[Various] Concerning the Poll about a pre-made 'recruit' skill template...

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A clarifying question: by "pre-made character" does the poll mean an option to choose at character creation that gives you a boost in certain stats/abilities (like choosing 'street urchin' and 'shop apprentice') OR does it mean that when you enlist in an army, your character's stats and abilities change to a set template?

My personal opinion would change depending on which of those two was meant.

As of now taragoth would like it to be an additional option at character creation. This choice would fullfill the stat requirements for a recruit and would be ready to join an army. However some thinking needs to be done, since the factions differ in the troops the use (or so i think :razz:).

Yes. as we discussed on the chat :smile: The idea of a character start off character would be what caba'drin said. within character generation (CharGen). Say if the player wants to go be Lord Snotty Noses little gimp right away , just to get more into the 'immersion' side of things. In CharGen have the following options... my daddy was "Militia Commander(?)" as I grew up, "I joined the boy scouts" as I got older "I joined the militia in my home town of bum*uck" then I left my home and went off because  "I wanted to become a warrior of renown and honor!" :smile:

Then as all options give bonuses, we could be giving the character a small boost of agility or strength and maybe charisma? but moreso small boosts to make it so they can wield (if they are lucky) the weapons the quartermaster gives them when they finally join Lord Snotty nose

(of course those options wouldnt have scouts or the fictitious town of Bum*uck) :razz:

Comments?

Caba`drin said:
Something along those lines sounds good to me...it was the response I was hoping for.
As Duh said, will take some playing with, but it sounds like what the peoples want :wink:

Nah lets make a soopa soldja! j/k

why do you need premade recruit? If someone will decide to play as warrior, he will create a character with high str and agi.
And being soldier you can't trade or do normal quests. But you can have weapons from battlefield. Too bad you can't have armor. So why you need to pin player to any troop tree or ranks? Let him level as normal - gaining exp from killing and general's trainer skill.
Make a big penalty for deserting/rebelling/ets. And you have a soldier... As you: gained high enough level/served in army long enough time/done quest/ets you can leave and do what you want. Like soldier contract is over. Or stay in army... or become a lord...

If you want rank, i see 1 reason for it. Higher rank - better quests (if you still going to make quests). And ofc some people will enjoy being SERGANT or smth like that )

JuicyDeath said:
why do you need premade recruit? If someone will decide to play as warrior, he will create a character with high str and agi.
And being soldier you can't trade or do normal quests. But you can have weapons from battlefield. Too bad you can't have armor. So why you need to pin player to any troop tree or ranks? Let him level as normal - gaining exp from killing and general's trainer skill.
Make a big penalty for deserting/rebelling/ets. And you have a soldier... As you: gained high enough level/served in army long enough time/done quest/ets you can leave and do what you want. Like soldier contract is over. Or stay in army... or become a lord...

If you want rank, i see 1 reason for it. Higher rank - better quests (if you still going to make quests). And ofc some people will enjoy being SERGANT or smth like that )

opinion noted JD, but it's not like I'm making the player do anything, the idea for adding bonuses (just like the my daddy was) was originally designed for the code we had in place, it wouldnt allow the player to gain weapons/horses if they do not have the stats, I don't know about you but I'm ex millitary and if your in the millitary you can't be a horseman without being part of the horse regiment, or the archers or fodder (auxillieries) with out being assigned to those regiments ect.
We had a talk (devs) then I decided to ask people through the poll, I'm not here to make a historical masterpiece , I'm here to make the player feel like they are in a Lords company, the grunts, in the thick of it.. so they can be the guy with a ****y sword who sees a shiny one on the battlefield and grabs it , or sees the powerful Lord and his knights fly by and crash into the enemy, he either honors him or despises him, the player can dream up anything they want.. and yeah there will be quests.. more for those who would really in a 'more' realistic world deserve them. So all in all the whole 'troop tier' idea is about immersion as well.. it's about imagination ... but on a good note we are currently adding a feature to not let people rank until they can handle the weapons/shield/items need. Also we are concidering not removing the weapons. But to balance that, bring in a 'broken weapon' code that after some time the weapon may break, leaving the reason for scrounging the battlefield or going on vacation. If it was solely up to me I'd make it so your relations don't change when on leave .  :twisted:

Anyways after I've written my novel ...I'll get to the point.. lol. Premade doesnt mean click here to be a soldier, it's a new line in the "My dady was" , "As a child", "When I grew up" and "my reason for leaving home", but please not this may or may not be a new addition to the OSP part of the code. Need something 'unique' as part of the standalone. I'm going to change the poll a bit, people get the wrong idea... sorry kids no supa soldja!

Thanks ALLOT for your input JD! :smile: it is well respected and noted.

yes, but i don't know if this is possible. Since every mod has it's own troop tree and items.

I'm playing ad1257 now. And i can't be horseman. Bc i can only choose from village troop tree.

PS
can't be a horseman without being part of the horse regiment
No i've never been close to army. But i'm absolutly sure that if you bring your own tank, they will be glad to make you part of tank regiment.

JuicyDeath said:
No i've never been close to army. But i'm absolutly sure that if you bring your own tank, they will be glad to make you part of tank regiment.

That is awesome , I'm going to use that quote LOL... strange, I'll have to talk to Caba about that tho... only the merc  village tree? maybe the mod merger needs to change some code, thats a big find, thanks for the heads up!

taragoth said:
only the merc  village tree? maybe the mod merger needs to change some code
1. in ad1257 you can recruit cav only in castles and even 1st tier is not a peasant. It's elite with good equipment and expencive
2. 2nd tier in village tree is Guisamer. 3rd - Guisamer. 4th - Guisamer... same equipment.

i just want to say that you probably would not be able to balance this and would not be able to create long term gameplay, if you bases mod on other mods troop tree and item balance.

Base on your own ranks. So other modders will not have to do a lot of coding and balancing. Turn it around.
Now: promote - give him equipment. You can run couple days in general's party without any fights and become top tier soldier...
Make: player looted some equip and gained levels - promote. Killed many bad guys - promote. Made quests - promote. It's natural way.

edit: this IS a very interesting mod. And later you can add LOT of fun staff based on player soldier carrier. But there is no carrier if you just get propoted in few inactive days. So i can see this only based on Freelancer's own ranks! So military ranks(or titles) is not only fun feature, but is basis of future development of the mod.

Freelancer will base its system on its own troops and items (so far native). If other mod makers wish to use it, they are more then welcome to merge it with their mods.

The tiers will continue to be based on the troop trees of the factions. There will be no freelancer ranks as that would take away the immersion of being part of the army and being the same as one of the other "faceless" soldiers. The promotion system will be overhauled and is going to be based upon time spend serving a lord (the time span needed will be increased), general renown and the relationship with the lord you serve. Additionally to that the player needs to meet the minimum item requirements for a tier to "level up".

Duh
that would kill the mod. Warband based on gameplay as lord. And we have for it honour, renown, right to rule and relations with other lords as parameters player need to increase. And the whole game depends of this parameters. You can't build a game on RP staff. Player can, but you as dev - can not.
So offering game based on soldier gameplay you have to add ranks. Your own.

And i have a feeling, you should think more. Read examples with Guisamers and cav. You will just make it unusable in most modes without hard work.

Instead trying to give RP staff like "immersion" (which always was only a matter of player choice, not game system), you should build a system of gameplay. You are too emotional about immersion. That wont work. Even without Freelancer players RP as templars, varangian guards, highlanders and so on. But this is a matter of choice. As dev you are building a system.

If you will add 1 more parameter to this game - ranks, you can change gameplay significant. And you can make it easier to use Freelancer in other mods. You can do anything you want with new parameter like this. But base it on native troop tree and you are stuck.

edit: it's like if diplomacy would be able to work only with 5 native factions and native lords.

taragoth said:
JuicyDeath said:

That is awesome , I'm going to use that quote LOL... strange, I'll have to talk to Caba about that tho... only the merc  village tree? maybe the mod merger needs to change some code, thats a big find, thanks for the heads up!

It's not a bug, it's the way it is in 1257ad, because the unit recruitment is a bit different from native. Ie there are 3 troop trees for each faction, native has only one. You can't become cavalry unit in 1257ad, because you're village tree is not connected in any way with the nobility tree. So in this case it would need customization from my end.

The mod currently works as i described it above. So it wont die, if we continue it that way.
JuicyDeath said:
Warband based on gameplay as lord.
Right. The point of the mod is to change that. Its adding additional gameplay to the native "be a lord, rule calradia".
JuicyDeath said:
And i have a feeling, you should think more. Read examples with Guisamers and cav. You will just make it unusable in most modes without hard work.
Watch your tongue youngling. The more work the team puts into being compatible with other mods, the less it can focus on improving the mod itself. If you want compatibility as a basis of a mod, you can forget about new features, because they are very likely be incompatible to some other mod. Also it is common sense that people who want something, work for it. Merging mods has always been and will always be up to the according modder. Additionally to that - currently its far from hard work to merge freelancer.
JuicyDeath said:
If you will add 1 more parameter to this game - ranks, you can change gameplay significant.
Tiers = Ranks Its already in the game.

As a sidenote: This has nothing to do with emotions. Our decisions are based upon discussions with the whole team and the feedback we get from players. Yours was noted, but dismissed.

DrTomas said:
taragoth said:
That is awesome , I'm going to use that quote LOL... strange, I'll have to talk to Caba about that tho... only the merc  village tree? maybe the mod merger needs to change some code, that's a big find, thanks for the heads up!

It's not a bug, it's the way it is in 1257ad, because the unit recruitment is a bit different from native. Ie there are 3 troop trees for each faction, native has only one. You can't become cavalry unit in 1257ad, because you're village tree is not connected in any way with the nobility tree. So in this case it would need customization from my end.

Yah DrT, I think I came across wrong when trying to talk to 'others'  What I was trying to say is that even tho they might like to be able to use a tier that you don't have available , it would be up to the Mods (AD1257) devs to decided whether or not to add the code to allow that to be possible for players. Sorry for the misunderstanding and any inconvenience caused. also the 'heads up' comment from me was more intended to remind myself to take these things into consideration when developing further.

Thanks for understanding and we hope to make our mod more compatible to other mods so they can implement the mod smoother with little or no extra coding or dealing with confusing typical Aussies like myself :razz:

JuicyDeath said:
Are you sitting on your head? Bc i don't see any other way you can get it SO wrong.

Juicy, Your Opinion has been noted,  But Dismissed by the majority.. Thread locked

No Trolling please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom