Tournaments with other lords are near impossible to win

Users who are viewing this thread

I was facing Addas in a tournament. I kept landing head stabs on him but he would only take a max of 3 damage because on his armor. Assuming he has 100 hit points, that would take me 33 head stabs. Like what? How the am I suppose to do that? The only thing I could think of is to get equal armor but still that match would last forever. Why is armor kept in tournaments?

Wait, what? With the current beta, 1.2.0? AI is quite easy to beat as is. Further nerfing it will mean that you will have to play with both eyes closed and one arm tied behind your back to get any sensation of a challenge.

Try zooming in/out your camera and focus on your timing. Maybe use the the tutorial training ground for a bit, get some practise. Combat gets some getting used to, it's not the same ol' Warband. After putting some time behind it, you will be wrecking legionaries, banner knights and cataphracts left and right.

In the beginning, it might seem hard because your character sucks as he's very slow and weak but as the game progresses tournaments become way too easy.. Athletics is probably the most important to boost followed by combat skills.

This just hasn't been my experience. I am by NO means "good" at M&B single-player melee combat in general, and definitely BL in particular. I'm average at best, and am probably being charitable to myself in allowing even that.

But I haven't had a hard time usually beating nobles and high-tier troops in tournaments. Sure, they're better armored and skilled...but they're still AI. I don't win every tournament in the early game...but then I shouldn't. I do win often enough even at the beginning to not feel frustrated with it.

AI is so lame atm. You just do not understand how it works. Today I kicked the ass of the lord in tournament. I mean, literally. I knocked him down only using leg kick, even without blocking his hits. Believe me))

So, three little hints for you for the start, so you could improve your skills:
1. Try to run in circles around him. Just mention how slow AI is at turning around. I think you will figure out the rest.
2. Look at the opponent and constantly move to the left or right side. Start moving in opposite direction when he swings the weapon.
3. Moving back and forward also confuses AI controlled enemies.

I hope this helps)

Last edited:
It's hard at first but when it gets easy later on it will be boring so enjoy it while you can, now I just go in to tournaments and decide to handicap my self but only using the piercing damage and no slashing and still win, actually I do more damage that way so it got even easier.

1. Try to run in circles around him. Just mention how slow AI is at turning around. I think you will figure out the rest.

Wait, what? With the current beta, 1.2.0?

The OP is taking about balance of defense for the tournament. So telling him to exploit the AI/current game is not really a solution, as this is likely will be patched in the future. Exploits/cheats are one way to play, but they shouldnt be part of the discussion on [how to make it fair/fun]

I was facing Addas in a tournament. I kept landing head stabs on him but he would only take a max of 3 damage because on his armor.

Well you shouldnt win all tournaments, in special at the first few hours. You start with low cash, gear and skills. Wining them would be weird. You can play the training sections at that point.

Having full armor is a weird decision, but it also plays both sides. Once you have heavy armor ... you will likely get to the finals every time.

There are different sets of weapons for tournaments, including some with horses.

I think the system as it is now its too barebones/simple. Not sure if they intend to work on that in the future or not. I saw a dev reply about having special tournaments from time to time and other ideas. But they did not talk a lot about this.

The OP is taking about balance of defense for the tournament. So telling him to exploit the AI/current game is not really a solution, as this is likely will be patched in the future. Exploits/cheats are one way to play, but they shouldnt be part of the discussion on [how to make it fair/fun]
I dont know how the way of outsmarting the AI is cheating or exploiting. The game is beatiful when you can do it, because it is 3D, it gives you a chance to test your skills, it makes the game diverse. It would be way worse when all possibilities are closed, to the point when it could be written on the paper, like it works in browser games - you hit for 7, enemy hits you for 50 critical unblockable smash. You failed. End of the story.

P.S. The same for board games. You can program all of these games to the point, where noone could beat the A.I. Moreover, these games are pretty low on variants, just check the wikipedia. I dont think it will make the game better.

are you serious . With realistic / hard settings i can win every opponent and every tournament allways. Only with no armor at all, naked, not fully healed and level 1 with no skill in anything, its little bit challenging but not impossible even then. Anyway if we take shield also out, then its hard as blocking without shield is so hard

Last edited:
I was facing Addas in a tournament. I kept landing head stabs on him but he would only take a max of 3 damage because on his armor.

Try other parts of his body, they may be less protected. Like arms or torso. If it's a spear duel, then you can even go for legs. Also try slashes, some swords have low stabbing damage.

Btw.: Lords participate in the tournaments only if present in the town. You may try to wait for them to leave, then enter tournament.

I dont know how the way of outsmarting the AI is cheating or exploiting.

running in circles because the AI cant defend itself is a exploit, not outsmarting it. If you are fine doing it, then just keep doing it, its a SP game, you play the way you want it. Noone is here to stop your fun. The OP was talking about game balance and how having full armor affects the tournaments.

running in circles because the AI cant defend itself is a exploit, not outsmarting it. If you are fine doing it, then just keep doing it, its a SP game, you play the way you want it. Noone is here to stop your fun. The OP was talking about game balance and how having full armor affects the tournaments.
Ok, thank you for permission) Seeking your same logic, you can consider running in circles an exploit, np really. Then killing thugs standing on the boulder is exploit too. Bringing the gun to the knife fight is an exploit too lol
Sorry for not being straitforward dumbass that try to break the wall using the head. It seems better to whine that my head is not tough enough, and ask for a tougher head instead.
OP was talking about the game balance, and I described him that facing an enemy with full armor is not a big issue. The end.

So telling him to exploit the AI/current game is not really a solution, as this is likely will be patched in the futur
Err, I think You misquoted there. Nevertheless, currently there is absolutely no need to cheese the AI and I certainly do not advise the OP to do so. Again, if you cant beat AI in tournaments - the problem is between the chair and the keyboard. I know. I was at the exact same place. Do some practice, it will come in handy when the TW will unf**k the difficulty levels :wink:

Tourneys eventually become trivial- I have really mixed feelings about getting to wear your equipment in tourneys, as with the rest of the game you just get as expensive armor as you can and you're set.

Tourneys eventually become trivial-

that is part of the problem they need to solve. [Why should people join tournaments]. Right now if you think just about min-max or gain, then it is limited to early game (when you have little cash, low skills and bad gear). If you dont worry about gains, you can do them for fun at any time tho. But there is little gameplay reason for that.

if they change that, then we could see the impact on your gear selection too. The [when] you should use [what].

- tournaments to gain affection on your marriage ritual
- tournaments as part of noble feasts
- tournaments to gain relationship with fellow nobles
- tournaments where you watch, not fight, but you can put your companions and bet on them.
- national tournaments (you qualify by being a local champion)

stuff like that

I think if you are doing max damage you might be getting some bad hits in. Like a spear or other polearm where the enemy is to close. Your weapon doesent get to swing properly and your do single digit damage as all you are doing is bumping into him. Or at the very least thats what it sounds like to me.

Try (shield) bashing to give yourself some distance so you can swing your weapon properly. Even high tier weapons take decent damage if the swings are good :smile:

Bringing the gun to the knife fight is an exploit too lol
Gun is supossed to beat knife. Thats why it is not exploit.
Al isnt supossed to be useless when you are going in circles. Thats why it is exploit.

About gear and tournamets.

It is done for a one reason - to make them haeder. Thats all.
Becouse when player have a good gear and skills tournamets are already useless anyway, you have 0 reasons to play them.
So doesnt matter that they become ezpz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom