In Progress Scene Editor Vertex painting (material blending) isn't working

Users who are viewing this thread

Seems the vertex painting tools are still making meshes disappear, does this tool have any documentation anywhere at all? I'm trying to finish up a scene that I've been working on for months and the last bit of polish I need is locked behind this tool.

In the 1.5.8 notes it was mentioned that this issue was fixed, I have latest but it still doesn't appear to work, are there any shader flags I need to apply to get this working?

Cheers!

It was working for me on 1.5.8, are you on the 1.5.7 or beta 1.5.8?
I dont know if it doesnt work for 1.5.7, it might be a beta only thing.

Yup It seems I wasn't on beta, I've spent a few hours going through the system to see if it would all work and came up with some issues:

Channel B - Works well on existing assets but I can’t find a way to assign more materials to imported assets in the BL tools. Exporting FBXs from Maya that have multiple materials assigned to the same face doesn’t appear to be possible either. In packages like Unreal you can just blend two materials together under one shader but it seems here you blend two shaders together which requires the application of two shaders - which isn’t possible in Maya at least.

Channel A - Doesn’t work because of the same issue above (on the B-channel).
DdeI-S1CG-2COfPQBYoh6LchcenRxsLpI-ZFPWG0dHixMs4KK9Jp2DXQ3PsaMkKuSTjgjmo3mmYTJefb0W2Z3nSS4o2edRIJUkzndaVQQwH37EsYQnH-glCbTbNXSMhFS-BaaLpa

Temporary fix for use of vertex painting in the mean time - duplicate all meshes that require vertex painted alpha-driven textures and use those to paint moss etc. Issues are LODs & expense of spending 2x tri count.

Quick summary:
Stuff thats works for me: Ambient occlusion painting, Parallax painting, Diffuse occlusion not been checked.
Stuff that isnt working for me: Secondary material blending, Alpha material blending.

Other q's:
Is there any way to adjust the hue of the base colour that the ambient occlusion applies?
Are there any plans on making adding value to the channel possible? Clearing channels and re-painting would be a hassle.

Forwarded to the developers for further investigation. We will reach out again if we need more information. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Back
Top Bottom