecting voices for a linear story driven game, much less a dynamic open world with countless amounts of characters and dialogue scenarios. I'd much rather have Bannerlord dialogue in written text complimented by grunts, chants and witty one-liners like it is now than immersion breaking voice acting.
 

Dest45

Knight at Arms
WBVCNW
Voice acting is one of the worst things ever for RPGs. Only one thats done it right is the Witcher 3 but thats more of a open world story driven game than an RPG. Fallout 4 was decent but was severely limited in player freedom partly due to Voice Acting.

I love all the “milord?” And “its almost harvesting season” from Warband and hope that kind of stuff stays. Wouldn’t mind some of the NPCs from the main quest to be voiced(help establish their character a little more) but its best if its very limited and the player doesn’t have spoken lines. Our in-combat voice should be adjustable too like in ARMA.
 
BayBear said:
The level of effort required to get voice acting done right is one of those features that isn't worth the time in Bannerlord. I can't imagine the huge amounts of work it would take to properly execute voice dialogue in Bannerlord. It's challenging enough finding and perfecting voices for a linear story driven game, much less a dynamic open world with countless amounts of characters and dialogue scenarios. I'd much rather have Bannerlord dialogue in written text complimented by grunts, chants and witty one-liners like it is now than immersion breaking voice acting.

+1
 

Varrak

Baron
WBWF&SNW
I don't want TW to waste their time to voice acting in every single text. But;

> "Greetings, my lord"
> "I declare war on you!"
> "What would you like to build in your town?"
> "I wish to build a castle"
> (after battle lost) "Show mercy"

etc should have voice acting.
 

Looter

Sergeant Knight
WBNWWF&SVC
KhergitLancer80 said:
Havent they done the voice acting stuff ?
I remember a bald guy was threatening us in a gameplay video.

The initial tutorial questline will be voice acted but it's mostly sparsely voice lines here and there beyond that to my knowledge.
 

DanAngleland

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNW
How are you going to add voice acting with mods? I don't know what standard of recording equipment and editing software is needed to get both a good recording and retain that fidelity in an audio file that can be played in game, but certainly most people won't be skilled voice actors. So the average modder won't be a good voice actor either, which means they will have to coerce or hire (!) someone who is.

Voice acting is something that total conversion mods might need to disable a lot of, if the lines include names of people or places unique to Calradia. Replacing it with their own voice work is something I expect very little of, if any at all, from modders.
 

BayBear

Knight
DanAngleland said:
How are you going to add voice acting with mods? I don't know what standard of recording equipment and editing software is needed to get both a good recording and retain that fidelity in an audio file that can be played in game, but certainly most people won't be skilled voice actors. So the average modder won't be a good voice actor either, which means they will have to coerce or hire (!) someone who is.

Voice acting is something that total conversion mods might need to disable a lot of, if the lines include names of people or places unique to Calradia. Replacing it with their own voice work is something I expect very little of, if any at all, from modders.

The only way I can see voice acting being added through mods is through a paid mod, which i'm not sure if Bannerlord will have. It's also one thing to have voice acting in a mod, it's whole different story having voice acting that sounds and fits well. Any voice that doesn't fit well will severely detract from the experience. I feel like most people would skim the text and not wait for the voice acting to finish after hearing repeated dialogue a few times anyways. Unfortunately, full dialogue voice acting is something I don't see happening even as just an add-on mod to native.
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
DanAngleland said:
How are you going to add voice acting with mods?

and what happens when you are adding new dialog lines to a Native NPC? Having different voices would break immersion. In that case I rather just having normal text dialog for add-ons (mods).
 

Life_Erikson

Master Knight
M&BWBNWVC
As many have stated bofore: I think voice acting is great for battlecries, random chatter in towns and villages and also for phrases that are quite standard and come from random encounters ("I will drink from your skull"). Espacially those random lines of chatter in marketplaces and tavern might add alot. I'm thinking of the Gothic 1 and 2 games espacially. If you pick a limited number of one-liners well enough they don't get repetetive and give you the feeling of actual conversation going on around you.
But apart from that I sadly believe that we cannot get much more voice acting as characters and dialogues would be much too numerous in a game like M&B. It really is sad, because apart from facial animation and the fact that characters in M&B and in Warband looked a bit outlandish, the most atmospherebreaking thing for me was the lack of voice acting and people talking around you.

A limited number of main quests (campaigns maybe?) could potentially have full voice acting like shown in the video. But If they haven't planned that yet I would rather have the game without it then half a year later because all of that voice acting has to be done.
 

Harld V

Recruit
Why do we not have voice acting? I think it would make the game more immersive and give the people more emotion instead of silent robots.
 

Kehlian

Squire
Life_Erikson said:
As many have stated bofore: I think voice acting is great for battlecries, random chatter in towns and villages and also for phrases that are quite standard and come from random encounters ("I will drink from your skull"). Espacially those random lines of chatter in marketplaces and tavern might add alot. I'm thinking of the Gothic 1 and 2 games espacially. If you pick a limited number of one-liners well enough they don't get repetetive and give you the feeling of actual conversation going on around you.
But apart from that I sadly believe that we cannot get much more voice acting as characters and dialogues would be much too numerous in a game like M&B. It really is sad, because apart from facial animation and the fact that characters in M&B and in Warband looked a bit outlandish, the most atmospherebreaking thing for me was the lack of voice acting and people talking around you.

A limited number of main quests (campaigns maybe?) could potentially have full voice acting like shown in the video. But If they haven't planned that yet I would rather have the game without it then half a year later because all of that voice acting has to be done.

You are right, I haven't thought about that. For moddability sake, it would be better to not have VA :/
 
Top Bottom