SP - Battles & Sieges Tournament balance

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't understand why they had to nerf tournament while there is other OP ways to earn tons of dinar.
Honestly this nerf made me lose my trust to development team. I just hope they know what they are doing.

Well I guess if you make them much harder then the rewards could be better as well.

Just please teach the npcs to counter the circling and swinging maneuver. ?

That you, the player, can practice fighting.

What about those that are using the auto block, or those that are good already, this doesn't make too much sense for most of the playerbase. If you want to practice yourself, Training Field is always open with infitine health enemies to train your blocking.

Last edited:
Tournaments aren't worth the time right now at all.
Fighting 10 sea raiders will get you same renown, better gold, better gear for a fraction of the time.

Even as Level 1 you're better off fighting Looters.

I mean tournaments are free money and free items.

First you let npcs kill each other till you have a 1v1 and then you keep walking around the opponent while swinging at his back. Even if you deal 1 damage he will die eventually and he cant hit you.
Free?
You only get money if you bet. You stand to lose way more money than you'll win in these tournaments and it's awful. You could do 5 tournaments and maybe just barely manage to collect the standard 600 needed to bet on one tournament. That means if you lose 1/5 tournaments then it's going to make you a loss.

As someone else said, an exploit is an exploit. It shouldn't be considered when talking about game balance. As a player you should avoid using exploits because you're just cheating yourself out of actually playing the game. As a developer they should fix the exploit, not balance around it.

Thats a problem with practice fights. They should not give XP.
Practise fights should absolutely give XP. You gain XP so incredibly slowly in this game that you really need some place to get a decent amount of it. The tournaments and practice fights don't even give you all that much. I played pretty much all day yesterday and barely hit level 70 with one handed weapons and pole arms. Bows, crossbows, throwing and two handed are still about level 30. Considering the levels go up to about 300 this is very little. Add in that they get harder to level the higher the level and that level caps mean you have to balance your levelling and you're looking at a heck of a lot of grinding to get levels through just practice fights...

Plus there's the training grounds for new players to get the hang of combat. Practice fights are fun free-for-alls where a player actually has to be good at the game to win since you get stock weapons and no armour. It's a challenge and you should get appropriate rewards for attempting that challenge.

I don't understand why they decided to nerf the reward to make tournament so useless. Imagine spending your time doing 4 rounds of combat and only receive 80 gold from all the bets and some useless equipment. It wasn't even a great way to make money before 1.0.7, now it's just a waste of time.
They could have just tweaked the tournament itself to make it more challenging. They figured it out that people should use the same gear in practice matches, why couldn't they do that for tournaments too?

I don't understand why they had to nerf tournament while there is other OP ways to earn tons of dinar.
Honestly this nerf made me lose my trust to development team. I just hope they know what they are doing.
That’s the biggest effect of the patch for me. It took me from having 100% confidence in the devs to having a sneaking suspicion that they are just randomly scrolling through the forums, picking a random complaint that seems to have a following, then making a random executive decision one way or another, generally following a pattern of slowing down progression. Seriously disheartening.

That’s the biggest effect of the patch for me. It took me from having 100% confidence in the devs to having a sneaking suspicion that they are just randomly scrolling through the forums, picking a random complaint that seems to have a following, then making a random executive decision one way or another, generally following a pattern of slowing down progression. Seriously disheartening.
I agree. I'm really hoping it's just a temporary change until they fix the AI exploit. Like with the 200 cap on workshops that was there for only a day.

If they actually just made tournaments useless though then there's no other way about it, they'd have to be morons. I'm mostly thinking it's the first option though because I just can't see how it would be possible for a dev team to be so incredibly incompetent at balancing a game to the point where they're nerfing things that were already sub-par.

Surely they understand that a game has a longer shelf life if it's fun instead of taking ages to progress, right?
Players will play multiple characters and level them up repeatedly if they feel they're making progress at a decent rate and they get that sustained excitement of constant growth.
Making it a chore and expecting people to spend time slogging through a bad progression system would just be idiotic.

I agree. I'm really hoping it's just a temporary change until they fix the AI exploit. Like with the 200 cap on workshops that was there for only a day.

If they actually just made tournaments useless though then there's no other way about it, they'd have to be morons. I'm mostly thinking it's the first option though because I just can't see how it would be possible for a dev team to be so incredibly incompetent at balancing a game to the point where they're nerfing things that were already sub-par.

Surely they understand that a game has a longer shelf life if it's fun instead of taking ages to progress, right?
Players will play multiple characters and level them up repeatedly if they feel they're making progress at a decent rate and they get that sustained excitement of constant growth.
Making it a chore and expecting people to spend time slogging through a bad progression system would just be idiotic.
To be fair it wouldn’t be the first time that a dev team has had a specific vision for a game that they refuse to deviate from. If that vision in Bannerlord is multi-generational gameplay where they expect players to be slowly building up a family and clan over hundreds of hours almost like an MMO... well, at least we have mods.

I feel the same way. Was very excited to see daily patches, and overall improvements. A lot of progress has being made in a few days. But this patch was shocking by it's lack of any sense. I expect them to rectify on this, or at least give us an explanation of why they think that is a good change for the game.

I'm still trying to understand why we can bring our armor to tournaments... Practice fights are 100 times harder than the so called Tournament... I feel like they`ve spent 7.5 years working on the engine and 6 months thinking about game ideas...

I agree but I also don't think tourneys are important to be worked on right now. I made a new char to try to the full exp and it was useful and I got a good helmet too. I made one after the exp/reward nerf and it's not so useful and I don't get a good anything. Oh well, I hope I can get those good horses still at least.

In the future maybe a random chance ti get a exceptional reward would be good. Like the reward is shown to be an armor but you won't know what you get until you win, maybe a normal prize but a chance at a valuable one. But not if it slows the game down and makes the engine work to hard. nope.

I agree but I also don't think tourneys are important to be worked on right now. I made a new char to try to the full exp and it was useful and I got a good helmet too. I made one after the exp/reward nerf and it's not so useful and I don't get a good anything. Oh well, I hope I can get those good horses still at least.

In the future maybe a random chance ti get a exceptional reward would be good. Like the reward is shown to be an armor but you won't know what you get until you win, maybe a normal prize but a chance at a valuable one. But not if it slows the game down and makes the engine work to hard. nope.
I agree tournaments are not a big priority right now, but as they were changed in the most recent patch, it seems devs are looking into them, so i hope they'll realize and address quickly.

Free?
You only get money if you bet. You stand to lose way more money than you'll win in these tournaments and it's awful. You could do 5 tournaments and maybe just barely manage to collect the standard 600 needed to bet on one tournament. That means if you lose 1/5 tournaments then it's going to make you a loss.

You cannot lose a tournament even if you try.

1. In group fights let the npcs fight each other.
2. Attack biggest groups, don't let them fight you 2v1.
3. In 1v1 just keep going forward and left/right around your enemy (circle your enemy very close) and keep swinging. They cannot hit you, even if you hit them for 1 damage, they will die eventually.
4. Gratz, you win any tournament.

Bet every round and a tournament is a free 1000+ ducats and an epic item.

3. In 1v1 just keep going forward and left/right around your enemy (circle your enemy very close) and keep swinging. They cannot hit you, even if you hit them for 1 damage, they will die eventually.

Yes, if you exploit you win easy, but the issue here is not that tourneys give a lot of money or whatever, but the fact that they are so easily exploitable. So instead of nerfing tournament rewards, improve AI and make the reward worth it.

Do you fight on very easy mode? It's super easy to lose a tournament.
Maybe you have top tier armour? Even then, a couple of headshots will get you on realistic.
Oh, maybe you're one of those people using the exploit where you run around them and they can't do anything? In which case, you're not playing the game as intended and are basically cheating.

Hah, read a bit more of your reply and yeah, you're using the exploit. Well there's your problem buddy. You're not finding them difficult because you're exploiting the enemy AI to make them stand still and let you beat them down. Try not cheating and you might find them a bit harder.

Unlike you, I'd rather not ruin the challenge of the game, and therefore the gameplay, by cheating.

Do you fight on very easy mode? It's super easy to lose a tournament.
Maybe you have top tier armour? Even then, a couple of headshots will get you on realistic.
Oh, maybe you're one of those people using the exploit where you run around them and they can't do anything? In which case, you're not playing the game as intended and are basically cheating.

Hah, read a bit more of your reply and yeah, you're using the exploit. Well there's your problem buddy. You're not finding them difficult because you're exploiting the enemy AI to make them stand still and let you beat them down. Try not cheating and you might find them a bit harder.

Unlike you, I'd rather not ruin the challenge of the game, and therefore the gameplay, by cheating.

Dude did you just pretend that you didn't read my 6 line post so you could act surprised as some weird way of proving your point? ?

I agree that it's too easy to win tournaments right now and hence any rewards from them are basically free. When the AI gets fixed and becomes at least a bit challenging then we can think about increasing the rewards. Right now it would just make the game even easier. Since we cannot increase the difficulty above regular atm we should avoid such changes.

Dude did you just pretend that you didn't read my 6 line post so you could act surprised as some weird way of proving your point? ?

I agree that it's too easy to win tournaments right now and hence any rewards from them are basically free. When the AI gets fixed and becomes at least a bit challenging then we can think about increasing the rewards. Right now it would just make the game even easier. Since we cannot increase the difficulty above regular atm we should avoid such changes.
Pretend? No. I started reading, got to the end of your first paragraph and started my reply. Finished the first part of my reply and moved on to your next paragraph. Added to my own reply. I'll admit it's maybe a weird way to respond to full messages but I don't really care. My point was clear enough.

I mean, you could wait until they stop you from cheating. Or you could just have some self control and not ruin the game for yourself by using a well known exploit.

Pretend? No. I started reading, got to the end of your first paragraph and started my reply. Finished the first part of my reply and moved on to your next paragraph. Added to my own reply. I'll admit it's maybe a weird way to respond to full messages but I don't really care. My point was clear enough.

I mean, you could wait until they stop you from cheating. Or you could just have some self control and not ruin the game for yourself by using a well known exploit.

So moving left or right around your opponent is cheating? ?

Anyways, whatever you call it, after it's fixed and AI fights smarter we can think about upgrading tournament rewards. Right now they are just a free bonus whenever you visit a town so increasing them would be detrimental to the game.

100% Agree with OP.

The tournaments are enough of a joke at this point with these changes that it honestly seems like a waste of resources to include them at all.

Instead, add some weight and rarity to the tournaments.

1) Increase either the amount you can bet, or the payout ratio, or allow us to set our own via in-game settings.
2) The rewards for the tournaments need to be elevated so that the reward value is a minimum of 500.
3) Decrease the frequency of tournaments. At any point I have 2 tournaments in close proximity. I should either have to travel long distances, or wait until another tournament opens up. No more than 2 tournaments per kingdom, per week.
4) Offer an invitation only grand tournament every quarter where the prize pool is doubled (or something exceedingly rare is offered), but it's comprised of previous tournament winners and named opponents, essentially increasing the difficulty.
5) As you win more tournaments, that should decrease your payout ratio since you're you're more likely to win than a nameless opponent. This would eventually return to normal after you have skipped a few tournaments. This would only impact betting. Tournament rewards would be unaffected.

Tournaments should be rewarding, but not a sole source to support your army.

Back
Top Bottom