SP Dark Ages [VC] Sword and Shield - A Mount and Blade Warband Viking conquest Overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hibernicus said:
JuJu70 said:
Also just a tip in life, is saying that  "That really looks like extremely sensitive area for you" is an extremely disrespectful and overly assumes things. If you ever said that aloud to someone (of which I highly doubt you would have the balls to do), you would get jumped.

Sorry, if it offended you but I merely meant it in a sarcastic way  :razz:. Looked like quite an arbitrary thing among mostly weapon and armor modifications.

Anyways, I'm not trying to bring you down, merely responding to you on why things the way they are in VC, and why we wanted to have as much realism as possible in VC. Many "realistic" features didn't make the cut, like 10k swords, or 2k shields that were destroyed with 1 javelin for obvious reasons. BTW WB economy is unfixable, in general.

BTW, Native is super Easy.

I understand the focus on realistic features and can appretiate it to an extant, but I feel like the you guys should have considered what is actually viable and what is just over the top, grind heavy, smash you in the face you have zero chance difficult, always broke, expensive gear, low income from interprises, forced to cheat while managing your own kingdom. Hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm missing out on some early game strategies but I never get too far in this game without cheating lol I'm probably just terrible

Unrelated but I also miss freelancer. Wish you guys could develop your own version of freelancer. I have zero modding skills and not much time to attempt to learn it due to work or else I would. ****ty excuse I know but c'mon. Freelancer helped me IMMENSELY during early game Brytenwalda, plus the RP aspect.

Yes these were the main issues I tried to solve, alot of people are interested in freelancer, so I'll start looking into it come winter break. I have alot of finals and such to study for atm however.

Kale3 said:
Freelancer is a mod that allows you to enlist into a lords army and own promotions as a soldier.

Oh, like the one I heard they have in ACOK. That actually sounds really nice!

As for the rest of this mod... Is it an overhaul? Yes. Is it a good overhaul? Well, that depends on the player, really.

I personally like to play VC at full realism, with full damage and stamina and all that, I love the struggle it offers and it's so rewarding to complete a goal. I mean that's exactly what I find to be so satisfying. The fact that you can rise from literally the ultimate loser to be a powerful king/warlord etc.

I completely understand wanting it to be easier, but the problem with these modifications is that they have the potential to make it much too easy late game. I mean, I remember equipping literally every one of my companions with custom ordered tempered noble helmets and widow makers and all those things. I admit, it was around the second in-game year, but still. And the only major tweak I made was my character's XP modifier, just because I enjoy becoming a one-man army.

Maybe you could find a balance for that. With the prices you implemented you could literally equip yourself and your whole army with the first week's rents from your first town. And then what do you do?  :lol:

But I guess if you're looking for a quick playthrough it's the way to go.

One thing that I would've liked in this overhaul is making stamina lower for slashing and thrusting your weapon only (not moving)). Because I usually turn stamina off because it's such a pain in the ass. When you're just trying to get to the enemy on the otherside of the map you get exhausted. Considering there's no "walking" in the game you lose stamina just by trying to move towards the enemy army. But even if you do walk by holding shift you still lose stamina. So you have to stop moving every couple steps unless you want to get exhausted. To avoid this there should either be a "walking" button you toggle to stop losing stamina or there should be no stamina loss for moving at all (just attacks). Just something about VC that annoys me.

The Onion Knight said:
One thing that I would've liked in this overhaul is making stamina lower for slashing and thrusting your weapon only (not moving)

I think that would require either the module system or a LOT of reverse engineering.  :lol:

Maybe turning it off only for the player? I find that stamina for the troops in battles offers a lot of strategy. Strategy that Warband lacks. You can literally kite a legion of vikings if you have light skirmishers and you manage them well. And on the other hand, if you have vikings against light troops you have to be more careful in managing their movement. It's simply more than just charging and seeing who has the strongest units like in Warband.

Ulfrsson said:
The Onion Knight said:
One thing that I would've liked in this overhaul is making stamina lower for slashing and thrusting your weapon only (not moving)

I think that would require either the module system or a LOT of reverse engineering.  :lol:

Maybe turning it off only for the player? I find that stamina for the troops in battles offers a lot of strategy. Strategy that Warband lacks. You can literally kite a legion of vikings if you have light skirmishers and you manage them well. And on the other hand, if you have vikings against light troops you have to be more careful in managing their movement. It's simply more than just charging and seeing who has the strongest units like in Warband.

What the OP says might be do able, except the part while not moving.

Ulfrsson said:
Kale3 said:
Freelancer is a mod that allows you to enlist into a lords army and own promotions as a soldier.

Oh, like the one I heard they have in ACOK. That actually sounds really nice!

As for the rest of this mod... Is it an overhaul? Yes. Is it a good overhaul? Well, that depends on the player, really.

I personally like to play VC at full realism, with full damage and stamina and all that, I love the struggle it offers and it's so rewarding to complete a goal. I mean that's exactly what I find to be so satisfying. The fact that you can rise from literally the ultimate loser to be a powerful king/warlord etc.

I completely understand wanting it to be easier, but the problem with these modifications is that they have the potential to make it much too easy late game. I mean, I remember equipping literally every one of my companions with custom ordered tempered noble helmets and widow makers and all those things. I admit, it was around the second in-game year, but still. And the only major tweak I made was my character's XP modifier, just because I enjoy becoming a one-man army.

Maybe you could find a balance for that. With the prices you implemented you could literally equip yourself and your whole army with the first week's rents from your first town. And then what do you do?  :lol:

But I guess if you're looking for a quick playthrough it's the way to go.

This mod does in no way make the game easier, look, I've played vanilla VC for quite a bit and have conquered the map twice in vanilla, it's not hard. You just find loopholes in AI, and once you get a few capitols, then you just keep rolling in dough. As far as equipping your men with widow makers and noble helms.. Eh, this mod does not change the price of special weapons, and noble helms can still mostly only be obtained from lords, I'm guessing you must have used the modify lord's equip option, I removed that in an update due to imbalance. Yes, you could equip yourself with a whole army, but make a few recruitment runs in Northumbria in vanilla VC you'll do the same (and with better units). If you don't like it, there is a guide on how to disable the new recruitment. Honestly I'm thinking of looking at the code for what the 1257 AD guys did, Lance recruitment is awesome. The changes in economy are for several reasons that I have explained, I am thinking of making a hardcore revamp as an optional file on X mas break though. I'm also looking into freelancer atm. Going to look into lance recruitment, I am also going to look into getting a video software to make a video for this mod.

Well, first of all, I didn't try your mod, and second, I didn't mean to condemn it. I mean half the fun of Mount & Blade is the modding part and everybody will have a different view on how to change things or make things "better" (used apostrophes because better is relative).

I was talking about the noble helms you can order from blacksmiths. The one that "accentuates your facial features".

And lastly, from what I read about the price changes on equipment, I just think they're too cheap and not much of a struggle to obtain anymore, that's all.

Ulfrsson said:
Well, first of all, I didn't try your mod, and second, I didn't mean to condemn it. I mean half the fun of Mount & Blade is the modding part and everybody will have a different view on how to change things or make things "better" (used apostrophes because better is relative).

I was talking about the noble helms you can order from blacksmiths. The one that "accentuates your facial features".

And lastly, from what I read about the price changes on equipment, I just think they're too cheap and not much of a struggle to obtain anymore, that's all.

I'm not saying that, the price change on equipment works fine. It works fine because you can't get 2000 penningas on bandit loot anymore, instead you get maybe 200. Weapons are men't to be easy to obtain, my problem with the prices in vanilla is that nobody would use the damn merchants bc everything was so overpriced. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't intended. I was just explaining why I chose some tweaks and such. :smile:

Awesome mod, I love what you've done for game balance!  I hope you continue with your balance project.

One question, what are the default values for recruitment from villages?  You set them to 50 and 30, but what were they originally if I want to make that change?  Thanks!

abadgaem said:
Awesome mod, I love what you've done for game balance!  I hope you continue with your balance project.

One question, what are the default values for recruitment from villages?  You set them to 50 and 30, but what were they originally if I want to make that change?  Thanks!

It was at 0, and max at low relations was  7

Hibernicus said:
Anyway you can make to where we can bet in the tavern like in Brytenwalda?

Unfortunately no, because that is beyond my coding and modding capabilities.

TeaKae said:
how does this mod work!

can i play story mode with this!
and where to download and how to install?

Yes, you can play any mode with it. This is the download link http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6058/? there is a readme in the archive file and in the description on how to install. If you have any further questions, feel free to message.

Would love to try this, latest update broke my edited files, too lazy to edit it myself again so I'm thinking of using your Mod, but it's not compatible yet. Hope you release an updated version soon. :grin:

hi when i download the mod i get a lot of .txt files and when i replace them all the game has some errors
e.g. once all the in city descriptions was changed so instead of mead hall i got declare war and instead of visit lords hall i got make vassal.
another example was when i tried it again there was no continue after the character creation screen so i was stuck there.
my questions are
1. do i need to download all the files
2. what could be creating this bug
3. could i have a description of each file

the file names i get are:
actions
conversation
dialogue_states
item_kinds1
menus
mission_templates
module.ini
parties
party_templates
presentations
quests
scripts
simple_triggers
skills
strings
triggers
troops
variable_uses

p.s the music files all work

Kale3 said:
TeaKae said:
how does this mod work!

can i play story mode with this!
and where to download and how to install?

Yes, you can play any mode with it. This is the download link http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6058/? there is a readme in the archive file and in the description on how to install. If you have any further questions, feel free to message.

When i open that link it says file hidden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom