Vikingr 0.98 Download & Update

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Éadríc said:
A great improvement, dear Mocca & Bassa! Thank you for this exccellent work!

I wanted to add that I also really enjoy the short black out that one can get when hit by a horse (and also when hit by a mace on the head, I think).
Yep, happens with maces too. It's pretty awesome.

I wonder if dying shouldn't be made a bit more traumatic now that being knocked over is pretty scary.  :lol:

Fantastic patch. I love the new helmets, maps, graphics and dynamics and much more. Thank you!

I kind of like the new single edged sword!

You guys totally need to make the old kite shields the same as the new ones, with the strap and everything. They look great. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. For 0.98b!

Don't think removing the ability to block with spears is a good idea at all. Rest of it I really like but making spearmen even more vulnerable so that there is no point to taking a spear instead of a 1H+shield except when facing cavalry or the odd chance some chaps might stick together - fine in thought, not so in practice. Might be there to promote team work but it leaves the spearmen having to make sure they're with a 1H+shield user all the time rather than the other way round - the chap with the 1H weapon can still block when his shields gone but the spearman is stuffed if his does - leaves you with the choice of try and fight back with the spear whilst you're being smashed with side-swings or make yourself vulnerable by drawing your back-up weapon. It's situational I'll grant you, landing a kick might buy you enough breathing space to draw a secondary weapon but if you miss that can leave you vulnerable. By and large if the spearman doesn't stick with the 1H chaps he's going to find himself in hot water.

It still doesn't address the spear being a weapon taken by the few instead of the many. These utterly deadly weapons should be everyone's first choice, not something the oddballs like me choose to carry.

Other than that the patch is fantastic. Oh and thanks for including the Harras shield & banner  :grin:

well, first of all, you shall buy a knife so on close range you do not have to be smashed with ax till your shield breaks. and second of all, If you feel like your shield is gonna crack, RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE and let somebody else deal with your foe, then just return and stick your spear into his uncovered back as soon as you have a chance :grin:

its easy, you just have to learn act more cowardly :grin:

I think not being able to block with a spear is great. They're not dueling weapons. If someone gets past your spear head and within your comfort zone, you should be drawing out your side weapon.

Yes, everybody used a spear. In formation.

I love the changes, all! Thanks to you Developers, it is a really great new version of our beloved mod. I hope that now the focus of more players find this good work here and let more people grow to regulars.

They can easily be used as duelling weapons and even when an opponent gets up close you shift your grip further towards the head and jab it at their face - because you're lifting the haft up over your head, to avoid it striking/hitting the ground, it's a lot easier to strike into their face/upper body over the shield they're carrying. You can fight 1-1 with a spear just as easily as with a sword or axe or Dane axe. The main difference between reality & in-game is that in reality you will be worried about approaching a spear because it's a razor sharp tip on the end of an 8'-10' wooden pole that can jab at you whilst you have to get closer to it to get at the chap behind it & a half-decent spearman will nail you where ever your shield isn't covering - sword arm, shoulder, knee, shin, even a good thump to a helmet will stop an opponent in their tracks. Of course this concern about approaching razor-sharp death being waved in your face can't be replicated within the game.

As for being cowardly in-game - often you don't have a chance to turn & run because as soon as you turn, BAM! slash across the back. If you have a fellow with an axe/sword closing on you you won't have enough time to accelerate to get away from them.

Don't worry chaps, I know the forté & foible of the spear in this mod, it's been my primary weapon since I first played Vikingr nearly 2 years ago & was the weapon I primarily trained the Fyrd of Lewes in the use of. I've also used them as a Dark Age re-enactor so it's not as if I've never even seen or handled one.

I'll have to agree with Raper *cough* Rapier there. When you get engaged in 1v1 you get half a chance to pull out a secondary weapon, much less run away, provided you give a well placed hit to the balls. And even IF you somehow manage to turn around without getting your backbone slashed in half, you're most likely to run into another lad, willing to bury their axe into your face-bone.

On the other hand, it's nice to see spears got nerfed, even in that way.

Regín Harðraða said:
I'll have to agree with Raper *cough* Rapier there. When you get engaged in 1v1 you get half a chance to pull out a secondary weapon, much less run away, provided you give a well placed hit to the balls. And even IF you somehow manage to turn around without getting your backbone slashed in half, you're most likely to run into another lad, willing to bury their axe into your face-bone.

On the other hand, it's nice to see spears got nerfed, even in that way.

To be honest, if I had the chance to chose between a lets say 2,50 meter long spear and a sword, I would definitely chose the spear. Its nearly impossible to deflect a powerfull spearstab with a sword or axe - And even if you get to deflect the first stab, the spearman can easily just stab you another time, and that from a secure distance. Plus when the two opponents are in a binding (when their weapons touch each other (idk how to call it)) the spear gives you a huge advantage because you have a bigger distance between your hands than a swordsman, wich gives you the possibility to simply press his sword and swordarm away. The same can done with the shield if the shaft of the spear is a stiff one. slashes with a spear get underestimated often, too. A spear isn't more than a long knife on a stick, and you can use it like a knife. And because you have such a big leverage with the spear, you can make fast and precise slashes and cuts to your opponents hands, feet or face. The length of the spear gives it extra speed when using it to slash. That's why I think spears should do less stabbing damage (as much as seaxes for example) and more slashing damage. At the moment a slash ith the seax is more painfull than one with a spear.
I hope you could follow me, regards.

I would have to disagree with you there, regarding 'swing' & 'thrust' damage. The great advantage of a spear thrust is that it concentrates your bodies power into a tiny area and is the fastest & easiest attack to land. A swing with the spear can be useful but will do far less damage as the power starts to diminish halfway up the haft - for it to gain enough momentum to do some damage you will need to make it a wider swing which increases the time between starting the attack and landing the hit. The worst thing of all about swinging a spear is that it commits the cardinal sin of any thrusting weapon - you take the point off of the target, thus you stop threatening them. Doing that is just begging for your opponent to put your spear haft into a bind with their weapon and close quickly on you, pushing the spear haft away from them as they close so you can't bring it to bear - I've done it with my small hadseax and it really does ruin a spearmans day. Always keep the point threatening the target at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom