SP - General The way troop movement speed is calculated, makes balancing more difficult for the devs and modders, I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Waybook

Sergeant
As I understand, currently troop movement speed is calculated based on their athletics skill and the weight of their equipment.

This means, whenever a change is made to the weight of an equipment piece, it will change the running speed of every troop that uses that item. Also, when one item is removed from a troop or replaced with something that has different weight, then the troop movement speed changes again. To keep the movement speeds unchanged, athletics skill would have to be adjusted. This could become a headache for the modding community and the developers themselves.

As someone who likes to mess around with the .xml files of the game, I'm already finding this system to be a hassle - if I don't want to figure out what the new athletics value should be after changing an equipment set, then I have to make changes that don't significantly change the total weight or else the troop could end up running too fast or too slow.

Here's my suggestion:
Add a new attribute to troops, which determines their running speed instead. Then troops with heavy armor could be given speed x, medium armor could get 1,1x and light armor could get 1,2x. Or something like that. This would make balancing movement speed independent of balancing equipment sets and item weights.

I know the current system makes everyone play by the same rules (troops, companions, lords, player). But for the sake of making balancing easier for everyone, I think making troop movement speed independent from armor weight and athletics would be better.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom