Vikingr: Campaign

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turanien

Hwæt!

We have begun devising the beginnings of a continuous and open-to-all Vikingr campaign. Ideas are floating around now, not much has been committed to paper beyond knowing that we will see this venture lift off the ground.

Here is a precursory outline as to what we want to achieve with this:
    - Maintain an open, historical online campaign.
    - Develop the playerbase into an established community.
    - Give power and command of the factions to the masses, working in a somewhat diplomatic way.
    - Give you all a reason to play Vikingr beyond the norm of battle, raid and seige!

And some issues that I want addressed via the community here:
    - How often would you want to fight an organised battle? Once a week seems apt for my mind, given organisation and time commitments.
    - How would you suggest we organise and nominate the 'leaders' per se of each faction? We need to have a dedicated core to set-up and control the campaign.
    - I planned on having one over-large grand campaign map to show areas involved (including France, Scandinavia) to portray the size, is this OK?
    - In relation to the above; I then planned three highly detailed maps of England, splitting it into thirds. The campaign will be fought over these. Would you prefer to
      see one larger map (see the spoiler "Detailed Campaign Map (England)") How does it look on your screen? Would you be fine downloading an updated one
      every week?
    - Anything else? Concerns? Suggestions? Go for it!

And here are some framework rules created by King of Scotland. They are just an example of something in mind, they can be made much more detailed and balanced of course but we'll need input from players whom have done such things in the past (ala Risk, EUIII, table-top gaming etc...)

This is the basic ruleset for the Vikingr Grand Campaign.

1. - Factions

1.1 - Faction locations.
a) - There are three factions: Normans, Saxons and the Vikings.
b) - Normans will start at Normandy Northern France area. Saxons will have the English areas (Mercia, Wessex,Anglia) and Vikings have Sweden, Norway and the Danish Island.
c) Each area will have it's own clan or tribe with one or more towns.

1.2 - Joining a faction

Everyone needs to have Teamspeak to join a faction and must be able to take part of your region events.

a) - You need to fill this application to join a faction as a single person.

Ingame name:
Steam name:
Faction you wish to join:
Teamspeak:
GMT you live in:
Are you able to take part of an event when needed?:

b) - If you want to register your clan for the campaign, please fill this application.
NB - Only clan leaders can apply as a clan.

Clan name:
Member count:
Faction you wish to join:
Teamspeak:

c) - You can only join 1 faction and you cannot change it unless it's too crowded and other factions have too few players.

d) - All troublemakers and inactive people will be removed from the campaign.

e) - Once you join a campaign you must be there till the end.

2. Interacting on the campaign map

The campaign is turn-based. Each region gets 1 turn per week. The leader of the region has a right to use the turnpoint.

Costs of basic movements.

Moving to a region next to you: 1 turn.
Conquering  a region next to you: 2 turns.
Raiding a region next to you: 1 turn.
Sea battle (not sure yet): 1 turn.

3. Battles and raids

When a leader of the region has decided to attack someone he must notify the people and the leader of his target. Then they must agree on a date (Saturday 6pm GMT is the best?) and have a battle or a raid. If you want to conquer a region you must notify 2 weeks before the attack.

4. Winning a region.

Once you have conquered the regions, you have several options to choose from.

a)- You take the region to yourself and have more land.
b)- You are noble and let your opponents have region when they join your faction.
c)- You slaughter the prisoners and raid the region, leaving it empty and unable to conquer for some time (not sure how long).

4.1 Losing a region.

When you have lost your region, you are captured by your enemies as a prisoner.
But even then you have some options.

a) Join the enemy faction.
b) Buy your freedom (would have some sort of money system?)
c) Leave the campaign yourself.
d) Demand a rematch (rare chance, only if the attacker agrees)

5. Winning the game.

In order to win a campaign, you must conquer all the regions with your faction.

6. Extras.

6.1 - Money system
You can earn money by raiding and when you encounter the battle, you have more money to buy equipment. (Unsure.)
6.2 - Ship battles
When 2 hostile ships meet in the middle of a water, a battle will occur on sea.

Nice!

About the commanders of regions, I think they should apply here and make an application, something like this:

Name : King of Scotland
Steam : themehike
Desired faction/region:Normandy
Country (GMT): +2
Why do you want to lead: Cause I like Normans and I have experience in leading.
Are you active?: Yes, play many times a day and communicate even more.

This sounds great. I think for maximum activity and performance of leading the campaign there needs to be about a handful of leaders/coordinators for each faction, as people have their own lives and this shouldn't feel like a chore, but a fun and exciting experience. That way, the faction coordinators can debate among themselves about future actions, or lead and take action when other coordinators are not present.

I for one wouldn't mind being a coordinator of the Vikingr (the King of Norway himself!), and it would be ideal to have some people to do this with me as I'm 100% sure I won't be able to give attention to this all the time, like it properly requires. Of course some of the coordinators can focus on the "big picture", devising strategies of future battles and how to proceed on the campaign, which is what I would prefer, while other coordinators focus on trying to be present for all important battles and lead the men personally while providing tactics. I'm not a master tactician myself in this game when it comes down to the real deal but I could probably help out in how the campaign unfolds, sure, even though I'd try to be present in all battles I can.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Excellent. Incase you need custom scenes, I can consider doing a few. :smile:
A boat scene would be nice. Like when two ships counter each other at sea.

And also, something like a beach, just like after landing somewhere you must fight for the location.

King of Scotland said:
But there would still be 1 main leader that makes the decisions.

Also, Teamspeak is required for everyone to take part.

Nah, a council is much more appropriate for this sort of thing in my opinion, it needs a lot of attention. Besides, there's not advantage to a single main leader. I hope it's not a way of trying to retain all power and sound important mate, that's not what this is about or needs at all, it needs flexibility and chilled people to discuss points of view, it's something that affects all players, and even if one person could control their faction singlehandedly it still would be far from optimal, what one wants might be very different from what the majority wants, hence a council system is better so different perspectives can be discussed. This is a game after all, not medieval Europe, the point of leaders is mostly to manage/direct and coordinate the course of campaign and lead people in battle.

And nobody dissed Teamspeak. :razz:

You got me wrong. I support the council idea with all the counts and  barons for an example.
They all work together and give ideas, plans etc.
But there will be only 1 person capable of making important moves like attacking or such.

King of Scotland said:
You got me wrong. I support the council idea with all the counts and  barons for an example.
But there will be only 1 person capable of making important moves like attacking or such.
I can support that if the important move is agreed upon beforehand by the council. If it's a sort of emergency I'm sure there would be no problem in launching an attack but I think the core group of responsible people should, most of the time, be consulted and the decision based on what every one of them, or a large majority, agrees upon.

I have no problem with the "Leader" title for roleplay purposes but again, in order for everyone to have as much fun as possible, campaign logistics should be decided as a group instead of one individual, even if he does his job well.

Looking good
HarkonHakoon said:
King of Scotland said:
I can support that if the important move is agreed upon beforehand by the council. If it's a sort of emergency I'm sure there would be no problem in launching an attack but I think the core group of responsible people should, most of the time, be consulted and the decision based on what every one of them, or a large majority, agrees upon.

I have no problem with the "Leader" title for roleplay purposes but again, in order for everyone to have as much fun as possible, campaign logistics should be decided as a group instead of one individual, even if he does his job well.

Indeed.

King of Scotland said:
Die Slow And Pain said:
Spenny said:
Scottish/pictish faction of some sort for the campaign please.. otherwise no thanks
This is not a place to shout out a faction. The OP asked for an opinion and help.
I don't like to read what people want.  I just selfishly post what I want and hope I get it. 

Reading basic outline I would drop money system, I think it should not be second strategus from crpg, but rather place where you and your warband conquer england for sheer joy of combat and hard-earned victory, besides money system tends to either create imbalances or have no real impact on gameplay, so I would not bother with it, just give equal chances to every faction in every battle, play more tacticaly than in random game and have fun.

I would definitely like to nominate myself for leader of the Saxons, my clan as Saxons, and the use of my server for smaller events.

Clan name: Saxon Chosen Swordsmen
Member count: 12
Faction you wish to join: Saxons
Teamspeak: Yes

I think the best thing to have would be a council with a designated secretary or chairman to oversee these councils.

Garrett_ said:
Reading basic outline I would drop money system, I think it should not be second strategus from crpg, but rather place where you and your warband conquer england for sheer joy of combat and hard-earned victory, besides money system tends to either create imbalances or have no real impact on gameplay, so I would not bother with it, just give equal chances to every faction in every battle, play more tacticaly than in random game and have fun.

A'ight. Agreed...

Also to make it fair, the Normans should be given 2 more territories, possibly breaking it into 3 provinces (Normandy that is)

2. Interacting on the campaign map

The campaign is turn-based. Each region gets 1 turn per week. The leader of the region has a right to use the turnpoint.

Costs of basic movements.

Moving to a region next to you: 1 turn.
Conquering  a region next to you: 2 turns.
Raiding a region next to you: 1 turn.
Sea battle (not sure yet): 1 turn.

Possbily add "If all factions have taken their turns for the week then the next weeks turns will begin" this can give time to arranging battles sooner and stops the long wait period if people just "Move to a region". All that needs to be marked is the dates.

And those who fail to respond within the week automatically loose their turn.

4. Winning a region.

Once you have conquered the regions, you have several options to choose from.

a)- You take the region to yourself and have more land.
b)- You are noble and let your opponents have region when they join your faction.
c)- You slaughter the prisoners and raid the region, leaving it empty and unable to conquer for some time (not sure how long).

Needs clarrifying, possibly just keeping it simple to just conquering the territory (seen as there is no other system base at the moment). I think there was a little future planning to this but it needs to be kept simple, the same with the movements, just keep it to moving and invading otherwise you may turn the game boring and elongated for too long.

4.1 Losing a region.

When you have lost your region, you are captured by your enemies as a prisoner.
But even then you have some options.

a) Join the enemy faction.
b) Buy your freedom (would have some sort of money system?)
c) Leave the campaign yourself.
d) Demand a rematch (rare chance, only if the attacker agrees)

Think this was thought ahead of time, seen as there is no money system then capturing people would be rather unnessesary, possibly just giving an army respawn to another region and forfeiting their turn to do so. Once again keeping it simple and easier to manage without too much stress.

What will be key is to creating a campaign that is simple, engaging and yet rewarding. A faction must take into consideration their moves in contrast to the enemies... I would also appreciate some form of historical realism about this campaign beyond the "We come to burn your house down..." I'm going to head to bed now and write the 'rules' down as per my opinion - will post them tomorrow morning.  :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom