Top North American Players of All Time (Fun Poll #3 Is Up)

Fun Poll #3: Who would win in an all time best of EU versus a best of NA match?

• Europeans

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • North Americans

Votes: 43 51.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calamity said:
blak said:
It's hard to take you seriously when you have Marnid and Tesla as your best all-rounders (sorry Marnid I love you buddy, you were a fantastic archer).
It's hard to take you serious when you have 3 Balions as the best Cav who ever played in NA.
The major difference being that I can make coherent arguments for them being there...kids these days.

Edit: Why is it that Scott is only considered a Balion when it fits someone's narrative? Not too long ago I remember having to hear about how Balion "outsourced our cav" when we brought in Akmar for one tournament. My how things change.

blak said:
Calamity said:
blak said:
It's hard to take you seriously when you have Marnid and Tesla as your best all-rounders (sorry Marnid I love you buddy, you were a fantastic archer).
It's hard to take you serious when you have 3 Balions as the best Cav who ever played in NA.
The major difference being that I can make coherent arguments for them being there...kids these days.

He originally just wanted to post the list but I told him to include reasoning. Which stand out to you?

Edit: Blak, I can't speak for Akmar (he did play in most early Balion scrims I can remember) but Scott was a Balion with our without your tag. He was there for almost every match.

Rake: uh
Rake: what
Rake: no way
Rake: kid
Clockwise: ☻
Rake: who do you think u are
Rake: what do you think this is
Rake: u think this is the forums
Rake: u think
Rake: i am making a list or somethink
Rake: wtf

ANOTHER list incoming!? Find out soon!

I'd take Angus as a top 10 cav. Ron had some brilliant plays too. Best ever? I dunno

As for Scott... No doubt he was a game-changer when he played.  But if we're talking "All Time," I can name 5 guys playing now that can do what he did, better.  Compare that with unique talents like Van,  Cal, or Redknight, and I think the difference is  pretty clear.

I don't see the need for all this hostility lol, I guess people take this stuff pretty seriously sometimes.

But @blak, to be far Tesla (Rocky) was an absolute beast all-rounder. As Cradoc posted a few pages ago, the dude seemed to thrive under pressure and could stay alive for longer than most players I've seen. He was a sick shot when he was fully active, his melee was always top notch, and he had a solid open cav game. He was also absolutely essential to most of Team Canada's biggest NC wins (not that there are many, but still).

I'd personally put a few others above Marnid though.

Ok then there are 2 balions on my cav list? Anyone here with actual experience in the competitive pre-UNAC 1 would know that claiming Marnid and Tesla were top 5 all-around players in history is just lunacy. Marnid is an extremely accomplished "ranger" though and an extremely accomplished rager  :lol:

Juve, your talking about SF_Tesla right?

All I remember about pre BiT tournament life is constant "regrouping" #catholic and drunken lust songs. Also first to 7 no side swap.

Juvenile said:
blak said:
Juve, your talking about SF_Tesla right?
Yessir. Maybe not the most consistent player, but he could really throw down when it counted.
I'm really sorry but I don't even have to go that far back to remember Balion dumping on SF in scrimmages, and he didn't really stand out.

blak said:
I only got played as inf & cav in CJTT and I can't remember how active you were at the time. I get the feeling Oodle listed me at the insistence of someone else *cough*Cal*cough* anyway. Maybe top 5 relative to others at the time, but I don't think I'd make top 5 in an all-time list.

Juvenile said:
I don't see the need for all this hostility lol
Because it's fun? :lol: Haven't had a good pissing match in ages, and credit where credit is due, Rhade is good for a laugh.

Jaime said:
It wouldn't really be a challenge at all Marnid, don't flatter yourself.
Didn't say it would be, and I'm not driving down to Texas to humor you guys.
How are you even relevant? You were some kind of glorified administrator that talks too much for a voice that annoying.
I'm not, but I don't play pretend in public.

Marnid reached a high all-around level way before I did. You could even say that he is the reason I started practicing other classes than just ranged, so I could be effective in any situation as any class just like him.

I believe this happened during his stay in wK, 1) because we had him playing other classes since we already had the legendary (Achilles - Lagalot - Robert) archery trio, and didn't really need a 4th archer, 2) he was the only one out of the wK archers that was actually competent at another class at the time, so he was the obvious choice to take on different roles.

My guess is that it was because we kind of forced him into playing other classes that he became a great all-rounder during his stay in wK.

Edited to clarify something for my shadow   :wink:

Look I don't want to take away anything from wk, by all accounts it looks like you've plowed through the opposition you've been given in recent history. I know you can't control your opposition, but at the same time I am looking at these rosters for UNAC 2 and later and I am just not seeing quite the same caliber of competition. It's like back when I was in nK and we would fight the hoboknights, yeah I could go ranged and look god-tier, but was I really? It's impossible to say, if all of Balions finest stayed active and motivated maybe wK would've beat our ass regardless. Either way the best players I've ever played with/against are on my list.

Well that's kind of the problem with an All-Time list, new players are criticized for being new and not having played against old players, but then you come on to only talk about good players from pre-historic times and don't even know any of the new players. Neither really help make a full "All-Time" list. All-Time encompasses both old and new, and there aren't really many people that have stayed from the very beginning, so RIP the idea of an accurate-all-encompassing all-time list.

blak said:
Look I don't want to take away anything from wk, by all accounts it looks like you've plowed through the opposition you've been given in recent history. I know you can't control your opposition, but at the same time I am looking at these rosters for UNAC 2 and later and I am just not seeing quite the same caliber of competition. It's like back when I was in nK and we would fight the hoboknights, yeah I could go ranged and look god-tier, but was I really? It's impossible to say, if all of Balions finest stayed active and motivated maybe wK would've beat our ass regardless. Either way the best players I've ever played with/against are on my list.

S2 - Balion, You're on the roster.
S4 - 11 players from Balion. You're on the team.

Not seeing the logic here.

wK major finals history -

NASTe -  S2 - wK lost to balion
CJTT - Wappaw (wK won)
UNAC 1 - BkS (wK won)
UNAC 2 - TMW (wK won)
UNAC 4 - TMW (wK won)
WPL - KoB (wK won)

You compare these to Hoboknights?

I think nostalgia and legendary status help make up for the lack of streams. Maybe some reputations are a little more deserved than others, but all the golden oldies have at least been mentioned somewhere in the thread.

valent69 said:
2) he was the only one out of the wK archers that was actually competent at another class at the time, so he was the obvious choice to take on different roles.
It didn't take long for you or Achilles to pass me up in archery, so it was for the best that I was played in other roles as I would have been on the bench otherwise. :lol:

Not sure where the belief of "Achilles lives in Lag's shadow" came from. I've always had a great respect for Achilles as a player and it's well-earned. Lag is (or was, at least) better with other classes, but the two are almost indistinguishable as archers in my mind.

Calamity said:
I think it was just an exaggerated example to make a point, not a direct comparison.

Calamity said:
blak said:

S2 - Balion, You're on the roster.
S4 - 11 players from Balion. You're on the team.

Not seeing the logic here.

wK major finals history -

NASTe -  S2 - wK lost to balion
CJTT - Wappaw (wK won)
UNAC 1 - BkS (wK won)
UNAC 2 - TMW (wK won)
UNAC 4 - TMW (wK won)
WPL - KoB (wK won)

Didn't play most of the matches in UNAC 2 or 4...MD would add me to the roster as a formality...in case he needed me (our activity was scarce to say the least). And no the competition wasn't as bad as say the hoboknights, but Balion and BkS were winning when TMW often times wasn't even the third or fourth best teams in the pool, much less the clear cut 2nd best team.

Achilles_TheIV said:
valent69 said:
we already had the legendary Achilles
:oops:

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here.
5fb550e7bc32acb749b78b626f8820b9.png
ed7070a61a8bbd060ed4535b152bff90.jpg
0d64a240df980177f22482ed41170073.png
d79412ae50299670cdd4141f33278300.png

WE DID IT ACHILLES, WE DID IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom