SP - World Map The world Calradia needs roads in detail, here's how.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think having the AI moving on roads and "fixed paths" could be interesting.
  • We could have roads matching trade routes, caravans, peasants and all non-fighting parties which paths are, in general, repetitive.
  • Moving on roads would be faster and safer (you could have a bonus to scouting and bonus to defense in autoresolves/AI battles to the defenders mentioned above)
  • If a (non-fighting) AI party moving on a road spots an enemy then, they could turn around and flee or even go off road (you could have a speed calculation that would define the best option, to whatever terrain that causes the biggest difference in speed beetwen the defender and the agressor.
  • You could have upgrades to the roads. (Dirt road; Gravel road; Stone-paved road- giving bonuses to speed...)
    • Starting the game with only dirt roads and maybe a few stone-paved ones connecting major cities.
    • The upgrades could be a decision proposed to the clan/kingdom. Costing money and influence. There could be a clan/kingdom fund where Lords would give money (the more you give, more influence you gain)
  • For fighting parties (armies, bandits, looters...) and "non-fixed path" parties wouldn't be affected by any of this changes. It would not work, afaik, or maybe it can be donne, I don't know how the pathfinding works.

Roads is a great idea, but as a software developer I don't think having the AI calculate whether its faster to go offroad or not is a good idea as it may be expensive computationally when you have a LOT of ai parties on the map. Rather, I think the rules for following roads should depend on party type and size. For example, caravans, villages, and armies follow roads unless they are chasing/running away from something. Bandits and noble parties don't. A player led army would not be restricted to roads but would get significant off-road speed penalties.

Back
Top Bottom