Tutorial Boss Badly Balanced/Designed

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Earl

Karen
Regular
So, I've made several attempts now at the tutorial.

1st problem:
I had the issue that, when charging through a line of bandits and spearing them, they would somehow hit my character in the HEAD, with their little axes, as I was charging through them at full speed. Since I made him the tallest possible, I don't see how that is remotely physically possible. They don't have throwing weapons.

2nd Problem:
Going through the lair taking bandits out 1 by 1 is a fun idea... but they don't respawn if you load the game. This is frustrating, it means you can't try the challenge again. More frustrating for the fact that I keep getting some bugs with collision and combat, which I'll go into in a minute.

3rd and Biggest Problem, the Boss:
So, it's cool that you can fight a boss... if you had weapons to fight him with. Instead I have a one-handed sword against some pretty reasonable armor. Several times I've hit him, but not enough to interrupt his attack. One time he hit through my shield. Once, I hit him in the face and staggered him, and immediately went for a follow up attack... and he killed me, interrupting a classic combo. And then you have to go through the stupid previous scene again, walking for like 3 minutes, just to retry.

4th Problem:
Can't access the character screen to level up. Considering I am a level 1 character with minimal stats, and the game keeps telling your you've leveled up, and you're fighting a very high level opponent with a MUCH higher swing speed... you are sending mixed messages by not letting the player level up.

5th Problem:
Enemies are just... hitting through my shield, now? I really can't explain that. This game has a lot of problems beyond the tutorial.

6th Problem:
I lost all of my prisoners I built up from the previous raids. That seems an unreasonable price for failure in a tutorial. I see now that you lose everything you gained during the tutorial, anyway. I'm not sure that's a wise idea... maybe take away the headman cavalry, but the prisoners and the loot seems fair gain the player should keep. They should also have increased relations with the village they helped during the tutorial, as if they had done a quest for them. This would just be narratively consistent, and feel like a proper reward for the player.

I was a reasonably proficient duelist in Warband, so I can only imagine how frustrating this would be for players who actually NEED a tutorial. This has dulled my enthusiasm for the game, which was already not so high due to all the reports of other broken features within it.

I recommend fixing the tutorial, as there are already some people who are reacting in a big way by refunding the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom