SP Viking Conquest Balance Mod 13

Users who are viewing this thread

The mod plans look amazing Ryan. Really excited about the future of your mod, that huge map looks like amazing fun.

I’ve never done any warband map modding, so not sure how big they can get, and to what extent you are expanding out vs zooming out. How will the scale of your Britain/Ireland compare to the current VC one? Relatedly, what density of towns/castles/villages do you plan on using?

If I recall correctly my British isles ended up around 2/3rds the size of the ones in VC vanilla.

The picture used for the factions map is a screenshot of the minimal from the map editor, I will try and get a good in game shot sometime this weekend. As I have placed alot of the vanilla towns and rearranged them for the new factions.

For the density I plan on staying roughly in line with what VC vanilla had. With some thinning maybe in Ireland, depending on how the AI handles the area. As for the mainland I want to stay pretty close to vanillas density, and as historically accurate as possible.

That sounds seriously epic Ryan! sounds like it might be overly ambitious tho. I personally prefer more focused/polished factions and campaigns than sheer quantity.

So my issue with coming back and starting a new VC campaign is enterprises. Its basically the best and only way to become a lord/king in this game is to first buy every enterprise, as there is not downside and its much less accessible to do once you are fighting faction wars. which if you've done once, it doesn't really play differently a 2nd or 3rd time and is very tedious and has no interesting gameplay decision making. there is no limit/downside to owning one in every town, even if you lose income from some due to wars.

So I see Tingyun recomends hardcore budget, but I'm tempted to do the opposite and go beginner but NOT buy enterprises at all. we'll see how that will play out, no idea if that will be harder or easier tbh than hardcore with enterprises. but I would like to suggest this mod or future mods should attempt to balance longterm ecconomy around not owning every enterprise, and instead removing or limiting enterprises in some fashion in order to multiply fun.

Banok said:
So I see Tingyun recomends hardcore budget, but I'm tempted to do the opposite and go beginner but NOT buy enterprises at all. we'll see how that will play out, no idea if that will be harder or easier tbh than hardcore with enterprises.

Great idea. It will be harder with your houserule (VC budget setting only changes troop upgrade costs, it isn’t a very drastic effect on the game), as lack of enterprises will make the army size you can support much more tied to your fiefs and success in looting, forcing you to operate much more strategically in when you leave troops garrisoned for reduced upkeep vs take them with you.

Personally I have a similer but less restrictive rule—I let myself purchase 3 enterprises, and require that each be a different type.

Banok said:
but I would like to suggest this mod or future mods should attempt to balance longterm ecconomy around not owning every enterprise, and instead removing or limiting enterprises in some fashion in order to multiply fun.

The economy should (in my opinion) work better here with no or limited enterprises.

I think you and I have similar preferences—I dislike games having a long grind followed by an invincible steamroll period, and I love instead having meaningful strategies trade offs and limited resources throughout the game. Restricting enterprise use will achieve that for you, and your army upkeep will have to be strategically planned around, possibly some periods hunting with a smaller group while letting the bulk enjoy lower garrison wages and ensuring you get more loot, interspersed with campaigns where you take the large army out to conquer. You will also have to rely more on fief income, creating a more sensible progression to your rise.

Anyway, on the idea of restricting enterprises or rebalancing them—I actually considered doing that a great deal. Somewhere around 5.0 or 6.0 I put doubled enterprise costs into my test build, then realized that would just prolong the grind. I then started messing with how upkeep and production works, but ended up abandoning it.

My reason was partly to devote time to other aspects, but mostly I began to feel like I was limiting a certain play style that was opt-in for players (enterprise grind), which would potentially make things less fun for those who enjoy it while not being needed by players who can choose to avoid it anyway.

I’m not sure I was right about that, it’s a murky design principle to follow. For example, I did reduce the insanely high sale prices for gear at bandit camps/storyline merchants  (the code originally did not include the new merchant types VC added to the equipment discount code, which led to the crazy high prices, so I fixed that). Arguably I was limiting an opt-in play style there, though I did a lot of other things to preserve and enhance a bandit style play through, so I thought it made sense.

So basically, I think if I had had the time to make enterprises more fun, I probably would have nerfed them as well, but I didn’t ever devote enough time to do that.

Anyway, sorry for the long musing sort of post. Basically, I think you will have a lot of fun restricting enterprises with your house rule.

Perhaps a limit that you must be a noble of the same kingdom as the town's Lord to own an enterprise there. Losing not just fiefs but enterprises also would make it less automatic for me to rebel and make my own kingdom.

Pode said:
Perhaps a limit that you must be a noble of the same kingdom as the town's Lord to own an enterprise there. Losing not just fiefs but enterprises also would make it less automatic for me to rebel and make my own kingdom.

This is a most intriguing idea.

Yeah I was thinking about best way to limit such as requiring being part of faction. but I was leaning on you losing completely enterprises in factions you are at war with, investment reset to before you bought one.

this sounds a bit extreme but it means you can't just faction hop enterprise everywhere, there is a practical limit on how many enterprises you want to buy. it makes some logical sense as if you are a vassal of wessex and chippenham is besieged you have a very strong incentive to defend your factions territory. further if your faction expands then that benefits you also. in this scenario maybe the initial cost should be a bit lower even.

it does mean joining a faction you plan to abandon later for you own kingdom would be harder but that should be a harder path than pure vassal anyway.

ps; no idea how to implement but was assuming since there is already a trigger to temporarily remove income, then it should just be 1 change to that to reset the enterprise (and maybe prevent buying new one if you sneak into city at war with).

edit; sorry my spelling is atrocious, cant even spell chippenham my actual birthplace.

Banok said:
Yeah I was thinking about best way to limit such as requiring being part of faction. but I was leaning on you losing completely enterprises in factions you are at war with, investment reset to before you bought one.

this sounds a bit extreme but it means you can't just faction hop enterprise everywhere, there is a practical limit on how many enterprises you want to buy. it makes some logical sense as if you are a vassal of wessex and chippenham is besieged you have a very strong incentive to defend your factions territory. further if your faction expands then that benefits you also. in this scenario maybe the initial cost should be a bit lower even.

it does mean joining a faction you plan to abandon later for you own kingdom would be harder but that should be a harder path than pure vassal anyway.

ps; no idea how to implement but was assuming since there is already a trigger to temporarily remove income, then it should just be 1 change to that to reset the enterprise (and maybe prevent buying new one if you sneak into city at war with).

edit; sorry my spelling is atrocious, cant even spell chippenham my actual birthplace.

I like what your saying. That would be the most realistic way to prevent enterprises from being OP, they would still make you filthy rich, especially if you help your faction grow. But then you have the 'neutral trader 'playstyles that would suffer.  But historically did outsiders have any land rights in early medieval Europe? You probably had to be a Freeman of that culture/kingdom to even get the approval from the local government to buy land.

Norse trader: "Lord mayor, may I have permission as a peaceful trader to buy land for a business near your fine city?"
City mayor: "I can't sell a Norseman land in a Saxon city"
City Lord's: "peaceful, pffft"
City mayor:  "guards, seize the warmongering Viking threatening to take Saxon land"
Norse trader: "wtf?"

Whenever I try and think about these things I like to try and play out such scenarios in my head to just try and think, how would they handle this back then.

Anyways...
I'll be posting some images later trying to show the map density to help give Tingyun a visual of what to expect in Europa 871. Been working on improving the map for playability, unfortunately making some areas completely hideous, but I went with a less dense vertice count to make the map stable. Iirc instead of generating at the normal setting I reduced it quite a bit which made the map sit at 170000 total vertices. After I get a handle on the mesh tools, I will try and decimate it down to a nice playable 120-130k which would be acceptable if your computer can handle VC vanilla. But I don't have any current problems so we will see. The map will not be as pretty as VC vanilla but it will be as pretty as I can make it :p

Screenshots of Map (map is WIP):
South Ireland (feels Very over populated)
ud2OhGI.jpg
Wessex
Ds9f91u.jpg
Middle England and Wales
ALnIV8X.jpg
North Ireland
ZP6qNuA.jpg
Northumbria and Alba
zbCeuI8.jpg
The Norselands
9aehNUb.jpg
Frisia and East Anglia now The Danelaw
HEOYUdU.jpg
The port of Dorestad
88JXI8r.jpg
More random pics
egnA1en.jpg

C3UykJg.jpg

ldn5zCE.jpg

2n3tvti.jpg
Standard travel showing FPS
U7sHM9y.jpg
Fast travel showing FPS
qHiINnz.jpg

Overall Ireland is over populated using the vanilla layout, while England and the Norse kingdoms feel okay
Thanks again Tingyun for letting me use your Post. The map will probably be the longest part of getting the mod to a playable state.

Cool stuff Ryan. Nice new name for your mod. As ever, I am really excited about your work and look forward to playing it.

On map size and scale—remember that you can always adjust the “get_party_speed” function in the module scripts (well, I think it is named that, or very close to that anyway). There is one for land speed and one for naval speed (naval is near the end), and a couple of places within each that need adjustment.

Balance Mod’s version of those two has the speed ultimately divided by 2 compared to vanilla VC—you can use winmerge if you need to to see the exact adjustments (each has to be changed in a couple of places to get everything working right).The /2 is to scale the VC map realistically to real world Britain. A similar adjustment is done to spotting distance in module.ini

Basically, aside from visual appeal, changing map size vs changing travel speed/spotting distance multiplier  are mostly equivalents (a few other things like rest distance from villages are exceptions, but mostly unimportant).  From that perspective, vanilla VC’s Britain was 1/4 real world area and 1/2 real world lengths, and changing the travel speed/spotting distance with 1/2 modifiers made Balance Mod’s map realistic size, without changing map size.

So some of that was probably obvious, but my point is that as long as you keep north south distances in line with east west, then I think you should always pick whatever map size helps playability and looks best, and that includes shrinking the map as much as needed.

Ultimately, you will also face the sort of, Balance Mod vs 1257ad choice, ie realistic vs jet air travel speeds on the map. Or the vanilla VC approach, a compromise between the two.

Personally, given your current density I would go for the realistic approach to scaling, as you will have enough going on in each area for the AI lords to effectively fight other factions and make the game interesting. If you were to drastically reduce detail/density, then you might have to go for the fast speed approach, but you are going to have a lot going on in each location and if a player does decide to travel form one end of the world to another it is going to feel quite epic and interesting.

But another path is to maintain 2 versions, one for realistic speeds and one for fast speeds. I have done that with Balance mod, and I think it was the right choice, as although the realistic speeds is the heavy favorite, some 25% or so of players still download the faster speed version, so some people certainly enjoy having those speeds available. It isn’t too hard to maintain both—about 5 minutes extra work per release to get the files ready. Of course, even then you will have to pick one to be your main testing version and default download.

current "dane axe"

jUXx48g.png

YrKlGuB.png

long war axe (polearm) from native I've replace it with

jDFCh0A.png

kllLQXO.png
I'm not against idea of having dane axe troops but that troll axe in VC looks AWFUL, its so long with such a tiny axe head. Plus the stats do not seem to match the model length, the two handed animation with something that model makes it look even more stupid.

So even tho I'm not really even using ox rekkr troops I decided to waste time modding it. Above is the "long war axe" from native, the "long axe" looks even more like the historical real thing but is a bit shorter (120 vs 125). polearm animations have less reach than 2 handed but generally look less retarded. (iirc polearm is about -22 reach so 125 length polearm is just over 100 I think)

vSRBK0G.png

I've pumped the speed up a bit also, but since it now has effectively less reach than god champ sword its still not especially worth using. Not a fan of the champ sword either tbh tempted to mod it out, of troops at least. its a nice looking but way too huge model, no one is swinging this with 1 hand;

4fPkXaU.png

then all the other "two handed" or rather 1.5 handed weapons in the game are all trash tier as well as looking quite dumb imo.

PS; I also changed all bolts/arrows back to "flying_missile" from native so I can actually see where my shots are landing without getting eye strain!! archery is still not worth it though even with best bow and 9 pd, partly due to armour pd penalty.

Sounds like some very interesting changes Banok.

It seems probably ok the Dane axe doesn’t match the two handed swords on plain stats, as it’s main advantage, especially in troop equipment, is the axe shield break bonus. Sort of inevitable that the player will end up finding it subpar for their own equipment, since players generally avoid hitting shields.

If you like I’d be happy to add your submod to the optional downloads on nexus and ModDB, for players who would like to try these changes.

If I ever release a future version, I’d also be interested in exploring incorporating some of your changes into the main mod. But a new version seems very unlikely at this point, and probably won’t happen unless the VC devs release a new patch themselves and I need to release a new version to integrate their fixes.

Yeah I understand, modding is a very thankless task I gave up maintaining my total war mods in the past due to updates. but if you do a new version I would give suggestions and feedback.

If I had the time I would make a submod with tweaks such as changing the featured longbow to welsh longbow and giving britons the best archers  :lol:. I get that danes are "da best" but I prefer the "thrones of britannia" approach were there is a little more flavour to each.

Anyway I love VC but any year now bannerlord will release, hopefully it will have a good modding scene and I will have the free time to make something there.

Hi Banok,

I actually just meant the tweaks you descrbed (changed Dane axe/arrows) that you had already made for your own version. Sounds interesting enough that I’d love to post your tweaks as an optional download. But totally understandable if you’d rather not.

I know it doesn’t seem like you’ve changed much yet, but most of the optional downloads I post are pretty minor changes, but that result in a big difference for some people’s enjoyment. The Dane axe animation has bothered a lot of people in the past, so I am sure some people would love to have that tweak.

All you need is one download, the main 10.0 version.

It is an archive with 30-35 text files in it, copy those files over into your Viking Conquest directory overwriting the original files, and you can play.

All other files are optional stuff. I don’t use any of the optional addons personally, but people like different things and I do my best to assist.

Well,playing it for some time now,well done man.
Btw in some future updates can you add more things ?
For example to steal horses,it would be awesome
And would be possible one bridge between Frisia and Denmark?

Hi Viking AllFather,

Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying the mod. Main development is done, but I will keep all suggestions in mind if I ever get back to modding more extensively.

Looks like there will be an 11.0 after all, as the VC developers released a beta update recently.

This may be a long time out though—we need to wait for the Beta VC 2.049 to become an official release, and then the module system to release for the update as well (which can be several days sometimes after the release).

In the meantime, if you opted into beta updates, you might need to reinstall Balance Mod. When the official release happens, you will definitely need to reinstall Balance Mod in the interim while we wait for the module system release and me to update.

As always, I will ensure save compatibility. If someone notices the release faster than I do, please post here so I am notified, and I’ll get to updating as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom